RAGBRAI XLIX registration is now open!

Cold weather riding

Need to start this topic up again, because the temperatures aren’t getting warmer, and I’m sure I’m not the only one looking for new ways to stay warm while riding this winter.

66 Replies

Davy Sprocket, December 23, 2010 at 4:22 pm

I think you have the Glenwood start correct, but doubt that we will have to worry too much about cold temps at the end of July…………not in Iowa anyways.

Michrider !!!, December 23, 2010 at 5:11 pm

Davey Sprocket said: I think you have the Glenwood start correct, but doubt that we will have to worry too much about cold temps at the end of July…………not in Iowa anyways.

Thanks Davey, I enjoy when people say I’m right.  It don’t happen often!

Davy Sprocket, December 23, 2010 at 5:13 pm

Michrider said:

Davey Sprocket said: I think you have the Glenwood start correct, but doubt that we will have to worry too much about cold temps at the end of July…………not in Iowa anyways.

Thanks Davey, I enjoy when people say I’m right.  It don’t happen often!

You’re right Michrider.  LOL.

Miles, December 28, 2010 at 12:24 pm

I layer it up when riding in the winter temps.  Today it was 15 degrees when i left home for work.
I have a technical T under a winter weight jersey, then a Craft winter jacket on top of that.
A bacalava, used the full face covering today.  Lobster gloves when its this cold.
Wool socks with a winter full-eather shoe, but i should have added another layer under the wool socks.

I used to use winter weight tights when riding in to work in the winter, but i bought a pair of Swrve winter weight trousers to try this year.  They’re windproof, lined, have articulated knees so pedaling in them isnt hard, flat seams, etc.
And, as i walk into the office, i;m not wearing tights.

I do wear the tights when riding for fun and not to work though.

ciscore, January 3, 2011 at 3:32 pm

Anyone else besides jwsknk ride in the sub zero temps and snow?  In August, I built up a Pugsley and I’ve been having a hell of a time in the snow so far this year.  We even had some winter bike polo matches here in Mason City in early December.  

brianrich, January 21, 2011 at 6:25 pm

My hats off to anyone doing -0 rides. I have a hard/fast 5 degree rule, even for my short commute.

I’m curious where you all stand on the “skinny tires vs fat tires” debate. I’m an urban commuter in minneapolis battling everything from brown sludge to glare ice. I’m riding a 1986 Bridgestone MTB so, I have a wide range of options.

Which do you like, a wide floating tire or a narrow sludge cutter?

Michrider !!!, January 22, 2011 at 3:15 pm

This morning it was minus 8 degrees outside my door.  I did a 2 hour (indoor) spin session.  That should count for something!!!!

ts, January 22, 2011 at 6:15 pm

brianrich said: Which do you like, a wide floating tire or a narrow sludge cutter?

Sort of in-between.  I commute on a cyclocross bike and normally use 700x32c tires.  I currently have Ritchey Speedmax tires and like them a lot.  I commute on dirt/gravel trails as well as streets and the Speedmax tires are really good on both.  They’re pretty good in snow and ice as well – almost as good as mountain bike tires.

jwsknk, January 22, 2011 at 6:23 pm

brianrich said: My hats off to anyone doing -0 rides. I have a hard/fast 5 degree rule, even for my short commute. I’m curious where you all stand on the “skinny tires vs fat tires” debate. I’m an urban commuter in minneapolis battling everything from brown sludge to glare ice. I’m riding a 1986 Bridgestone MTB so, I have a wide range of options. Which do you like, a wide floating tire or a narrow sludge cutter?

Mine on the MTB are wider and have 4 rows of studs. you do the ride last night and planing on Stuporbowl? A fellow Skunk has a shop up there, Sunrise Cyclery. I’m sure Jamie would be happy to help you out.

Davy Sprocket, January 23, 2011 at 10:38 pm

ts said:

brianrich said: Which do you like, a wide floating tire or a narrow sludge cutter?

Sort of in-between.  I commute on a cyclocross bike and normally use 700x32c tires.  I currently have Ritchey Speedmax tires and like them a lot.  I commute on dirt/gravel trails as well as streets and the Speedmax tires are really good on both.  They’re pretty good in snow and ice as well – almost as good as mountain bike tires.

Here in So. IA. we usually have either Ice or Snow and not much slush.  I prefer a heavy mountain tread.  No crashes so far so I call that a success.

ts, January 23, 2011 at 11:35 pm

Davy Sprocket said:

Here in So. IA. we usually have either Ice or Snow and not much slush.  I prefer a heavy mountain tread.  No crashes so far so I call that a success.

I will admit that I usually leave the bike in the garage if there’s too much snow or ice on the roads.  It’s not so bad on the trails since it gets “dirty” and mixed in with the dirt.

brianrich, January 25, 2011 at 11:58 am

jwsknk said:

Mine on the MTB are wider and have 4 rows of studs. you do the ride last night and planing on Stuporbowl? A fellow Skunk has a shop up there, Sunrise Cyclery. I’m sure Jamie would be happy to help you out.

Sunrise is 6 blocks from my office! I’ll stop in over lunch and see what he has for treads. I also need new fenders.

Will he know you as JW of the Skunks? If so, I’ll be sure you get the credit for the sale.

jwsknk, January 25, 2011 at 12:41 pm

brianrich said:

jwsknk said:

Mine on the MTB are wider and have 4 rows of studs. you do the ride last night and planing on Stuporbowl? A fellow Skunk has a shop up there, Sunrise Cyclery. I’m sure Jamie would be happy to help you out. Sunrise is 6 blocks from my office! I’ll stop in over lunch and see what he has for treads. I also need new fenders. Will he know you as JW of the Skunks? If so, I’ll be sure you get the credit for the sale.

he should, I’m the only jim right now from Ames doing the ride with the Skunks..

David Ertl, February 1, 2011 at 1:25 pm

Here’s another idea. When it’s cold, it’s really the wind that is the enemy, including the wind that you generate.  If it isn’t too snowy, I prefer to ride my mountain bike in the woods.  Very little wind chill.  I can ride at 10 degrees and come home soaked through.  Water bottle tends to freeze, though.  If that isn’t possible, another option is riding on gravel or dirt roads, again a mountain bike is preferred. You don’t go as fast on a mountain bike so you don’t generate as much wind chill.  If it’s too snowy for either of these two options, then by all means get out and snowshoe or XC ski – great cross training options and a lot more fun than cycling in the cold.

dberry, February 1, 2011 at 1:36 pm

current weather today in south west iowa, 30 miles from starting point…

Tuesday, 1:40 pm  ( -5 degrees F ) – roads 80-100% covered with snow with 4 inches of snow last night with another 4-5 expected tonight.  Increasing winds 30-40 mph and drifting occurring overnight.  visibility at times will range from 10-20 feet.

i’ll wait and ride another day.

Viewing 15 replies - 46 through 60 (of 66 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI