The Register's Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa

Catrike, Greenspeed, HP Velotechnik, ICE and TerraTrike riders

Looking forward to RAGBRAI number three on my Catrike Road

2015, my first, was brutal, many significant hills the first day. I definitely was not fully prepared and after the first day I had extreme pain in both feet, middle three toes on both feet were numb for weeks after. Got that issue resolved by moving my SPD cleats to mid-sole. Many thanks to my cousin who invited me to join their group.

2017 was absolutely fantastic!!! Rode over 1,000 miles ahead of time, equipment and body were both in the best shape ever, zero issues with my feet. Several times during the week I was able to tag along with a group of bikes. I was right behind one group when several of the bikers in front went down hard, I took the ditch, near miss. Learned an important lesson to NOT draft too closely in the future. Picked up countless items off the road (one of the advantages of being so low to the ground). I was astonished at the wonderful job the Air Force team did every day helping so many riders. I sure hope they consider my suggestion and add at least one trike rider to there team this year…

2018 will be better than ever! My brother and his wife bought new Catrikes and are signed up to ride with me. We have rented a full sized RV. I’m sure we will learn more lessons this time, but I’m confident it will be an amazing experience once again!

Wanted to start this thread for all the trikers who are planning to ride again this summer. We organized a meet last year but with the rain it did not get the participation we had hoped. So, if others are interested, I hope we can arrange a meet again. I very much enjoy meeting all the other trikers along the route…

This topic was modified 10 months, 2 weeks ago by  Andy.

46 Replies

Terrill Campbell, April 16, 2018 at 4:21 pm

It has the rear suspension but the indirect steering is so much smoother and less choppy on the hands so I didn’t feel I needed the front suspension it’s a amazing bike I have had a sun, terra trike rambler, catrike 559 and a HP Velotechnik scorpion and this one is just unbelievable and fits me well being 6.4

Joyce Boone, April 19, 2018 at 4:45 am

Seen that some people are getting their jerseys and other people are looking to buy wristbands. When do I find out if I was picked in the lottery?

Kit Wennersten, April 19, 2018 at 6:33 am

Joyce, if I understand correctly the lottery drawing is May 1st. Jerseys can be purchased through RAGBRAI store. There is more info in the FAQ section of RAGBRAI homepage about purchasing a wristband from someone who was selected for the ride but are not going.

Jason Stoller, April 19, 2018 at 6:36 pm

[quote quote=1284736]It has the rear suspension but the indirect steering is so much smoother and less choppy on the hands so I didn’t feel I needed the front suspension it’s a amazing bike I have had a sun, terra trike rambler, catrike 559 and a HP Velotechnik scorpion and this one is just unbelievable and fits me well being 6.4[/quote]

Glad you like it. I personally will not give up my front suspension on my Scorpion Fs26 but I am not as tall as you. Azub builds a great Trike. Every Recumbent Cycle Con I photograph, it’s always interesting to see what Azub and the others bring.

Jason

Joshua Kraling, April 30, 2018 at 2:34 pm

Couldn’t ride last year due to my back. Planning on riding my TT Rover this year. I’m getting quite excited for it, especially since the weather has turned. It’s time to get out there and ride!
(I wonder how bad the hills will be this year…)

Joyce Boone, June 15, 2018 at 11:51 am

Hi does anyone take their bike pannier bags with them on the Ragbrai. Just want to hold extra water and rain coat if need for the day. Is this to much for the day ride?

Ben.A, June 16, 2018 at 12:04 pm

Hi Joyce,

I suggest to have minimum carry on with you during ride. But some riders have all of stuff with them too. You want to enjoy ride whatever you are comfortable for you. If you take anything, you should have the light and not bulky with you.

Enjoy the ride.

Ben

Jason Stoller, June 16, 2018 at 10:49 pm

I will be taking Panniers because I keep suntan lotion, bug spray, small flashlight, rubber tape, air pump, tools, folding tire, tubes, sometimes a few snacks, A roll of TP, and few other things like Tylenol, Aspirin. This year because I am not going with a Charter I will traveling different. I will be pulling my Burley Trailer with a Speaker mounted on top. Usually for water I have a 100 oz bladder with me either in a Camelbak hung on the back of my seat but now I have a bag that holds the 100oz bladder that mounts on the Rack I got to fit in the middle over my rear wheel on my Scorpion FS 26. Oh its also good to have a very light Rain Coat or at least a Plastic Garbage Bag you can wear if it starts raining.

This reply was modified 5 months, 3 weeks ago by  Jason Stoller.

Bruce Woodrow, June 16, 2018 at 11:11 pm

I don’t have panniers. I ride with a bag on my rear rack and a smaller bag on a side seat mount.

The larger bag has things I only need to get to when I am stopped and off the Trike: tools, spare tubes, rain jacket, extra shirt, etc.

The smaller bag has things I want in easy reach while riding or at least without getting off: phone and battery, snacks, hex wrenches (to adjust mirrors), rain cover for bag, side flaps for my visor hat, etc.

Andy, June 30, 2018 at 8:12 pm

I have a small bag (actually a handle bar bag mounted on the side of my Catrike) to keep just a few important things.

Bruce Woodrow, July 16, 2018 at 7:48 pm

Trike Meetup
Who’s going to be there?

Are we still on as follows:

Day 4, Wednesday [Ames to Newton]. Aim for arrival at the field (reached by a bike trail, just before the pass through town of Nevada) between 9 and 9:30 am, with photo at 10.

That will leave us with 50 miles to go for the rest of the day.

Here is the link to Andy’s earlier post about the location:
https://ragbrai.com/forums/topic/catrike-greenspeed-hp-velotechnik-ice-and-terratrike-riders-2/page/2/#post-1284634

Andy, July 17, 2018 at 4:57 pm

I will be there, who else?

Looking forward to seeing all the Trike riders each day…

Bruce Woodrow, July 17, 2018 at 5:15 pm

Barring something unforeseen (like a mechanical issue) I will be there.

Who else?

Evan Guyer, July 17, 2018 at 7:14 pm

I’ll just be there Friday and Saturday, flying an Angels flag! I’ll be the slow trike! Hope to see others!

Jason Stoller, July 17, 2018 at 11:21 pm

I will do my best to show up if I can. I will be flying my American Flag, US Navy Flag, Be Seen Flag, and Pirate Flag. That’s only if they all stay put. Look for my Blue Canopy and my Burley Trailer. I will be the Good Looking One in the Picture!

Viewing 15 replies - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015

RAGBRAI XLII – 2014

RAGBRAI XLI – 2013