RAGBRAI XLIX registration is now open!

Camping

We are wondering how the camping works through Ragbrai. We plan on having a driver this year. We are just not sure how hard it is to find the Ragbrai camping area, and how do we find showers?

31 Replies

Michrider !!!, February 1, 2018 at 10:19 am

Follow the RAGBRAI signs. Check out information on this site.
https://ragbrai.com/about/general-information/

BTW, RAGBRAI don’t care!!!

KenH, February 1, 2018 at 10:50 am

Make sure you get a vehicle pass for your support vehicle. This requires that you set up a team with at least three members who will all register as part of the team. You say “we” and your driver counts as one of the three required team members so I assume you will have three or more total and you will be able to get the car pass.

In the last couple of weeks before the ride starts the driver maps will be released on this website. Download those, follow the support vehicle route, and you should be greeted at the edge of town by people who can direct you to the camp. But don’t count on it, be sure to download the maps that each town will provide on their individual websites just in case and make sure the driver has them. You can also stop and ask anyone who looks “official”, they are usually wearing tee shirts or something that will allow you to spot them.

Shower vendors are usually near the main campgrounds and any large auxiliary campgrounds. They are usually semi trailers that are hooked up to city water and sewer. Some charters have their own showers which are probably open to the public, I know that Pork Belly Venture’s are. The high school is usually open for showers, any local colleges may be open for showers, the YMCA will usually be open for showers, there are often shower facilities at fair grounds, and the local swimming pool/aquatic center will usually be open for showers — and swimming!!

bugs11, February 1, 2018 at 1:47 pm

I have a question regarding bringing support vehicle pulling a camping trailer. Do the camping areas allow the use of a quiet generator? Wondering if it’s possible to run the air conditioning in the camp trailer at night.

Barry Schnoor, February 1, 2018 at 2:01 pm

How about Hammocks? I rode the Great Allegheny Passage last summer, and overnighted in a hammock. It was wonderful. Hammocks allowed?

Gerald Nall, February 1, 2018 at 3:40 pm

Hammocks are allowed. Saw several last year. Only concern I would have would be finding trees/poles/etc to tie to at every camp ground.

Barry Schnoor, February 1, 2018 at 3:47 pm

I’ve tied to parking meters before…but most towns don’t like that…
Fingers crossed I’ll find trees somewhere.

Niles, February 1, 2018 at 4:21 pm

Not only quiet generator, you can use LOUD one in general camping site, too. I experienced my camping neighbors did so in 2016.

But is it nice to do so? I don’t like it. But again, there are also more realistic reason that maybe there are just not enough space to a separate RV camping site. Being considerate is nice but not required nor enforced.

jwsknk, February 1, 2018 at 4:31 pm

Up Under “The Ride” this is what RAGBRAI has to say . “If you have a vehicle pass and are bringing a self-contained motor home, you need to be aware that the campgrounds will not be equipped with electrical or water hook-ups. All overnight communities will, however, have a designated dumping station. Additionally if you will be operating a generator in the campgrounds, please be courteous of your fellow tent campers.

Campgrounds must be quiet after 9 p.m. Late-night noisemakers will be asked to leave the campgrounds”

I though it used to be a 10pm request to shut down generators. Don’t see that right away, could be deeper in.

KenH, February 2, 2018 at 8:19 am

Frequently the RV campground is isolated from other campgrounds so running generators all night is not an issue. I respect the rules of the area I am camped in. If, as we were last year, we are traveling with a sister team that tent camps in the areas that have few motorhomes and trailers then I don’t run the generator after we go to bed, which is as early as most people. If we pull into a campground where there are other generators already running then I run ours too. So far I have never been asked to shut it down but I would if I were asked.

Personally I do not mind steady random noise at night. Talking and music, loud impulsive noise, those things will wake me up and keep me up until they stop. A sea of generators will not. And that is a good thing because, trust me, the generator always sounds loudest inside the motorhome. I’ve slept like a baby on the bed that is right over the generator bay many times, it don’t get no louder than that anywhere! For me the constant random sound of the generator is quite effective in masking the sounds that are most likely to disturb my sleep.

But as I say when we are parked in an area where generators are not the rule then I shut down mine at bedtime. If we are in an area where it is unclear that all night is ok I will run the genny if the others want it and I will shut it down on request. Most of the time if you stick to the RV campground you can run it as much as you like.

jwsknk, February 2, 2018 at 10:19 am

It’s not just the noise, it’s also the fumes. There was a group last year next to us and the exhaust was blowing straight into us. And the wouldn’t shut it down until real late, like midnight. And said they were starting it up at 5am to make coffee. for themselves. at least the wind shifted overnight.

Barry Schnoor, February 5, 2018 at 9:57 am

What happens on day 7…in Davenport?

Same deal as the other overnight towns? Campgrounds / showers etc. available to RAGBRAI participants, or are we just cut loose once we hit the Mississippi? Anyone know where the final resting place is in Davenport. Trying to figure out if I need a hotel room that night…or if we’ll be allowed to camp overnight in Davenport?

jwsknk, February 5, 2018 at 10:21 am

there is usually a campground in the end town after the ride. probably won’t be very crowded. Dip site will be released when the route details come out. But along the Mississippi River in Davenport it has been known to change at the last minute due to flooding.

KenH, February 5, 2018 at 2:23 pm

I’ve been known to move the motorhome to point the fumes in the most courteous direction! Unless it was a dead calm night I would think that if you were bothered by the fumes you were just too close. I would not set up a tent in close proximity to any motor vehicle at RAGBRAI. There’s been some bad experiences with that.

Mark Swanstrom, February 8, 2018 at 11:07 pm

Last year in Charles City my group was assigned to the practice football field. We were in tents. It was not listed as a RV area. However, that was not the case. We were almost surrounded by RVs. And quite a few of them had their generators running all night. The local police would tell them they had to shut down by 10PM. But that was futile.

Anonymous, February 8, 2018 at 11:59 pm

Barry,

Davenport provided camping on both Saturdays for RAGBRAI 2015, in Centennial Park. It’s downtown, right smack dab along the mighty Mississippi, with a minor league baseball diamond, a bandshell, and close access to the Downtown festivities. A beautiful place to camp out. Chances are high, it will a repeat location this year as well.

http://www.davenportragbrai.com/camping.php

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI