Camping Friday At the start town?

Is there camping Friday at the start town? They say there is for the end town, but don’t specify the start town.

I’m trying to decide if I should fly in Friday so I have tons of time to get my bike and stuff together or Saturday (arriving mid afternoon).

TIA!

10 Replies

Scott Thomson, June 13, 2019 at 10:42 am

(just need to factor in time to grab and assemble my shipped bike too)

Brian Wallenburg, June 13, 2019 at 2:07 pm

Last time the ride started in Council Bluffs we camped on Friday night. I’d say there were 100 or more tents and campers set up. There’s a fair amount of green space so you feel like you’re in the way.

Roy Trent, June 13, 2019 at 2:10 pm

Here is a link from the Council Bluffs page. Shows Mid America complex site and you can see the camping areas.
https://ragbrai.com/forums/topic/council-bluffs-bag-drop-location/#post-1305438

Roy Trent, June 13, 2019 at 3:24 pm

Sorry, looks like I grabbed the wrong link earlier.
Try this one- http://cbpw.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=94c061c02b484a26a3cff731d8b38b7b

Kelli Libby, June 15, 2019 at 12:12 pm

Lost and Found Adventures has a motel option for Friday night with airport pickup, OR we have our tents up and several of our riders come out and stay Friday night with us. We provide airport pick up for our riders. Check us out…
http://lfadventures.com/options-fees.html
Or call Cheryl she loves to answer questions. 402-689-0869

DenBiker, June 15, 2019 at 2:49 pm

Scott, I think you can say that camping in Council Bluffs on Friday night is quite doable. Now to the other part of your inquiry – should you fly in on Friday or Saturday. If it were me (and all other things being equal) I’d do Friday. You will have enough time to assemble the bike, get your stuff and set up your tent if you wait until Saturday afternoon to arrive. But that may be all you have tine to do. Arriving Friday you can do all that stuff, have time for a short ride, visit the Expo and last but certainly not the least as a bonus you get to select your campsite before you are joined by a few thousand others! Things do get hectic on Saturday afternoon – if you can arrive Friday and skip all the stress. RAGBRAI (if nothing else) is a week away from stress – no need to start your adventure all tied up in knots.

Richard Stevens, June 17, 2019 at 2:34 pm

I am driving a small motor home as a support vehicle and have never been to Ragbrai previously. I understand that there will be a designated area for parking it at each overnight town. I do not know, however, if that includes Council Bluffs or, if so, whether that would include Friday night.

David Daniels, June 17, 2019 at 3:58 pm

Scott,

Yes, there’s camping available on Friday night in CB. You really want to fly on Friday and get setup early and enjoy the show! There is nothing like watching RAGBRAI come together at the starting town! Early Saturday morning the locals and the few early birds, like you, will be the only ones around. Enjoy, go for breakfast at sit down restaurant… Then mid day they start rolling in slowly and in a couple of hours it is full on here they come!!!!

Enjoy you early arrival and have a great ride!

cheers,
just dave

3 Pedal, June 25, 2019 at 9:27 am

Yes, you can camp Friday night, maybe even Thursday night. Our first year doing RAGBRAI, we arrived Saturday. Every since, we arrive Friday. It is nice to get in and have a down day before the ride starts. It is amazing to see the place go from empty to packed Saturday. I’ll get in the last minute shopping, get my gear sorted, spend some time (and money) in the Expo. I’ll be the first in line with the bike shops for a final wheel true.

Scott Thomson, June 25, 2019 at 11:08 am

Thanks everyone, I ended up flying into Chicago and arriving on Saturday with the charter out of there. Next year I might take advantage of the Friday camping and cheaper airfare though!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015