Registration deadline extended to April 15 for weeklong rider, weeklong non-rider, and vehicles passes!

carrying gear?

This my first year, does anybody carry all their gear with them or does everyone use the truck service.

2 Replies

KenH, April 5, 2021 at 10:59 am

There was a short, recent thread about this which you can find here.

Yes, people do carry their own gear on this ride Most do not, some do. Among those who do some are bandits, some are not. So you might be mistaken for a bandit even though you are wearing a wristband. I have never done it so I can’t tell you much else. There are older threads on the subject and if the latest revision of the website/forum has give us a search function that works you might be able to find them. I have not tried that and given the past performance I am not expecting that search will work any better now than before but its worth a shot.

As I sometimes point out you can go halfsies if you like. Carry the gear you consider most critical on your bike and let the RAGBRAI trucks carry the rest to lessen your load. This would also let you exceed the 50 pound limit by carrying the excess on your bike.

But if you decide to be a “bagger” (I don’t think that is a term of derision, I hope not), you will have company.

This reply was modified 1 week, 5 days ago by KenH.

Matt, April 5, 2021 at 10:59 am

You’ll see a few people laden with all of their gear, very few. They are typically well set up for long hauls and appear experienced with that. The truck service is included with your tag along with the public camping area. They are very efficient at moving your gear, but put it in a plastic bag on rainy days as gear is placed on the ground in their staging area. Everything is explained on the web site and paperwork that comes with your tags. Their web site also shares some charter services https://ragbrai.com/charters/ , if you prefer a more personalized approach. You can certainly find others out there too. Carry your necessities each day as you would on any long ride. Don’t forget a poncho for rain and cash for all the stops. My advice, let someone else worry about your gear and just enjoy the ride.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI