RAGBRAI LI Route Announced on Jan. 27!

Computer

In the market for a new puter for my bike…already doing research but sometimes the best info you can get is from people who are actually using the product…

Looking to spend no more than $75…so what do you think is the best puter to be had for that price range? (In a perfect world, I’d buy the Garmin 500 but it’s really going overboard – $250)…

10 Replies

Sandaltan ., April 18, 2012 at 7:13 pm

Planet Bike does everything I want. I have a PB ‘puter on three of our bikes. The big plus for me is they are easy to set, hold up in the rain and they have a thick wire that does not break easily.

RIDE RIGHT

rongar, April 18, 2012 at 9:15 pm

Do you already own a smartphone? Some great apps available for iPhone & Android.

KittySlayer, April 18, 2012 at 9:53 pm

Cateye! That is what my wife uses on her bike as well as the back end of the tandem. Durable, intuitive and they simply just work.

Tony, April 19, 2012 at 3:19 am

CatEye Strada with cadence.

Nashbar 45 bucks.

barbara45000, April 19, 2012 at 8:22 am

I recently purchased a Node 2 by Bontrager and I’m not sure I’m real happy. I haven’t played around with the features too much but it seems kind of complicated. Does nayone else one or one like it? Any suggestions??

CyclingCyclone, April 19, 2012 at 5:02 pm

Sigma. A really nice variety of computers. Easy to set up, easy to use, never had any trouble with mine. Sold tons of them while working in the bike shops. Should be able to find them at any local bike shop. I used one for years before I broke down and got a Garmin 705.

knees36, April 19, 2012 at 7:04 pm

Cateye is another nice option. My first was the wireless CL-100 which finally stopped operating after many years (even with a new battery) after riding BRR, a winter ride. I figured the cold that day ruined some component. Have had its newer brother, the wireless CL-200 for quite a few years now (but I don’t use it in the extreme cold) and it’s pretty well perfect for any of my riding. The CL-200 is probably outdated and very likely impossible to find a new one anywhere, but you’d find it hard to go wrong with a newer version of a wireless Cateye with basic functions like total mileage, trip distance, average speed, maximum speed and clock. What other info would you need to have so much fun on RAG or on your training rides? 8)

Wonder Woman, April 19, 2012 at 7:36 pm

I have the NODE 1 by Bontrager, I got it because the sensor fit into my Trek frame, which is about the only feature I love. After 2 years I have yet to figure out how to use most of the features or what they are (especially since it doesn’t come with a manual). Wish I had spent a little more and just got a GPS.

Wonder Woman, April 19, 2012 at 7:41 pm

So what features are you looking for in a computer? Speed, odometer. Trip, Time. Are you looking for cadence? Heart rate (lol I know you). Wired or wireless?

barbara45000, April 19, 2012 at 8:35 pm

For the Node computers, you can download the manual from their website….I purchased it mostly to track my altidutes and hill grades and am not able to figure it out…frustrating….

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XL – 2012’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI