The Great Iowa Fall Ride registration is open!

Century Day

Well, this could be interesting. We have a century day scheduled for Wednesday between Emmetsburg and Mason City. I have never seen stats for number of riders who chose the add the century loop in past years, but I know the pack thins out considerably on those ‘extra’ miles. How will this pan out I wonder? Lots of sagging the last 30 miles of that day I imagine, and how will that affect the pass thru towns towards the end of that day?

73 Replies

HughAinATX, March 29, 2022 at 8:07 am

@chadfrana I’ll be on a lugged steel Bilenky. Steel is real!
I have a flipflop hub so I could go single speed or fixie depending on the mood 🤪

Suds, March 29, 2022 at 8:46 am

Kamw, March 22, 2022 at 11:36 am
Hi I am a first timer can anyone tell me is there a map of the route to download on to a device.
Thanks Keith

Per the site:
The RAGBRAI route is still subject to revision pending an inspection ride by RAGBRAI officials and guests in June. Detailed route maps will be released in June or July.

cannontandem, March 29, 2022 at 11:26 am

Not until RAGBRAI 7 did they tell you how long each day was. You just rode until you got there. On RAGBRAI 19 they started telling you how far it was from to each town for that day. Even with that they are NOT very accurate, particularly with the days total. Some of it is where you are staying in each town. In 2018 the last 2 days where quite a ways off because a lot of the charters were in the far southeast corner of town in Burlington. and their mileage was to the middle west part of town. That tacked on 7 extra miles each way since we went out the same way we came in.

Amanda, March 29, 2022 at 11:50 am

In 2001, we had 3 95+ days in a row. That was hard. So 1 day of 105 miles will be fine for me. The next day is only 40 something!

flyinbrian, April 10, 2022 at 11:14 pm

All I wanted to know is if I would still get another patch. Good times.

95trekston, April 14, 2022 at 2:04 pm

either this thread or it was another one where alot of riders summed up wednesday really well like experienced well prepared cyclists will struggle on this day. The tuesday ride is no walk in the park and then to turn around the next day and pedal to mason city will be to say the least grueling for many and just maybe some can pace themselves for 80-90 miles on the bike but the last 10, 15 miles will be extremely challenging and if the wind is coming out of the east day 4 then , well lets just hope its not, by the way this is a great topic I think

Kevinturk, April 14, 2022 at 2:18 pm

The majority of the riders choose not to ride the century, for any number of reasons.
I choose to ride the loop every year but fully understand that it’s not for everyone.
I’m hoping it’s not 102° that day, or windy, or rainy.
Why Ragbrai would alienate the majority of its riders is hard to understand.
I know a few people who are not riding because of their concern for that day.
It seems Mr. Karras could have been honored in a better way.
Hope it works out.

This reply was modified 4 months ago by Kevinturk.

Joseph Schlau, April 14, 2022 at 6:07 pm

Why Ragbrai would alienate the majority of its riders is hard to understand.

Good question Kevin,
This topic on Century Day and Days combined has generated 155 comments thus far. RAGBRAI IS taking note.

cannontandem, April 15, 2022 at 12:41 pm

Well the route looks to change on the century day. I got a email from Hancock county showing they are replacing a bridge between Wesley and Britt.
In the early days we did walk down to a creek and back up the other side. Those were unknown problems until the last minute.
In 1994 the found out early and rerouted us with more miles and more hills. My wife and I took the original route and did the walk down and up after checking it out when we in the area earlier in the year. Last time RAGBRAI did the walk was in 2015 on Tuesday . That was another unknown problem until we got to the bride.
Hope this doesn’t cause us too much problem.

JimCoonRapidsMN, April 15, 2022 at 4:26 pm

The RAGBRAI day 4 route between Wesley and Britt looks like its on 225th Street, which is old hwy 18. It is going to be closed for approximately 4 months for bridge replacement just about a mile east of R20. Here’s the link for info:
https://www.iceasb.org/roads/county/hancock/59074
Perhaps they will put us on “new” 18 to get around it.

direwolf, April 18, 2022 at 12:13 am

It looks like one could circumvent the bridge work to the south by heading east on 220th St., which is gravel. If form holds, they’ll pile on extra new gravel to handle the increased traffic – local motor traffic, not RAGBRAI. Then too, there’s a rail bridge literally a stone’s throw north of Old Rte 18. Feeling lucky today?

David, April 19, 2022 at 8:21 am

The route map labels the road as US18. The line appears to curve like it was generated using old 18 and they updated the label without redoing the graphic. The roads are quite close and the resolution of the map is not high so I wouldn’t read anything into how straight the line is.

Pretty sure we are on 18 to avoid the bridge. I hope they control the speed of traffic. The shoulder on that road is horrible and dangerous.

Map

This reply was modified 4 months ago by David.

LawnchairMan, April 19, 2022 at 9:32 am

This section of the Ragbrai Map has been labeled as 18 but curved like 225 since it came out. I have assumed the label was in error since 225 would be more cyclist-friendly. I just received a reply from Hancock County engineers saying that they notified Ragbrai officials of the bridge repair project back in November. Perhaps highway 18 was always the intended route and the error was in the artwork that imitates 225 so well.

Viewing 13 replies - 61 through 73 (of 73 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI