The Register's Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa

Catrike, Greenspeed, HP Velotechnik, ICE and TerraTrike riders

Looking forward to RAGBRAI number three on my Catrike Road

2015, my first, was brutal, many significant hills the first day. I definitely was not fully prepared and after the first day I had extreme pain in both feet, middle three toes on both feet were numb for weeks after. Got that issue resolved by moving my SPD cleats to mid-sole. Many thanks to my cousin who invited me to join their group.

2017 was absolutely fantastic!!! Rode over 1,000 miles ahead of time, equipment and body were both in the best shape ever, zero issues with my feet. Several times during the week I was able to tag along with a group of bikes. I was right behind one group when several of the bikers in front went down hard, I took the ditch, near miss. Learned an important lesson to NOT draft too closely in the future. Picked up countless items off the road (one of the advantages of being so low to the ground). I was astonished at the wonderful job the Air Force team did every day helping so many riders. I sure hope they consider my suggestion and add at least one trike rider to there team this year…

2018 will be better than ever! My brother and his wife bought new Catrikes and are signed up to ride with me. We have rented a full sized RV. I’m sure we will learn more lessons this time, but I’m confident it will be an amazing experience once again!

Wanted to start this thread for all the trikers who are planning to ride again this summer. We organized a meet last year but with the rain it did not get the participation we had hoped. So, if others are interested, I hope we can arrange a meet again. I very much enjoy meeting all the other trikers along the route…

This topic was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by  Andy.

41 Replies

Andy, January 29, 2018 at 6:19 pm

I have tried to embed an image without success… Can someone share instructions please?

This reply was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by  Andy.

jpclark7, January 29, 2018 at 6:28 pm

Badger

jpclark7, January 29, 2018 at 6:29 pm

Hey Andy,

1. Upload pic to Photobucket
2. Copy code from “Direct” box
3. Open img box above
4. Paste code into the line that says “enter the URL of the image”
5. Hit OK
6. Enter description
7. Click OK and done!

Sandaltan, February 3, 2018 at 6:17 pm

If you want to use Photobucket to upload your photos you must now pay for the privileged. Seems to me it was three hundred bucks last time I looked.

RIDE RIGHT

Michrider !!!, February 4, 2018 at 9:03 am

Today, I tried to use Photobucket. I got a message that the yearly price is $99.99. I’m not paying to post pictures!

BTW, RAGBRAI don’t care!!!

prmaxey, February 4, 2018 at 1:46 pm

This will be my fourth year my third on my catike 559. Where are you from. I live in Fort Madison Iowa.

Jason Stoller, February 10, 2018 at 12:05 am

Sandaltan hope to see you out there if I make it this year. Right now I am on the fence. We are trying to pay for a second degree for my wife. If I go I am not sure I will do the whole thing. I need to test my body since the surgeries and my Trike since the improvements I made on it. I also need to find a way to get it to the other side of Iowa with my Fairing. I really do not want it on the Bus. I thought about going self contained this year.

Jason

This reply was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by  Jason Stoller.

Joyce Boone, February 10, 2018 at 8:49 am

Coming on my ICE for the first time. So glad there are other trikes.

Jason Stoller, February 10, 2018 at 12:02 pm

Joyce I think there will be plenty of think there will be plenty of Trikes this year!

http://www.bentrideronline.com/messageboard/showthread.php?p=1515795#poststop

Jason

Joyce Boone, February 11, 2018 at 10:26 am

TY for that information on Bentrideronline. Signed up and can’t wait to meet other trike people. It is ok if plain old recumbent people follow with us?

Evan Guyer, February 13, 2018 at 9:44 pm

I’m brand new here, first post, so be gentle! I left Cedar Rapids in the late 70’s moved to So Cal, but always wanted to ride Ragbrai, I ride a Terra Trike due to having RA, and want to give part of the ride a shot. Planning on the last 2 days. I’m concerned about keeping up with riders though, I might be slow, but I’m comfy! Any suggestions? Ps, I turn 60 this summer, so it’s a special year!

Jason Stoller, February 13, 2018 at 10:26 pm

[quote quote=1281971]I’m brand new here, first post, so be gentle! I left Cedar Rapids in the late 70’s moved to So Cal, but always wanted to ride Ragbrai, I ride a Terra Trike due to having RA, and want to give part of the ride a shot. Planning on the last 2 days. I’m concerned about keeping up with riders though, I might be slow, but I’m comfy! Any suggestions? Ps, I turn 60 this summer, so it’s a special year![/quote]

The beauty of Ragbrai is that you really do not have to keep up with anyone. Ragbrai is not a race. Its a bunch a people who all enjoy getting out and riding a bicycle or something with wheels of some kind. You also will not be the only one over 60 that is out there riding. I turn 61 in April myself. Just do some training rides prior to the event and you will be OK. Think of it as riding 10 or 15 miles and stopping and getting an ice cream. Then another 10 or 15miles and stopping and getting a piece of pie. Just have a good time and you will do OK. Take the pressure off yourself and just enjoy the People, the ride, and the scenery!

Jason

Jason Stoller, February 13, 2018 at 10:34 pm

FYI, a few years ago my wife and I created a Public Group called Bent Riders. Anyone can join it. We created it for those of us that ride Recumbent Bikes and Trikes. You can join it right from your log in panel and there is no cost to join and you can leave it anytime you want. It is a great way for those of us that ride Recumbent Bikes and Trikes to connect with a group and get to know one another.

I am also going to post on http://www.bentrideronline.com and let others from the site who are riding this year about it.

Jason

This reply was modified 5 months ago by  Jason Stoller.

This reply was modified 5 months ago by  Jason Stoller. Reason: correct spelling and grammer

Evan Guyer, February 14, 2018 at 12:11 am

Thanks for the reply and advice Jason! I’m really looking forward to it. I love driving the backroads when I’m visiting Iowa.

Darren Christensen, February 15, 2018 at 8:17 pm

I’ll be there. I would like to to do a week long but if I want to keep my job I better just do a half week.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015

RAGBRAI XLII – 2014

RAGBRAI XLI – 2013

RAGBRAI XL – 2012