Registration is open for RAGBRAI L!

Century Days

I see the century day is 105 miles this year. The article said the last year they had a century day was 1984 but it was 1985 which also went to Mason City. The first year they called it a century day was 1978 but there were 100 mile days before and after 1978-1985.

88 Replies

Joseph Schlau, March 30, 2022 at 10:47 am

I’m 5’8″ and have a goal weight of 225 by RAGBRAI.
The point is I fall into the “larger rider” by most definitions.
As my gravel bike is a single speed, that will be my steed of choice for RAGBRAI.

So Hugh, how old are you?

HughAinATX, March 30, 2022 at 1:57 pm

Joseph, I will be 55 when I get to Sergeant Bluff.

HughAinATX, March 30, 2022 at 3:12 pm

To add a little more color to my post: the buddy I will be riding with is 66. He’s a first timer also.

We were going to ride last year. However, his jaw that had been decimated from cancer broke several weeks before the ride.

They fixed it by removing a bone from his lower leg and fashioning it into a jaw bone.

He’ll be riding this year as well. So this is a celebration ride of being able to get on a bike and ride.

He shares my enthusiasm for the century day and hills. Well, not as much on the hills because he just had hip replacement surgery the end of 2021 to cap off a spectacular year for his health.

If a 66 year old, after 2 major surgeries, can be enthusiastic about this ride, with all of its miles, hills, and wind, then every able bodied person should likewise be enthused.

If you have not had any major health setbacks, celebrate that. If you have had major setbacks, be like my buddy and be thankful you’re still above ground and able to get after it!

garywilk, March 30, 2022 at 6:34 pm

Also 55 and will enjoy every hill and mile while I still can with friends and family. I am also very lucky that my father in his upper 70’s will also be along but due to health issues, no longer can do the entire route. But he will be moving the motor home from each start town to the next and riding back a town or two to enjoy what he can. He will only get in about 20 or 30 miles but still really enjoys all of it. Just get out and do what you can while you can.

Sucole, March 30, 2022 at 6:44 pm

Human behavior is fascinating! Reading all these discussions here and on Facebook you would think people have no choices. As for me, I’m not worried. Maybe I should be. I had breast cancer and found out a year plus ago I have heart damage from breast cancer radiation. I had hip surgery a couple years ago and it’s still not 100%. I just started biking last July to combat the heart damage. My training in February came to a halt with a bad car accident from a hit and run driver (not sure how they even drove off because it totaled our car). Now I only shared all that because it never crossed my mind to complain about a 105 mile day. It won’t be easy for me and I’m currently not fast. I will train not just for that but the whole week. If for some reason I can’t make it then life goes on. I’ll jump on a SAG. But in reality you will need to drag me off that course even if I’m missing a limb. Haha. This 54 year old is more worried about how many times I have to traipse across camp in the night to go to the bathroom. Complaining about any of the ride or my ailments is just a waste of time. Life is short so take an adventure. And remember unexpected adventures make better stories!

BaggerMan, March 30, 2022 at 8:35 pm

In my Touring opinion: 2 of the last 3 reply’s completes the thread’s Mic Drop argument.
Ride and enjoy each revolution 😀

David Rutherford, March 30, 2022 at 9:22 pm

Just checking on that”Iowa Nice”. Not much here, just shut up and do the ride.

Joseph Schlau, March 31, 2022 at 9:44 am

David, does your team utilize a support vehicle and about how many members on the team?

T. Gap Woo, March 31, 2022 at 10:35 am

Sucole,

You are truly the embodiment of the Ragbrai spirit and are an inspiration worth emulating! Don’t let anything or anyone crush that marvelous attitude. It’s your Ragbrai, so ride it the way you want.

As Daddy Woo used to say, “Any day on the right side of the grass is a GOOD day!”

I look forward to seeing you along the I-O-Way.

David Rutherford, March 31, 2022 at 12:05 pm

We have multiple support vehicles- we started with 15 riders. Not sure at this point. I know it’s not a big deal to many on this blog – but my newbies saw the original release that it was one of the shortest rides in a while and got excited. The 100+ day has changed a few minds. Their feeling was they were trying to ride across Iowa but don’t won’t to SAG the big day. I am not going to call them out. I was happy to see a good group of older newbie riders ready to tackle 430+ miles in 7 days. As many have said, I guess this is not the ride for them.

Joseph Schlau, March 31, 2022 at 12:22 pm

If you want to send a private message I will share the solution to the 105 problem my team reached.

“Bicycle Bill”, March 31, 2022 at 8:50 pm

Do it as a relay — each rider taking, say, a ten-mile leg that day……   (grin)

And to keep with the cycling concept, use an old Zefal frame pump as the baton; each rider has to pass it on to the next team member.

-“BB”-

BaggerMan, March 31, 2022 at 11:16 pm

Coincidentally, The Santa Fe Trail started in Council Bluffs, Iowa.
I would imagine concerns as this probably festered at the Expo.
Of course, Sag support was rare in that time period.
Enjoy each Revolution and have fun😀

direwolf, March 31, 2022 at 11:41 pm

“Inspiration! Move me brightly,
Light the song with scents and colors,
Hold away despair!
More than this I will not ask.
Faced with mysteries dark and vast,
Statements just seem vain at last.
Some rise,
Some fall,
Some climb …”
– Robert Hunter
If you find yourself riding alongside a redheaded bagger on a recumbent trike, singing those words at the top of his lungs, you will be wayyyyyyyyy behind the pack.

So, say Hello.

Kent Clow, April 1, 2022 at 9:39 am

My only concern about the century day is making sure that the later/slower riders still have support at the end. A one hour extension is probably not enough for everyone. We road a few years back and the longest day was 94 miles, as determined by my Garmin. When we reached the overnight town, there was no traffic control support left. We dumped into the main highway and had to deal with traffic trying to get around the bikers.

Viewing 15 replies - 46 through 60 (of 88 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI