Catholic Mass?

Hello all!

Last year I enjoyed going to daily mass along the route with Bishop Zinkula – I’m wondering if anyone knows if he will be doing it again and offering mass?

Thanks!
Mary D.

12 Replies

KenH, July 12, 2019 at 1:39 pm

I am protestant so I don’t get his memos (!) but it is possible to search on Google and come up with this link to his RAGBRAI profile. He does not have a wristband number and it does not appear that his group of last year is active this year if you follow the link to it on his profile page. You could click on each of the members of his group to see if any of them are active this year and know of his plans. I am sure that was a special experience last year.

I’ve enjoyed attending services at various churches with fellow riders and townspeople the last few years. I look for Saturday evening services and this year I’m planning on being at St. John Lutheran in Council Bluffs at 5:30 on Saturday. I have attended Catholic masses in Glenwood and Onawa and an interdenominational service at a Reformed Church in Orange City. It is a good way to begin the ride with some perspective on more enduring things and while I can understand the desire to keep touch with one’s own denomination it is also good to reach out to your brothers and sisters in others occasionally too.

I suspect you can at least find a Saturday evening mass somewhere in the Council Blufs/Omaha area if you try. God bless your search for a spiritual connection this upcoming RAGBRAI week!

Mary Deis, July 12, 2019 at 6:54 pm

Thanks so much for your response! I’ll definetly have to check out all those options. Happy riding!

just randy, July 12, 2019 at 7:23 pm

The facebook page for Ends of the Earth Cycling now has the nightly non-denominational worship schedule posted.

facebook dot com /endsoftheearthcycling

This reply was modified 4 months ago by  just randy.

KenH, July 12, 2019 at 9:13 pm

I forgot one RAGBRAI church experience. It was also a Catholic mass. St. Patricks in Imogene which was the gravel loop town in 2016 had recently been renovated and welcomed riders in to see the renovation work. It was a lovely building and they were also offering an extra mass near midday for the riders convenience. I happened to walk in the door about 15 minutes before the mass started and I had just been in a mass in Glenwood the previous night. But once they started shooing the gawkers out for the service there were so very few left that I felt compelled to stay to show some gratitude for the extra effort they made on our behalf. Two masses in two days is a personal record for this old protestant! All the biblical texts for the two services were the same and I believe the liturgy was too but the pastors did preach sermons from different texts which was a nice bit of variety. I play bass for a church band that covers two identical services every Sunday. So I am used to repeats down to the same sermon.

I will say that the two Saturday masses I have attended at RAGBRAI were just packed to the gills and the pastors could not have been more delighted either time. So, if you can find a religious service to attend at RAGBRAI whether from your own tradition or another, your presence will most likely be noted and well appreciated.

Ed Chimahusky, July 13, 2019 at 6:53 am

I found this link. It shows mass times in various towns from Saturday through Tuesday. It’s all I could find.
https://www.dmdiocese.org/events/masses-celebrated-along-ragbrai-route?event=85729fa3-86ea-4f49-92e4-157c7a6e12d8

Mary Deis, July 14, 2019 at 7:55 pm

Thanks so much!

Mary Deis, July 14, 2019 at 7:55 pm

Thank you!!

Erin Steadland, July 15, 2019 at 1:00 pm

I use an app called <masstimes.org> that is really helpful while on vacation. It shows closest Catholic churches, Mass times, maps, etc. I would love to know if there is a priest who will be celebrating daily early morning Mass at Ragbrai. What a great way to start the ride!

3 Pedal, July 15, 2019 at 1:38 pm

I have not found anything yet on Saturday afternoon/evening mass. Some years, there is info on a special mass Saturday at the start town for riders. We have been to mass at football stands, gyms and the occasional church.

Erin Steadland, July 15, 2019 at 5:39 pm

(This was posted by Ed Chimahusky previously…)
Saturday, July 20 — Council Bluffs
St. Peter: Saturday 4 p.m.
Corpus Christi: Saturday 4 p.m. and 6 p.m. at Queen of Apostles worship center
St. Patrick: Saturday 5 p.m.

Michael Boggs, July 15, 2019 at 5:47 pm

RAGBRAI Masses

Saturday, July 20, Council Bluffs
St. Peter Church, 4 p.m.
Corpus Christi Parish, 4 p.m. and 6 p.m. at Queen of Apostles worship center
St. Patrick Church, 5 p.m.

Sunday, July 21 morning, Council Bluffs
St. Peter: 8 a.m., 10 a.m. and noon
Corpus Christi: 7:45 a.m., 11:15 a.m., 2 p.m. (Spanish) at Queen of Apostles worship site;
9:30 a.m. at Holy Family worship site; 9:30 a.m., Our Lady of Carter Lake
St. Patrick: 7:30 a.m., 9 a.m., 11 a.m.

Sunday, July 21 evening, Atlantic
Ss. Peter & Paul Church, 6 p.m.

Monday, July 22 afternoon, Winterset
St. Joseph Church: Mass at 3 p.m. The parish will host a pasta dinner from 3:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. The church will serve as a waiting/cooling area for those attending the dinner.

Tuesday, July 23 evening, Indianola
St. Thomas Aquinas Church: 6 p.m.

Wednesday, July 24 morning, Indianola
St. Thomas Aquinas Church, 8 a.m.

Wednesday, July 24 evening, Centerville
St. Mary Catholic Church, 6 p.m.

Thursday, July 25 evening, Fairfield
St. Mary Catholic Church, 6 p.m.

Friday, July 26 evening, Burlington
Divine Mercy Parish, St. Paul Catholic Church, 6 p.m.

Taken from this article posted at Diocese of Davenport.

Mary Deis, July 16, 2019 at 5:39 pm

Thanks so much for this info!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015