RAGBRAI XLIX registration is now open!

Charter tent rental or personnal tent? That is the question this year.

I’ve done RAGBRAI the past two years and used PBV both times. I’ll use them again this year but my only question is: Is the tent rental worth the money? I’m thinking of buying a tent this year and letting PBV carry it to the overnight town for me. I’m thinking I want mind setting it up since the days are so long in the summer. The tent I buy will cost 25% of the PBV tent rental and setup.
Does the tent count as one of the two bags you’re allowed or do you still get to have two bags and the tent? Any input appreciated.

53 Replies

Jason Stoller, April 22, 2014 at 11:19 pm

I am going with PBV because this is my first Ragbrai, but I am bring my own tent.

Jason

ltyoungster, April 23, 2014 at 1:09 pm

Last year I struck a good balance with PBV. I had a friend who opted for tent service, so I gave him $50 and he registered me as the second occupant of his tent. Every night when I got into town my bags were in his tent, sheltered from the weather. I would use the tent to change and organize for the next day, grab my camping bag and go out and find a place to hang my hammock. The next morning I would drop my camping bag off at his tent and hit the road.

He was happy to have the extra cash and the morning wake up call in exchange for having to sleep with my bag of clothes.

Tom Garcia, April 23, 2014 at 3:46 pm

Did you have a hard time finding a place to hang the hammock? I normally use one when hiking but figured with the crowds it’d be tough to find a place to hang so I’ve opted for PBV’s tent service. Nothing beats a hammock though.

Michrider !!!, April 23, 2014 at 5:03 pm

Tom Garcia: Did you have a hard time finding a place to hang the hammock? I normally use one when hiking but figured with the crowds it’d be tough to find a place to hang so I’ve opted for PBV’s tent service. Nothing beats a hammock though

I can’t speak for the comforts of a hammock but I can tell you that PBV’s tent service is top notch!!!! I’ll be there under the big ass circus tent!!!!

ltyoungster, April 24, 2014 at 9:56 am

I really look for ball diamonds. The back stops always have tall fence posts and NO ONE pitches a tent on the bare dirt.

In two years of hammock camping on RAGBRAI I have slept on the ground 2 times. Once when I was kicked out of a hang by a security guard near a factory and another time when the camping was in the middle of a corn field (we were in RV parking that year). Both times I just tied my hammock to a pair of truck bumpers and used it as a bivy. Last year with PBV I never had an issue finding a spot.

The best part of hammock camping on RAGBRAI is I strap my hammock to my bike and set up in a shady spot during the day to take a break.

GetAClue Blue, April 28, 2014 at 2:46 pm

I look forward to hearing your opinion after this years ride HillsAngels. Should I look for the horned helmet so I can tell you thanks face to face? Im sure I could do either way and I’m also a club member at REI. I just wanted to throw the question out there and, as usual on this forum, everyone has responded with some really good input. Woohoo, gettn close!

HillsAngels1, April 28, 2014 at 4:19 pm

getaclueblue Look up my horned helmit or my evening horned hat we can drink a cold one and disscuss the whole PBV thing.

GetAClue Blue, June 9, 2014 at 5:06 pm

I’ve learned allot from all the good responses. Didn’t know MitchRider got the special treatment but he propably deserves it. I like the idea about the blinkie thing. Good input. Thx to all. can’t wait. It’s getting close. my riding buddy bailed out on me this year so I’m going it alone. Hope to meet some of you under the PBV tent or on the road. Woohoo, lets do this.

Viewing 8 replies - 46 through 53 (of 53 total)

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XLII – 2014’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI