"Camping" in a Semi Trailer

For the life of me I can’t remember the service that provides “rooms” to rent in a semi that moves from town to town so you don’t have to pack and unpack. Does anyone know the name of that service? I can’t find it anywhere.

9 Replies

“Bicycle Bill”, February 1, 2017 at 12:45 am

“Joe’s Bunkhouse” … http://www.joeswetshack.com/bunkhouse.html

He also has a mobile shower installation that has also turned up on RAGBRAI in the past … http://www.joeswetshack.com/portableshower.html

-“BB”-

John L, February 1, 2017 at 4:17 am

Pork Belly Ventures has one too.

Amanda, February 1, 2017 at 8:11 am

This looks awesome! I wonder how much $ it is?

sarahstreiff, February 1, 2017 at 10:18 am

Pork Belly Ventures has semis with private rooms for rent.

KenH, February 1, 2017 at 10:47 am

The cost is immaterial because the demand is high enough that they are all almost certainly booked up already! If you have any interest I would start contacting the two suppliers noted above NOW!! Good luck and maybe the demand is not as high as I have been told….

There is also an outfit that books off route motel rooms and shuttles you to and from the route every day. That is an option that those with a support vehicle and a desire to sleep indoors could do on their own as well. You still have to move your stuff every night and you miss a lot of the overnight town RAGBRAI culture but you do sleep in an actual bed, use an actual toilet, and bathe in a private shower so it has its perks. Depending on the route layout from year to year it might be feasible to find a town and motel that one could use two or even three nights running to avoid some of the moving around. There’s no wrong way to do RAGBRAI so feel free to think outside the box.

T. Gap Woo, February 1, 2017 at 2:47 pm

KenH: There is also an outfit that books off route motel rooms and shuttles you to and from the route every day. That is an option that those with a support vehicle and a desire to sleep indoors could do on their own as well. You still have to move your stuff every night and you miss a lot of the overnight town RAGBRAI culture but you do sleep in an actual bed, use an actual toilet, and bathe in a private shower so it has its perks. Depending on the route layout from year to year it might be feasible to find a town and motel that one could use two or even three nights running to avoid some of the moving around.

This is exactly how Mrs. Woo and I handle the lodging issue! While I’m riding, Mrs. Woo makes the lodging arrangements. While there may be automotive “backtracking” of a few miles to get to the day’s start, a twenty-mile detour is nothing, considering that we drove over 1300 miles to get to RAGBRAI. It occasionally works out that we can stay in the same place twice: Pella in 2013; Ventura in 2014; and, Cedar Rapids in 2015, for example. In an effort to support local businesses, we’ll stay in “Mom and Pop” motels where possible. After all, we only need a bed, bath, microwave and refrigerator. A continental breakfast, if available, is an added bonus.

In addition, Mrs. Woo stops at a nearby grocery store, usually a Hy-Vee, and buys fresh fruit, veggies and easy-to-prepare food for the evening meal. We haven’t starved yet!

See you along the I-O-Way in July.

Sandaltan ., February 1, 2017 at 8:32 pm

Pure comfort I bet.

RIDE RIGHT

Sandaltan ., February 1, 2017 at 8:35 pm

Joe’s Camp. More comfort.

RIDE RIGHT

Belto gator, May 18, 2017 at 2:18 pm

We have used Joe’s Bunkhouse for the last 6 years. It is the only way to travel. Air conditioned mobile hotel room. No unpacking, no tent set up comfortable beds. Full bathrooms with real showers and practically endless hot water. He cooks dinner 3-4 times a week. Even free laundry service as frequently as desired.

Last year he built several VIP trailers. Up to 9 people in one half of a 53foot trailer with its own internal bathroom/shower. We have booked one of these VIPS and have several spots available.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015