Carpal tunnel

Any tips, advice or equipment suggestions for biking with carpal tunnel. Just finally figuring out why my hands feel like sparklers and will be having surgery but hoping to push through this ride. I am way behind on training (life happened) so it’s already going to hurt. But this HURTS!
I have a couple kinds if wrist braces but not making a huge difference so far. And obviously I am limited on time since I just finally got a diagnosis.
Thanks!

5 Replies

HelenP, July 15, 2021 at 5:14 pm

Would a recumbent bike help? It looks like there are bike rentals for Ragbrai.

Chris, July 15, 2021 at 5:48 pm

I’ll second the recumbent.

Barring that, and being that we are low on time. Disclaimer: I’m not a doctor, sports medicine person, or anything like that. Just my thoughts on the matter: double-wrap your handlebars with bar tape to reduce shock, maybe raise your stem to sit more upright and get weight off your wrists, or get a shorter, riser stem to really get you upright. Maybe bar-end shifters to keep you from having to rotate your wrists to shift gears (I’m assuming you have integrated brake/shift levers).

The bar tape and stem shouldn’t be a problem for you or a shop to take care of before the ride, should you chose to do that. Bar-ends are a bigger leap, but if you had a set laying around….

Again, just my 0.02.
-Chris

Mike Howe, July 15, 2021 at 6:05 pm

Maybe adjust your stem? Or if you can get a bike fit, tell the fitter about your hands/wrists. They maybe able to change your positioning, stem and/or handlebars a little to relieve some of the stress put on your wrists.

HelenP, July 15, 2021 at 6:15 pm

Would a suspension fork work?

HelenP, July 15, 2021 at 6:17 pm

A lower seat position seens to put less stress on hands & arms.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI