“Clean” RAGBRAI 2021?

Maybe not to early to get ideas on how to make RAGBRAI 2021 more sanitary, more CV19 compliant. Like RAGBRAI’s dirtiest challenge, keeping Kybos sanitary, do riders carry masks to slap on in crowded beer gardens, etc.? Maybe we can help make 2021 happen with the right ideas?

23 Replies

Jboz, October 14, 2020 at 5:48 pm

And if there is one by then everyone should have to show they have gone through the vaccination process.

Wow. Pretty serious civil liberties implications there. Brave New World meets 1984.

GP_in_SD, October 14, 2020 at 8:00 pm

Agree 100% Luv2Ski. If there is a reliable vaccine we all should be required to get one. Doubt there will be a Ragbrai without. I like the other ideas expressed here as well like hand sanitizer, temp checks etc. My first Ragbrai was in 1975 and I have done 20+ since. I would say that on at least half of those rides someone in our group has come down with the flu or flu like symptoms (I’ve personally gotten very sick halfway through two rides). I have no doubt those illnesses were transmitted among riders in crowded pass throughs, beer tents, pulling sodas and beers out of ice baths, etc etc. If Ragbrai happens in 2021, I’ll be much more conscientious about the preventative measures Ragbrai takes and vendors and their food handling and distribution precautions.

Papa T, October 15, 2020 at 1:49 pm

Luv 2 Ski wrote
“Wow. Pretty serious civil liberties implications there. Brave New World meets 1984.”
I rest my case!

mootsman, October 15, 2020 at 4:09 pm

And if there is one by then everyone should have to show they have gone through the vaccination process.

Wow. Pretty serious civil liberties implications there. Brave New World meets 1984.

Agreed Jboz. With that much personal freedom gone, RAGBRAI would have no point. Common sense for one person is total control for others I guess. RAGBRAI is no place for the fearful measures like required vaccines.

2 of us on our team bus got the H1N1 in 2013 and had to leave the tour midway. But we were back again next year.

This reply was modified 1 week, 6 days ago by mootsman.

Mike Murphy, October 16, 2020 at 3:43 pm

Let’s hope & pray CV19 is a distant memory by July 2021. But in case a cure, vaccines, treatments and herd immunity haven’t emerged to diminish it, probably not a bad thing to plan for.

As I see it, the biking part on it’s own probably isn’t where the transmission risk is highest…the risk is all the densely packed congregating that happens in pass-thru towns and overnight towns.

A few random ideas, but none are fully baked out.

1) If widespread rapid testing is cheap and plentiful by then, figure out a way to require it each day (color-coded daily wrist bands?) of riders, volunteers and vendors…though admittedly logistics and compliance will be difficult.
2) Kill the big concerts and replace with several, more spread out, smaller live music venues. Feature local talent at low cost rather than expensive bigger names like 38 Special. And provide a variety of genres like rock, alternative, country, blues, jazz.
3) Encourage staggered start times by extending the baggage truck deadline to 10AM, or maybe have 3 different baggage truck deadlines, i.e.: a blue 8am truck, a red 9am & green 10am.
4) Extreme, but if necessary maybe break RAGBRAI into 3 consecutive staggered start days. More logistics to work out, but it’s possible.
5) Or run 3 mini-RAGBRAIs at the same time…North, Central, South routes
6) More kybos, and spaced further apart. Place the kybos about 50 feet apart starting around a mile before each pass thru town, and again more on the way out of the pass thru town. Much better than the usual long bank of kybos with one mega line feeding them.
7) Lots of hand sanitizers, including inside AND outside each kybo (not a bad idea anyway).
8) A one-time surcharge ($50 to $100 range) to cover additional costs incurred by event.
9) More pie.

If we need to do all of these things I highly doubt the Ragbrai would be able to be held. In regards to big name bands they took your advice on that for the last three or four years. lol

Jboz, October 17, 2020 at 4:24 pm

Mike – I wasn’t suggesting RAGBRAI would need to do “all these things”. Just throwing out a random buffet of ideas, some of which could be viable next July…or may not even be needed.

Dieter Drake, October 28, 2020 at 12:58 pm

Let’s hope & pray CV19 is a distant memory by July 2021. But in case a cure, vaccines, treatments and herd immunity haven’t emerged to diminish it, probably not a bad thing to plan for.

As I see it, the biking part on it’s own probably isn’t where the transmission risk is highest…the risk is all the densely packed congregating that happens in pass-thru towns and overnight towns.

A few random ideas, but none are fully baked out.

1) If widespread rapid testing is cheap and plentiful by then, figure out a way to require it each day (color-coded daily wrist bands?) of riders, volunteers and vendors…though admittedly logistics and compliance will be difficult.
2) Kill the big concerts and replace with several, more spread out, smaller live music venues. Feature local talent at low cost rather than expensive bigger names like 38 Special. And provide a variety of genres like rock, alternative, country, blues, jazz.
3) Encourage staggered start times by extending the baggage truck deadline to 10AM, or maybe have 3 different baggage truck deadlines, i.e.: a blue 8am truck, a red 9am & green 10am.
4) Extreme, but if necessary maybe break RAGBRAI into 3 consecutive staggered start days. More logistics to work out, but it’s possible.
5) Or run 3 mini-RAGBRAIs at the same time…North, Central, South routes
6) More kybos, and spaced further apart. Place the kybos about 50 feet apart starting around a mile before each pass thru town, and again more on the way out of the pass thru town. Much better than the usual long bank of kybos with one mega line feeding them.
7) Lots of hand sanitizers, including inside AND outside each kybo (not a bad idea anyway).
8) A one-time surcharge ($50 to $100 range) to cover additional costs incurred by event.
9) More pie.

Great post. All but 4 and 5 are viable ideas. Many of these our team has already discussed (including 4 and 5…)

9 is a given. 🙂

More details soon.

Larry Klaaren, October 28, 2020 at 3:23 pm

Maybe someone has said this, but: instead of having a designated highly congested meeting town, spread the vendors out among three or four towns when possible. Or cut down on the commercial vendors and let the towns market what they have, thus spreading out the crowd. That would really give the towns a boost. Or spread the traveling vendors around a hayfield or park. To me, with the vendors up and down the street, every meeting town looks alike. Just a not very thoroughly baked thought.

Viewing 8 replies - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015