Charging a CPAP

I sleep with a CPAP breathing device due to sleep apnea. I have a battery that will last a night or two but i am wondering about access to electical power so that I can charge the battery during the ride.
What are the options for charging electrical devices?

5 Replies

carolyn weber, January 28, 2018 at 10:00 pm

If you go with a group like PBV, they have charging stations.

Michrider !!!, January 29, 2018 at 7:07 am

PBV has several charging trailer that can charge anything. PBV is my favorite charter!!!

BTW, RAGBRAI don’t care!!!

KenH, January 29, 2018 at 7:59 am

If you are going with any club or charter they will almost certainly have at least a small Honda generator to charge cell phones and it will take care of you too. The one year I went with a club there were several members who inflated their air mattresses every night with the generator! To be sure, check with your charter in advance but I would be astounded if any said no.

If you are going to use the Register trucks to transport your luggage then you will have to be more creative. I would ask at places like libraries and YMCAs. I would ask anyone who is running a generator. The latter may refuse the legions of cell phone charging scavengers but are much less likely to deny someone with a medical need. If I were near the motorhome campground and its cacophony of generators I would ask one of them. I admit, most years I am one of those guys, and I would not say boo if I came home one night and found that someone had plugged their CPAP into my external AC outlet. I really would not be upset to see cell phones plugged in either but cell phone users run one risk that CPAP users do not. If they leave their phones overnight we sometimes break camp quite early and then good luck finding your phone and no guarantee that a dozen other mothorhomes have not run over it laying there in the grass on their way out! You of course need your CPAP at night and won’t leave it plugged in.

It’s RAGBRAI. Most people will cheerfully help strangers and medical needs always go to the front of the line.

This question comes up every year and hopefully some other actual CPAP users will chime in with their experiences.

Barin Beard, January 29, 2018 at 9:28 am

I used BBC last year and they had charging stations for phone and such. No complaints about Brancel.

scottonbike, January 29, 2018 at 4:41 pm

I made a mistake in 2015 and thought I could handle sleeping without the cpap, that was a really really bad idea on my part. I have done ragbrai without it before 2015 but never again. I got that battery for my 24 volt unit and I am very happy with it. My club, and I am certain almost all clubs will have a way to charge your battery. Just be cool about it do not leave it on the charger for longer periods of time then what you need. I also used any electrical outlet I could find, that could have been near a softball/baseball field or in a bathroom. These are a lot faster then using a slower charging clubs charging units. I would not recommend using a solar charger unless you are really familiar with how it works.

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI