Can the repair shops accommodate a 36″ wheel?

I’ll be riding a 36″ large wheel. In the event I have a hub or spoke problem, I’d need a shop that can accommodate and lace a 36″ wheel. The Park Tool TS-2 truing stand has extenders that can facilitate fixes at this size, but not all shops use this truing stand model. Just trying to figure out in advance who I should go to in the event I need a wheel-related repair.

7 Replies

Chris, July 7, 2021 at 10:09 am

Hey Kyle:

Cool that you’re bringing a big-wheeler to the party! We don’t see many of them.

Most of the shops have TS2 or TS2.2’s sitting on their benches; I think I saw a single Pedro’s stand, but the Park is the standard. I can’t comment on their having the extensions, though. If you’re worried about it….from 30 seconds of Google, it appears that the extensions are relatively small and are about 50 USD. Might be worth getting your own pair and tucking them away for the peace of mind.

See you in Late July,
-Chris

Kyle Campbell, July 7, 2021 at 10:21 am

Thanks Chris! Good to know that most shops have the TS2. I never knew that the extenders were an accessory you could buy separate …. good suggestion. The search results I found only accommodate up to 29″. Did you see a specific 36″ + or would these work: https://www.parktool.com/product/truing-stand-extensions-adaptors-ts-2ext-3

Chris, July 7, 2021 at 10:55 am

Hey Kyle:
This is getting interesting :)
Park says that their TS2.2 can handle “up to a 29″ with the tire”, but they recommend the adapters if you have an extra-wide hub. A 29″ rim is an ISO 622mm rim. Your 36″ is an ISO 787mm, so a good 150mm larger in rim diameter. Looking at the pictures of the tire clearance in the video, I’d wager a bet that your 36″ with no tire on would just fit on the TS2.2 with extensions. I am guessing, though, as I don’t have the extensions to put on my TS2.2 to try. I don’t see any 36″ specific extension, though, either on Park’s site or at any of the other usual suspects.

Give Park Tool a call and ask what their experience is with it. They’ve been super, super friendly to me anytime I’ve called over the years. I’m no one special or anything; just some guy calling their support line.

Aside to that: even if these don’t work out, a good wheelsmith can use your frame and a few simple tools to rebuild or retrue you wheel. It’s not elegant and it takes a little while, but it works. I’m sure there’s at least one tech with RAGBRAI who would have experience with that.

See you in late July….
-Chris

andytetmeyer, July 7, 2021 at 12:19 pm

I would worry about the spokes much more than the stand. You can always work on the wheel in the frame. No shop will have a can of spoke stretch with them, and I would be shocked if you could find a 375mm spoke on the ride (or almost anywhere for that matter) If you don’t have spokes, but you do have a problem your best bet is to keep in mind that in an emergency you can double thread a spoke section and splice it onto a shorter spoke with the longest nipple you can find. There might be a shop on the ride with a hozan spoke threader.

Kyle Campbell, July 7, 2021 at 12:41 pm

Thanks Andy and Chris! I do have extra 372mm spokes that I’ll have in my overnight bag. It is a long story but I have a customized interally geared hub and will have a backup, plain hub. So I’ll have 40 extra spokes with me :)

andytetmeyer, July 7, 2021 at 1:47 pm

you’re fine then.

KenH, July 8, 2021 at 9:52 am

One year at RAGBRAI I noticed an abnormally large bike parked in towns on two or three occasions. It looked like a normal bike just scaled up to a larger size. Then one day I came upon the bike and its rider out on the open road so I was able to keep pace with him for a while and chat. As you might expect he was a big dude and while I do not remember the size of the wheels on his custom built bike I do remember that he told me they were built up with unicycle wheel components. In fact you can occasionally see people doing the ride with large wheeled “road” unicycles. And then there are the penny-farthing crowd. So you may not be alone and I agree with the others that there must be some shops on the ride that can assist you if you have trouble.

But more than that, please post a link to a picture of what you are riding!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI