The Register's Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa

Catrike, Greenspeed, HP Velotechnik, ICE and TerraTrike riders

Looking forward to RAGBRAI number three on my Catrike Road

2015, my first, was brutal, many significant hills the first day. I definitely was not fully prepared and after the first day I had extreme pain in both feet, middle three toes on both feet were numb for weeks after. Got that issue resolved by moving my SPD cleats to mid-sole. Many thanks to my cousin who invited me to join their group.

2017 was absolutely fantastic!!! Rode over 1,000 miles ahead of time, equipment and body were both in the best shape ever, zero issues with my feet. Several times during the week I was able to tag along with a group of bikes. I was right behind one group when several of the bikers in front went down hard, I took the ditch, near miss. Learned an important lesson to NOT draft too closely in the future. Picked up countless items off the road (one of the advantages of being so low to the ground). I was astonished at the wonderful job the Air Force team did every day helping so many riders. I sure hope they consider my suggestion and add at least one trike rider to there team this year…

2018 will be better than ever! My brother and his wife bought new Catrikes and are signed up to ride with me. We have rented a full sized RV. I’m sure we will learn more lessons this time, but I’m confident it will be an amazing experience once again!

Wanted to start this thread for all the trikers who are planning to ride again this summer. We organized a meet last year but with the rain it did not get the participation we had hoped. So, if others are interested, I hope we can arrange a meet again. I very much enjoy meeting all the other trikers along the route…

This topic was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by  Andy.

34 Replies

Andy, March 15, 2018 at 8:17 pm

Looking forward to seeing more trikes this summer. These are the best for multi-day, long distance riding. When you are done each day, nothing hurts (butt, neck, hands, etc.), except your legs from peddling, but that is less and less an issue with each new day. Going up hills is the best, if you get tired, pull over to the side, grab the brakes, lay back and relax, then continue. Remember, it’s not a race, so why expend a lot of energy riding up a hill… save it for cruising on the outstanding Iowa roads, many flat with wonderful smooth surfaces! And going downhill, the best…

Check out this video from last year: 2017 RAGBRAI Downhill on Day 7

This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  Andy.

Bruce Woodrow, March 17, 2018 at 10:46 pm

Andy: Last year you used Pinterest to post the Meetup photo: https://www.pinterest.ca/pin/303007881170989001/

Bruce Woodrow, March 17, 2018 at 11:17 pm

I am from Newcastle, Ontario 🇨🇦 (just east of Toronto). I ride a Greenspeed GTO (tadpole Trike). I rode my first RAGBRAI (the whole week) last year at the age of 65. I am riding again this year.

I also ride pretty slow (averaging just under 10 mph while moving). Last year my riding time ranged from 5-1/2 to 8 hours. To that add 1 to 2 hours for stops (lots to see, do and eat).

I did not ride with anybody. Members of my Team (all on 2-wheelers) would say hi as they passed, or occasionally slow down and chat for a few minutes, but I did not expect them to slow down for an extended period for my sake. I did match pace with other Trikers several times and chat. RAGBRAI is infinitely interesting and I was constantly entertained.

Lots of training posts suggested riding at least 1000 miles (1600 km) before RAGBRAI, and I just managed to do that. I was tired at the end of each day but not sore. So ride your RAGBRAI your way. (And follow this thread for more Trike news.)

Kit Wennersten, March 22, 2018 at 7:09 am

Just put in the registration, so will see how the lottery goes. Would/will be my first time. Riding an ICE (not sure which one). Sent emails out to some of the charters. Get my feet wet before maybe trying something like this self-contained. Also question is where to park a truck/travel trailer combo (start or finish), if I decide to make a summer vacation for a month or so in the west. Bucket list: Glacier National park and the Going to the Sun pass.

Bruce Woodrow, March 22, 2018 at 8:45 am

[quote quote=1283609]Also question is where to park a truck/travel trailer combo (start or finish), if I decide to make a summer vacation for a month or so in the west. Bucket list: Glacier National park and the Going to the Sun pass.[/quote]

Kit:
Welcome! Hope to see you in Iowa.

Check out the RAGBRAI FAQs. Number 11 appears to answer your question.
https://ragbrai.com/about/faqs/

11. Can I leave a vehicle at the ending or beginning town?

Yes. Charter service is available at both ends of the route. … There will be a nominal charge for parking for the week in the beginning or ending town. Long term parking information will be on the starting and ending town’s web sites as well as the RAGBRAI website around May 1st. It will also be in RAGBRAI’s Participant Guide, which is sent with your wristband packet in June. Do not contact the starting or ending town for parking information prior to May 1st.

Andy, April 12, 2018 at 3:30 pm

If others are interested we could have a ‘Trike Meet’ again this year.

Just a suggestion, about 10 miles out of our overnight stay in Ames is Nevada. There is a paved bike trail to a large field, behind some trees, just off the main road that brings us into town.

The trail access is on the right, just past the County Animal Shelter, before a bridge, right as we come into Nevada.

Bike Trail Access

A suggested time would be to arrive between 9:00 and 9:30 and plan to take a picture of the Trikes and Riders at 10:00 (again, just a suggestion).

Paul Matzen, April 12, 2018 at 3:37 pm

Sounds great, Andy!!

Bruce Woodrow, April 12, 2018 at 4:08 pm

Sounds good to me. A closer, earlier rendezvous than last year should reduce the vagaries of a co-ordinated meet-up.

We’re talking Day 4, Wednesday [Ames to Newton]. Aim for arrival at the field (reached by a bike trail, just before the pass through town of Nevada) between 9 and 9:30 am, with photo at 10.

That will leave us with 50 miles to go for the rest of the day.

Andy, April 12, 2018 at 4:11 pm

Here is a view of the bike trail access of the main road coming into Nevada:

Picture of Nevada Bike Trail Access

You can see the field is just a very short ride off the main road:

Field

Andy, April 12, 2018 at 4:26 pm

Here is the group who got together last year. We actually met several other rides as we all took shelter from the rain storm in Rockwell.

2017 Trike Meet

Andy, April 12, 2018 at 4:42 pm

Using the 2018 Route Maps I created a complete route on Ride With GPS:

Complete RAGBRAI Route (Unofficial)

I made several assumptions on the actual route but it should be pretty close.

This helped me quickly review the route and find the field in Nevada for our Trike Meet.

It might be helpful for others to learn more about the wonderful sights in Iowa on our ride this summer…

Bruce Woodrow, April 12, 2018 at 5:22 pm

Nice work with the photos, Andy.

I ordered a new Karoo cycling computer from Hammerhead, which should arrive next week. It is supposed to have an “advanced” route creation ability, so I plan to use RAGBRAI 2018 as a test exercise. It can also import maps from other applications so, if the creation doesn’t work, I’ll try importing yours.

Evan Guyer, April 12, 2018 at 7:54 pm

I won’t be joining until Friday, but I hope to catch up to other trike riders from time to time! The map you put together is GREAT Andy!

Terrill Campbell, April 16, 2018 at 8:53 am

I road a catrike last year I purchased a Azub in December looking forward to the ride on my new ride

Jason Stoller, April 16, 2018 at 2:48 pm

Congrats on your new Azub Terrill. Did you get the Full suspension model? I hope you enjoy it.

Jason

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015

RAGBRAI XLII – 2014

RAGBRAI XLI – 2013

RAGBRAI XL – 2012