RAGBRAI LI Route Announced on Jan. 27!

Century Day hydration: Keeping my cool

I have been perusing the route maps and noticed something about Century Day. The distance between Rippey and Luther is 22 miles. Assuming the Karras loop is between these towns, doing the loop would make it 39 miles. There is a community of Berkley about five miles from Rippey, but who knows if they will have water. So, I plan to fill my Camelbak at Sparky’s in Rippey just in case. I usually am fine with 50 or 60 ounces of chilled water over 40 miles.

I have a suggestion for some of our riders who have struggled to make afternoon cutoff times. Instead of spending time finding air conditioning and cooling off for a while, put ice in your water bottles. Buy ice at a convenience store and share it with your group. Doing this can cool your insides as you ride, and save time. This way you also don’t get the shock of coming back into the heat.
For the 2012 Century I did the Karras loop and then found Beekman’s. The root beer float revived me on one of the hottest days. Cooling the insides works for me. See if it works for you.

7 Replies

trevino27, June 9, 2023 at 5:15 pm

Appreciate the tip!

Rob Fuller, June 9, 2023 at 5:36 pm

Thanks for the advice. Memory: 2021 C. loop just after picking-up the patch (from Mr Karras, if I recall correctly) the locals had chicken soup on the menu. After letting the soup cool the salt and carbs with crackers and water made for a quick recovery – but of course the legs were mush from there to town. Food and hydration planning is a must do!

David Elkow, June 11, 2023 at 7:17 am

Thanks for the tips! If I get behind on my hydration, I get in trouble quick.

You say that have been studying the route maps. Where do you find route maps?

garywilk, June 12, 2023 at 11:50 am

About 95% sure there will be water where you pick up your patch on the loop but cannot promise it. There will also likely be several other beverages to purchase in the path but again you never know. As mentioned above, it is always a great idea to have enough water for 40 miles. I noticed the century loop on ride with GPS that did not hit any towns and will be topping off for sure. Thanks for adding it to the forum for those that have not noticed yet.

Rob Fuller, June 12, 2023 at 1:09 pm

Good reminder for the loop, thanks.

LawnchairMan, June 12, 2023 at 2:05 pm

Thanks for the appreciation.

Matt, June 14, 2023 at 7:15 am

My money is on them setting up at the Woodward State Hospital campus that’s on the loop road. But like you said I’m packing water for a long stretch just in case.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI