The Great Iowa Fall Ride registration is open!

Century Day

Well, this could be interesting. We have a century day scheduled for Wednesday between Emmetsburg and Mason City. I have never seen stats for number of riders who chose the add the century loop in past years, but I know the pack thins out considerably on those ‘extra’ miles. How will this pan out I wonder? Lots of sagging the last 30 miles of that day I imagine, and how will that affect the pass thru towns towards the end of that day?

73 Replies

FlagCity, March 1, 2022 at 8:46 am

I am in shape

ROUND

Hopefully less in that shape by the time Ragbrai rolls around.

Niles, March 1, 2022 at 11:38 am

For riders who don’t need to do the whole century, I think there will be a “reverse option” of Karras Loop, just like the short cut a couple years ago for people who didn’t want to go through the Geode State Park portion of the route.

Andrea Parrott, March 2, 2022 at 11:00 am

Patches? We don’t need no stinking patches! Just kidding everyone who completes the 100 miles will get a Karras “Loop” patch. Our designer is working on it right now.

For everyone who is excited and starting to train for the 100 miles – you rock and your positive mental attitude will only help you in the miles ahead!!

For everyone nervous about the 100 miles – I encourage you to try! That being said there will be options if you don’t/can’t/won’t/mechanical/get too hangry and riding the whole way isn’t in the cards. It’s super early in the planning process which is why we haven’t released many details. We haven’t forgotten about you!

Happy trails to all – AP

“Bicycle Bill”, March 2, 2022 at 3:02 pm

RAGBRAI VI (1978) — my first RAGBRAI.  Wednesday, August 2 — Iowa Falls to Vinton. Roughly 100 miles; no loops, no short cuts.
RAGBRAI VI (1979).  Thursday, August 2 — Tama to Fairfield.  Again, roughly 100 miles; no loops, no short cuts.
And remember, this was back in the day when a “light” bike still weighed between 30 and 35 pounds, unless you were willing to throw a fantastic amount of money into novel, as-yet unproven materials such as aluminum from Fabo or Cannondale, or titanium from Teledyne (carbon fiber and other composites were still a pipe dream)  Your typical upper-end bikes were more likely to be steel-framed Motobecanes, Raleighs, Peugeots, Gitanes, Fujis, and Schwinns — or maybe a real rarity like a Trek, from that upstart American company working out of a barn in Wisconsin that had just begun producing bikes and framesets — equipped with a smattering of aluminum-alloy components.

So it ain’t the equipment; people were doing centuries YEARS before today’s super-high-tech bikes, made from modern materials like unobtainium with eludium alloy components that are so light they have to be tied down so they won’t float away, ever reached the drawing boards.  It all comes down to attitude, drive, determination, and preparation.

-“BB”-

Ben There, March 2, 2022 at 10:47 pm

Ditto BB. Nice post that should help many. And for those who still don’t believe it’s worth a try, looks like Andrea will have a plan for you too, so it will all work out.

direwolf, March 3, 2022 at 11:32 pm

Through the existential miasma of hopes and doubts expressed here, many of which are heartfelt, some of which are downright solipsist, Andrea Parrot’s grace and wisdom beam incandescent. What a remarkable human being!

iatrikerider, March 7, 2022 at 6:35 pm

Having ridden mandatory 100 mile Ragbrai days in the early 1980’s I can say that this sucks. Hated each one of them. That said, just get up early, stay hydrated and stop frequently, especially in the heat of the afternoon. Cheers!

Surlyman!, March 8, 2022 at 9:48 am

Looking forward to the adventure… Riding a steel Surly Troll with a couple of Rene Herse slicks on it and a NICE set of butterfly bars for comfort. Just keep peddling, peddling, peddling! Remember, nothing is mandatory when it comes to RAGBRAI!!!!

This reply was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by Surlyman!.

ogiedee, March 9, 2022 at 6:40 am

You have 4 months to train. Get a lot of “butt” time on your bike. As people have said before “Get up early” “Take your Time” “Stop frequently and get off the bike” “Stay Hydrated” “Think of it as Ten 10 mile rides” You’ll be fine. Let’s hope there isn’t a head wind.

ogiedee, March 14, 2022 at 3:13 pm

According to the Des Moines Register January 30, 2022: Day 4 will be 100 miles and feet of climb is 1367 – Which is the second lowest for the week.

andytetmeyer, March 16, 2022 at 2:46 pm

Just think of it as a hundred 1 mile rides.
or 1000 times down the block.

Kamw, March 22, 2022 at 11:36 am

Hi I am a first timer can anyone tell me is there a map of the route to download on to a device.

Thanks Keith

David, March 22, 2022 at 2:00 pm

No route maps yet. They will first announce the pass-through towns but the exact roads are even later.

mrwonderful, March 27, 2022 at 7:41 pm

I think they will be expecting a record number of Sag riders that day and hopefully they will be prepared.

Kevinturk, March 28, 2022 at 5:17 pm

I always decided to ride the century but understand most riders choose not to, for any number of reasons.
What if it’s rainy, or windy, or 102°?
It seems very short sighted to alienate the majority of your riders.
Perhaps I’m missing something and there’s an option to ride less.
Hope so.

This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by Kevinturk. Reason: Adding

Viewing 15 replies - 46 through 60 (of 73 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI