RAGBRAI LI Route Announced on Jan. 27!

clips

Ok, I know my Ragbrai friends will have many opinions on this so, here goes. I have been riding in running shoes, this caused some foot problems. I am planning on riding BRR in my snow boots, but as soon as it warms up for regular riding will be getting shoes. So, what suggestions do you all have? Clips, no clips, sandals, shoes. The clips scare me a bit as I am extremely uncoordinated! Let the discussion begin!

37 Replies

jwsknk, January 21, 2011 at 1:04 pm

turtlemom said: Quote from review “The nice thing about this product is that the pedal doesn’t swing much and therefore the right side can always stay up whether its the clip side or the plain pedal side.” Everything I have read about the trail says it is not too hardcore, not paved but fairly easy riding. Really looking forward to it.   We will be taking the cushy route on the RRVT, Bed and Breakfast!

will need a review of SD trip, Doing the whole trail? Guess we were about 3 years early, finished in 98. Probably why it looked a little rugged yet. Side trips to Mt. Rushmore, Wind Cave, Needles? Crazy Horse is an easy one, probably even see if from the trail.

turtlemom, January 21, 2011 at 3:37 pm

Prob wont do as much of the trail as I’d like. I will either be going it alone or dragging my husband(he’s not a rider) and he would insist on short trips! A friend is lending us their RV and placing it in a lovely secluded spot they use which just happens to be minutes from the trail. An opportunity I had to take!
  On a side note, we saw Crazy Horse the last time we went, total ripoff! You couldnt get close enough to really see it and it doesnt  look like anything yet(gotta  to use yur imagination!).

Tony, January 21, 2011 at 6:05 pm

How do you “clip into” a clipless pedal??? You engage the cleat. Anyhoooo…

At present I have CrankBrother Smartys on two of my road bikes. They are very simular to the Time Cyclo I had on my 2100. After a couple of weeks riding on them I switched out my Look Keo pedals on my Vuelta with a set of Smartys. Some folks have given the Smartys bad reviews. But I have yet to have had any problems. The Smarty pedals are identical to the Candy pedals except they are non rebuild-able. Same EggBeater design with a platform around the wings. CrankBrother calls the cleat locking mechanism inner and outer wings. Scraping the foot across the pedal lock the cleat to the  wings. You can also just press down or slide the foot forward across the wings. Very simple engagement. The cleat is almost identical to a Time ATAC cleat. My Lemans RS I have modified a bit. I changed it to a 8 speed cassette. But choose to leave it some what retro with toe clip pedals. Its original MKS pedals had shot bearings. So I bought new MKS GR-9 pedals, toe clips, and nylon straps. About $60 total. Whats nice about toe clips is that you can use street shoes. So if I need to make a quick run to the store. This is the bike I grab. I have to disagree that toe clips are harder to get into. They are very easy to get into. If you have the strap cinched. Getting out can be tricky. But most people don’t cinch the strap in town. Only when out on the road.

Note the pedal is upside down because of the toe clip.

The bottom back side of pedals designed for toe clips have a flip tab. You can either tap it with your toe or scrap the bottom of your shoe to flip it over your toe.

You can either ride with the strap loose or cinched. Loose your foot simple slide backwards out of the toe clip. When cinched you have to reach down, put your finger on the cinch release and move the buckle toward the outside of the foot. The only bad thing about cinched toe clips is panic stopping. You are not going to get it released in time. Thats why most riders do not cinch them in town.

For beginners I would start with a platform until you figure out how to handle your bike. Then try a MTB shoe with SPD pedals. Later if you want to race go with a Look style system. For sport touring like RAGBRAI I would just stick to a platform, toe clip, or MTB style. 

gordie, January 22, 2011 at 1:21 pm

My pedals have a platform on one side and SPD on the other.  So, I have a choice of locking in or not locking in.  Last year, on ragbrai, I typically did not lock in when bike traffic was heavy.  This sure made me feel a lot safer.  Normally, when I ride around home, I always “lock” in.  It’s really nice to have the option, especially coming in and out of towns on the route.

Tony, January 22, 2011 at 3:07 pm

My first RAGBRAI I rode a MTB with Nashbar Rodeo pedals. Platform on one side, SPD the other. Being new to clipless and riding in such a large group for the first time. I found it gave me more confidence having the option to release the SPD and flip to the platform side. Shimano M-324, Nashbar Rodeo, and various Wellgo WPD pedals are this style. Wellgo makes the Rodeo for Nashbar. Pedals are like saddles. You have to try them to see what you are most comfortable with. Personally I do not like SPD. I’m a fan of Time ATAC and CrankBrothers Eggbeaters. Time has a new product out called the Allroad. It is very similar to there discontinued Cyclo. I’ve used a pair of Cyclo’s for almost 10 years. The Allroad pedal has ATAC system on one side, platform on the other. Because the entry and release is so easy with ATAC and the Allroad has a platform on the other side. I would recommend looking at this pedal for tour and group riding.  The more expensive version the Allroad Gripper comes in several colors. Take a look at the CrankBrothers Candy and Smarty pedals too.

CrankBrothers Pedal Information
Time Allroad
Shimano PD-M324
Wellgo Pedals WPD-95B
Nashbar Rodeo

Miles, January 23, 2011 at 12:29 pm

I put on some Crank Bros. Candys on my commuter this fall.
I really like them, very easy to get in and out.
I haven’t had a problem with them coming up-clipped on the up stroke, yet.

I use DuraAce pedal on my other road bike.
I like them alot too.
Miles

Davy Sprocket, January 23, 2011 at 10:16 pm

Dang.  I thought this was a thread about joints.  LOL.

Viewing 7 replies - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XXXIX – 2011’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI