Charter recommendations

I am a first-time Ragbrai rider. Spent a lot of time reading what I can about the ride.

I’m convinced that a Charter is the way to go for me. I want one that will supply a tent & set it up & take it down. I know people will say that is not the “real” Ragbrai experience, but oh well.

I am looking for recommendations / reviews. I know waiting in line is part of the deal but it seems to me that the Charters that have their own Potties & Showers would solve at least some of that.

Any thoughts?

21 Replies

Jeff Hansen, February 22, 2019 at 3:05 pm

bricycle Rothberg I used them last year and will use them again, wife will be using them again for the 3rd year, and a close friend will be using them again for like the 8th year

Isabella Arjona, March 6, 2019 at 8:52 am

Jeff Hansen, could you provide more information on Bricycle Rotheberg?

TIA
Isabel

Jeff Hansen, March 6, 2019 at 4:07 pm

Sorry meant to say bike to you they are of Grinnell iowa

Ed Chimahusky, March 6, 2019 at 6:08 pm

This year will be my 2nd RAGBRAI. Last year I used PBV and even though I liked the services felt they were too big. They also camped farther away from the city center due to their size. This year I opted to go with the OOS Charter group just for a smaller group and different experience. I guess it all depends on what you want.

Sam Paisley, March 8, 2019 at 12:16 pm

Looking for recumbent trike friendly charter service for transport from Koukuk to Council Bluffs to be ready for the start.

ESchiers, March 8, 2019 at 6:26 pm

Beware of some charters. I’m not going to embarrass the one I used during my first Ragbrai, but it was a bad start. The charter didn’t have enough bus seats for the number of people signed on for the trip across the state to the start town, so we had to wait 3 hours for another bus to pick us all up as a group. Along the way, a different bus broke down, so another couple hours of waiting. In the end it took 8 hours to get across Iowa. Throughout the week, no one on staff knew what was going on, you would think they could direct you to the main areas like showers, food, downtown – nope. If you didn’t stop to get an overnight town map, you were on your own- guessing. The charter had many niche clients (groups of long time friends and family) and as a solo individual, I personally found it to be a lonely week. On one of the hottest days on record there was no water available in the camp. I spent more money using this charter than I have at my now favorite charter, PBV.

PBV knows how to make the week awesome with plenty of things to stay entertained in camp. They have the organization down and everything runs smooth. They go out of their way to help with whatever issues you may have. For example, I lost my wallet and they did all they could to help me find it. The bonus of individual showers with HOT water and flush toilets are super special after days of corn squats and Kybos, it is a vacation after all. The one downside is they can be far away from the downtown activities but sometimes that may not be a bad thing. Hairball isn’t everyone’s cup of tea if you’re trying to get some early shuteye.

PS I was able to make arrangements for new credit cards and my wallet was turned into PBV the second to last day of the ride. All the money and cards were still inside. That’s what makes the week of corn so unbelievable, the people.

Viewing 6 replies - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI