Join Us in July - Register Today!

Clips fail!

Again, I fall because of my clips. This time, somehow, I lost a screw so that when I turned my foot to unclip, the shoe moved and clip did not! Am I just really unlucky or does this sort of thing happen a lot? I am beginning to consider putting my old pedals back on.  Talk me thru this guys!

14 Replies

benherr, May 30, 2011 at 7:37 pm

First of all they are called cleats. Clips are the triangular framework with a strap running through it that you slide your foot into. As far as what happened to you, I had the same thing happen to me before. When you tighten the screws, you really have to tighten them. It’s also good practice to check them after each ride. Obviously, retighten if neccessary. Some shoes I’ve had no problems, others, it seemed like they would never stay tightened. I found that with carbon fiber soles, it helps to put a small spacer (made specifically for this purpose) between the cleat and sole before tightening.Hope this helps.

Thoreau, May 30, 2011 at 11:25 pm

I’m in my third week of cleats.  I too had a cleat come off on my first long ride, so I think that is common.  I had good luck with the cleats all the way up until this Saturday when I slowed, took my right cleat out, stopped, then leaned left to talk to a friend and did the Artie Johnson tricycle fall onto the street.  I remembered someone posting on this list that the trick is just to learn to fall calmly and I did, incurred no damage and got back on the bicycle.  So I think you should just keep trying–and make sure that your cleats are loose to allow easy unclipping.  Also carrying a hex wrench to fix the cleats on the road is good too.  Good luck!

ts, May 31, 2011 at 12:21 am

Cleats on new shoes tend to loosen a bit during the first few rides.  You need to check and tighten them before each ride.  After a few rides they will have seated and will stay tight after that, in my experience anyway.  If you start to fall, stay loose and keep your hands on the bars.  Yes, we’ve all done it!

John L, May 31, 2011 at 3:55 am

TM, You are doing fine.  My brother recently got cleats.  My suggestion is that you uncleat  VERY early. Then after a while it will be natural.  Hang in there it will get better.

Michrider !!!, May 31, 2011 at 4:34 am

Why is it that these kind of falls always happen in front of witnesses? 

indianafrank, May 31, 2011 at 7:20 am

You do have to check the screws on the cleats once in a while. Mine come loose now and then. You will notice as they start to come loose. Your foot will move just a bit while you’re in the pedal. You have to tighten the screws on the cleat really tight. In my case, the cleat comes loose on one foot but not the other. I carry a short screw driver with me just in case.

benherr, May 31, 2011 at 7:21 am

Thoreau
You don’t want your cleats loose for unclipping. That will only cause you problems. Most pedals have a screw that allows you to adjust the “tightness” of clipping in. You want it loose enough to allow you to unclip easily, but not so loose that you “pull” your foot out of the pedals . Say while climbing a hill or something. After a little experimentation you’ll find what works right for you.

Happy pedalling.

RonB, May 31, 2011 at 9:08 am

Thoreau said: and make sure that your cleats are loose to allow easy unclipping. 

Since you stated you are fairly new to cleats/clipless pedals, I’ll make the following comment to you and turtlemom.

You probably mispoke when you stated keep the cleats loose, but incase not……never keep your cleats (the thingamagig on the bottom of the shoe) loose.  This should be very tight at all times, and checked periodically to ensure they stay tight.  The adjustable tension on the pedal should be adjusted to be just tight enough to allow easy unclipping but not so loose as to pull out unintentionally.  Note:  some pedals have a built in float and release tension that is not adjustable (e.g. crank bros, etc.), so you’re stuck with whatever the tension is on this type.

turtlemom, agree that you should continue to use the clipless pedals and you should get the hang of it shortly, but in case you are just not comfy with ’em, there’s no law that you have to ride with clipless.  Lot’s of folks use platforms and tennies and do just fine, especially on a Ragbrai type ride.

turtlemom, May 31, 2011 at 10:00 am

As you guessed my fall didn’t go unseen. But as embarrassed as I was, I ended up being thankful they were there. A nice couple came along, and offered to help. I was fine(I am getting better at falling, lol) but could NOT get the shoe off the pedal. We(he) eventually got it off and I rode home unclipped. My husband(non-rider but in charge off all things mechanical) fixed the shoe and put something on it to help it stay. My daughter and I have a 100 mi, 2 day ride(RRVT) planned next weekend, so that will be my test. Not really worried about the shoe at this point, just my own confidence.

SFC JKL 2, May 31, 2011 at 11:16 am

turtlemom-  Is the bike OK?

Feel your pain on this one.  A couple years ago I somehow broke the bolt int my left cleat.  I didn’t wreck but still had to work out taking my shoe off so I could get off the bike.  I had a screwdriver in my bag so I was able to detach the shoe and rode back in with only one.

Don’t give up on the clips.  You might be able to adjust the tension on the pedal so you can unclip easier if that helps.  Just don’t loosen it too much or you’ll be unclipping when you don’t want too.

turtlemom, May 31, 2011 at 12:41 pm

Yup, the bike is fine. It was one of the slow speed, slow motion falls. Just tipped over sideways. I had one fit unclipped so you would have thought I could have managed but, nope!

Thoreau, May 31, 2011 at 12:59 pm

Sorry, I meant the tension loose on the pedal itself. 

Paul, May 31, 2011 at 7:06 pm

Try a little blue loctite when you put the screws on.

See you in less than 2 months!

turtlemom, June 1, 2011 at 8:51 am

Paul said: Try a little blue loctite when you put the screws on. See you in less than 2 months!

As a matter of fact that is what my hubby did, feel a little more secure now.

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XXXIX – 2011’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters