RAGBRAI XLIX registration is now open!

Charge Cell Phone?

My BF and I were supposed to have a support vehicle but that might fall through. My question is is there a place to charge my cell phone during the ride, overnight towns, or really whenever? Mostly needing to be able to be reached for emergencies if something happens with my kids. Advice?

4 Replies

jwsknk, April 4, 2012 at 12:34 pm

leave it off as much as possible, take the charger with you to breakfast, lunch, second lunch, dinner and second dinner. The churches, firestations, bars, etc may have an open spot to plug into for awhile.

giantron, April 4, 2012 at 1:22 pm

It’s a bit of a challenge to find a charging station, but you can usually find one.
A couple of suggestions; carry a multi-outlet plug so you can share the wall outlet. This is especially useful if someone is already using the only one around.
For real backup you could get a spare battery for your phone and have it already charged.
Or buy a portable battery such as those made by Naztech, New Trent or Eveready. They have different sizes and can charge your phone from 1-5 times depending on size.

Keep in mind that cell service in end towns is very difficult because the circuits are overloaded. So make sure the people that need to reach you can text you a message since that is much more reliable.

Michael Knapp, April 4, 2012 at 10:42 pm

See if there’s a solar charger that works with your phone. It can be strapped to your trunk rack to make use of the sun while you are riding. Also, last year or two there’s been a portable station set up for lap tops/email check ins. Carry charger cable to plug your phone into computer while using computer.

The multiplug outlet was a good suggestion for sharing scarce outlets.

You could also set up check in times, and leave your phone off rest of time. But keep in mind that cell service will be overloaded or scarce in some rural parts of the state. If you are with a group of riders and plan to use your phone to keep in touch on the ride, you might be better off in buying sets of 20 mile walkie talkies to use for communicating back and forth on the road.

rareform1, April 5, 2012 at 6:11 am

I’ve done a little research and this looks like a resonably inexpensive optioin, small-sized charger. The unit itself retains about 2 full charges for your phone.

http://www.rei.com/product/826630/solio-bolt-solar-chargerSolio Solar Cell Phone Charger

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XL – 2012’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI