RAGBRAI XLIX registration is now open!

Camping at start and end cities

Can we camp the night prior to the race at the starting city, and the night after the race at the end city? I’ll be riding solo. Thanks

7 Replies

jwsknk, March 28, 2015 at 10:27 pm

Almost every body will get there Saturday for the ride. Some do stay in the ending town Saturday night but most get packed up and headed home

Sexton, March 29, 2015 at 4:34 am

Its not a race.

“Bicycle Bill”, March 29, 2015 at 5:22 am

The answer is generally yes.  A lot of people arrive at the start town on Friday (or even Thursday); and there are usually a small percentage of rider who will stay overnight on Saturday in the end town rather than go through all the hassle of hooking up and getting out of town on Saturday afternoon.  I’ve done it myself … and had a really great time on a Saturday night in the end town.

Besides, it’s the weekend; who has to go back to work on a Sunday?

-“BB”-

Gypsy Rose, March 29, 2015 at 7:30 am

I’ve often camped in the start town on the Friday before the ride and typically camp in the end town after the ride is over. It’s quite a scene to watch the transformation of the start town as things get set up and the RAGBRAI community grows. On the other end, I usually arrive at the Mississippi after folks have left town. Not much left but the signs of the stampede that passed through earlier in the day.

And, speaking of the last day of the ride, while I understand that folks are dealing with tight schedules, it sure would be nice if there wasn’t such a rush to get to the river, pack up and blast out of town. I wish more riders would allocate the entire day to RAGBRAI, spend the night and then travel home on Sunday. As it is, that final day of rushing to the river can result in an experience along the route that is quite different from the first six days.

Best,
~ Kevin

jwsknk, March 29, 2015 at 10:21 am

The register could start by making that last day shorter instead of the current trend of longer. Be nicer for the pass through towns that day too. We try to get out of there by 5:00 that last day. Get everything unloaded before dark at home. Some spend Sunday driving home, a lot spend the day doing laundry, setting the tent back up to clean and dry out ( probably got packed up damp Saturday morning)

“Bicycle Bill”, March 29, 2015 at 4:41 pm

I think the trend to longer days was in part a response to what happened in Elkader on RAGBRAI VIII.  By making the final day longer it was thought that all the rowdy little bikers would be in their beds before midnight and there wouldn’t be so much hell-raising on Friday night.

It also was getting tough to find towns less than forty miles from the end points on the river that were large enough to be able to handle the throng.  Putting up with five thousand people for one night in a town like Wapello (RAGBRAI VII) or Keosauqua (RAGBRAI IX) could be done then; jamming close to 20K in those locations now — not so easily accomplished.

-“BB”-

Gypsy Rose, March 29, 2015 at 5:18 pm

BB: Putting up with five thousand people for one night in a town like Wapello (RAGBRAI VII) or Keosauqua (RAGBRAI IX) could be done then

Ah, those were the days!

Although I very much enjoy the ride in its current form, back in the early days when we ALL camped in the same “campground” it was a tighter community. Thanks for the reminder, Bill.

Best,
~ Kevin

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI