Catholic Mass on Sunday?

Does anyone know of a mass Sunday on the route that may be more catered to RAGBRAI riders or less formal?

5 Replies

KenH, July 20, 2017 at 7:49 am

You can do what this Protestant hopes to do and attend Mass at St Marys in Alton (St Josephs in Granville has one at the same time), 5pm on Saturday. I’m sure they have Sunday morning services as well but you might want to check with them because I hear that some churches in Orange City are delaying their morning services because members won’t be able to get to them due to all the bicycles in the way! I don’t think any church will turn someone away because they are dressed for cycling on RAGBRAI Sunday so I would not worry about “formal” but if you were hoping for an abbreviated service to attend, geared to cyclists, I do not know of any.

I think we need make an effort to encourage the Register to promote this idea among churches in the start towns. I’ve suggested it to them and the response I got indicates they think we are already being served, which I see no evidence of. You may quite understandably have a different opinion of the Reformation than I but good grief this is the 500th anniversary year of the 95 Theses, Orange City has Reformed Churches on every street corner, and precisely none of them are taking the opportunity to reach out to us to celebrate the event! The Register must be doing absolutely nothing to promote special services for us if this opportunity has gone by the wayside without any interest shown by local churches.

I really enjoyed attending Mass at Holy Rosary in Glenwood last year on Saturday evening by intent and then again at St. Patrick’s in Imogene the next day simply because they had scheduled a special service for us and fewer than a dozen of us showed up and I wanted them to have some reward for their kindness even if only from a miserable Protestant! It truly was a lovely church, btw. I left a fine engraved portrait of Andrew Jackson in both of those offering plates so take a hint people!! 😉

OK, I feel better now….

PS: A note to congregations in Iowa who are entertaining the notion of building a new building. If you have any thought of hosting a service for RAGBRAI in the future please consider where you build. Do not follow the example of Holy Rosary in Glenwood and put your new building at the top of a hors catagorie climb!!!

OK, this time I really do feel better….

KenH, July 20, 2017 at 8:10 am

I should have done more research, you can find more details here!

bikejohnston, July 20, 2017 at 2:44 pm

BTW, there is not a Catholic mass in Orange City.

bmyoungberg, July 20, 2017 at 6:54 pm

Orange City is heavily Dutch and therefore mostly Reformed with a few other Protestant churches. I don’t think there is a Catholic Church there, so Alton is the best option. Contact them directly.

William Rosa, July 20, 2017 at 7:56 pm

I lived in Orange City for 2 long years, while it’s a clean/safe town, there is no Catholic church there Alton is closest

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015