RAGBRAI LI Route Announced on Jan. 27!

Cartersville, Cartersville, Cartersville!!!!

How many times do you think the Staties will shut down Cartersville this year? I think they were shut down 4 times the last time.

10 Replies

jwsknk, May 18, 2017 at 10:24 am

That was the “town” where the guy had built the giant ropeswing and tower at the pond?

ridingwest, May 25, 2017 at 3:55 pm

They had the tower with the rope swing and zip line.

Luv 2 Ski, May 26, 2017 at 1:08 pm

Looking at Google it looks like the swing is still in place. I hope it is open for business this year when we ride by. That looks like fun.

ST thanks for posting the link. Sounds like it was pretty harmless fun in 2010.

jwsknk, May 30, 2017 at 1:25 pm

I left right after naked santa did the plunge. Actually should have stayed for another drink to try to erase that memory.

KenH, May 31, 2017 at 9:04 am

On balance it sounds like it was pretty tame, actually. The police may have been called in because of reports of nudity but it sounds as though they may have shut it down over concerns that it was about to get out of hand. And the property owner did not necessarily disagree with that assessment.

I found the comments from the locals about RAGBRAI in general to be far more interesting. Some of them clearly have the wrong idea about how the majority of us behave and some clearly have no use for us at all. Maybe that is something we should remember as we ride, maybe that is just the reaction of a few curmudgeons who won’t like anything out of the ordinary and there is nothing to be done about it. I mean, I was mightily inconvenienced by the huge crowds celebrating the Cubs’ win last fall, but it is once a year at most and it is worth it. And if they do make a habit of it (not looking good so far this year!) I would adjust my commuting plans for that day to avoid the mess rather than complain about it and try to have it shut down.

jwsknk, May 31, 2017 at 10:46 am

It may have been shut down due to the nudity being so visible from the highway or it may have just been the designated time for that town to close to keep to the 10 mph timeline getting everyone in by 6:00. (actually 6:00 is when all the support staff is in.) Don’t remember how far out the town was from the finish, if it was 20 then the closing time would have been 4:00.

KenH, May 31, 2017 at 4:00 pm

According to Geobike, Cartersville was 25 miles from day’s end in Charles City so you are right that the closing time could have been part of the reason for the shutdown and perhaps even the biggest reason. If the police really had been there 3 times before to encourage better behavior they may have gone in the last time specifically to make sure it closed up on schedule. Hey, the folks at Beekmans tell me they get closed down by the police at least occasionally too!!

BTW, Mr. Geobike has announced that he is retiring with 22 years of faithful service after this year. I hope someone steps up to take over for him, it is nice to have all that information on tap.

“Bicycle Bill”, June 1, 2017 at 8:57 am

“I mean, I was mightily inconvenienced by the huge crowds celebrating the Cubs’ win last fall, but it is o̷n̷n̷c̷e̷ ̷a̷ ̷y̷e̷a̷r̷ once a century at most and it is worth it.”

Fixed it for you, Ken…..

-“BB”-

KenH, June 1, 2017 at 10:36 am

The last time the Cubs won the Series they won it back to back. That is not looking likely this year!

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XLV – 2017’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters