RAGBRAI LI Route Announced on Jan. 27!

Concerned on lack of training progress….In need of pep talk

I believe I would call this post a need for a pep talk haha. I am around 200 miles YTD. As a graduating Master’s student (thesis defense, paper submitting) I am finding it hard to find time to ride, and when I do find time I am exhausted. The lack of prep miles last year (first time) hit me hard. averaged 12 mph and around 8-10 hour days. that wasn’t from being leisurely, but from stopping so often…I am sure the heat didn’t help my case. I am a farely large clyde, on the order of 265 and 6’4″, so I was puffing and sputtering accross the sate last year. I was/am determined not to repeat my fate, but have become concerned that it is inevitable at this point. I just couldnt justify riding my bike when my career was on the line.

Yes I know better time management may have solved the problem more effectively, but either way I am where i am now and need to get a move on. Just had to get that off my chest.

P.S. I havent even had the chance to train on consumption or kurb sitting so I am in rough shape…

91 Replies

Paul, May 28, 2012 at 9:22 pm

Go Roberto Go…..I am with you all the way bud.

Zinger, May 28, 2012 at 9:35 pm

I’ve got 127 training miles in so far. Am I worried about riding RAGBRAI? Heck no! I’ll ride more consistently the next two months and be absolutely fine. You will too! Ride as often as you can and as far as you can – what more can you do?

OhioCyclone, May 28, 2012 at 9:37 pm

on the other hand my spelling was kind of atrocious… Roberto definitely has a point. I am down 15 lbs from my weight as of the beginning of the year. IT is a start.

SSC1, May 28, 2012 at 10:05 pm

OhioCyclone:
on the other hand my spelling was kind of atrocious… Roberto definitely has a point. I am down 15 lbs from my weight as of the beginning of the year. IT is a start.

Good job on the weight…..!

doon’t wory tu much aboute yer speling………wi get itt!

flyinbrian, May 29, 2012 at 12:09 am

CyclingRoberto:
I’m a nice cyclist who’s simply tired of people making excuses.Judging from the shape the average American is in, I’d say there is a need…

Judging from the various posts I’ve read, you’re a bit of a conceited jerk. Always bragging about your mileage and generally looking down on less experienced riders. The guy was looking for a little encouragement and you dump on him. That isn’t cool and neither are you.

spaul, May 29, 2012 at 2:30 am

Um, in Roberto’s defense… what are you supposed to say to somebody 250 pounds + who admits to not training, is worried about their ability to endure the ride, and pops in asking for advice? Seriously? A pep talk? Is that what’s needed? Everything’s gonna be okay? Drink some beer and eat some pie? Ragbrai isn’t that tough and most anybody can do it. But tough love now is better than collapse on the road-side later, and a positive attitude and a “pep talk” now is worthless if your body is just going to break down in July. Of course keep that positive attitude, but train. And start right away.

OhioCyclone, May 29, 2012 at 4:05 am

OK, I will go ahead and pat myself on the back for opening this can of worms…no need for a debate friends. I didn’t say I haven’t trained I said I’m thus far lacking in miles. I made it last year, I can do it again. Pardon me for having a moment of online weakness. I know now to shut my mouth and ride on. Im sure after graduation I will find the time for some good riding, and all my concern now will dissipate.

Thanks for what I am gonna take as constructive criticism.

Best Regards,

Jboz, May 29, 2012 at 7:22 am

I’ve never been a big fan of hurling insults at people I don’t know. You never now what people are going through, or what obstacles lie in their path. Yes, you can spin it as tough love, but that’s not how it was intended because the reality is the giver of said tough love doesn’t love, know or give two hoots about the recipient. Personally, on Ragbrai I would far rather ride a few miles alongside and share the company of an overweight guy who had momentary spelling lapse than a snarky, smug, sanctimonious jerk.

Sandaltan ., May 29, 2012 at 7:32 am

CR, I still love ya!! And…if anyone needs a pep talk search “Any given Sunday and Al Pacino”

RIDE RIGHT.

OhioCyclone, May 29, 2012 at 7:40 am

Great movie and great pep talk…good call Sandaltan.

glen gallo, May 29, 2012 at 8:17 am

OK

I would disregard the posts that are not helpful and concentrate on the ones that are. You should feel more than welcome to post.

First congrats on the Master’s which is far more important than anything else on your plate.

When one must look for time to ride as you are it is best to put a schedule on the table. Even if it is a ten mile ride I find that conditioning the butt is as important as conditioning the legs and wind.Try for at least three rides a week and if you can get more miles go for it

Make sure you work all the kinks out and adjust your bike correctly. It is possible that you are wasting energy by not having a proper fit.

Find someone to talk to on the road when struggling, It always helps to try to keep up with someone

12 mph is not that bad. I am guessing I will be close to the same pace. I can move pretty fast when I want but am going with slower riders (my kids) and will simply cruise and enjoy. Attitude is everything when on long lonely stretches of highway.

Good luck and feel free to vent anytime

SSC1, May 29, 2012 at 8:29 am

spaul:
Um, in Roberto’s defense… what are you supposed to say to somebody 250 pounds + who admits to not training, is worried about their ability to endure the ride, and pops in asking for advice? Seriously? A pep talk? Is that what’s needed? Everything’s gonna be okay? Drink some beer and eat some pie? Ragbrai isn’t that tough and most anybody can do it. But tough love now is better than collapse on the road-side later, and a positive attitude and a “pep talk” now is worthless if your body is just going to break down in July. Of course keep that positive attitude, but train. And start right away.

Having been a member of dozens of forums over the past 15 years, moderator of a few, I can say with clarity – it isn’t what is said – it is how it is said. The content of what Roberto was trying to present was fine – but the way in which it was presented was not. Picture a room full of people and someone got up and asked the proverbial question about training – and Roberto stood up and said what he said. In general, most human beings wouldn’t espouse “tough love” spoken in such a way. Tough love can happen in a gentle way as well.

Empathy and altruism are very important notions when considering all people.

OhioCyclone, May 29, 2012 at 8:51 am

glen gallo: Attitude is everything when on long lonely stretches of highway.

Good thing RAGBRAI isn’t in the least bit lonely :-P

jaywise65, May 29, 2012 at 9:06 am

I think riders worry too much about lack of training. I rode all week last year. I bought a bike two weeks before the start. I got just over 100 miles in pre ride. I did fine. My ass hurt like hell, but that was the only issue I had. I’m normally in pretty good shape, so I think that has a lot to do with it. If you are in decent condition, you shouldn’t have that big of a problem. I’ve got to agree with Roberto on the points he made. There are too many people whining about their health and the condition they are in. It’s so simple, do away with the junk food, eat healthy and move your body every chance you get. There is an epidemic happening nowadays, a movement to make being overweight and unhealthy the norm. People that don’t want to make the change to good health want acceptance no matter what the consequence is. It’s really worrisome.

ptiemann69, May 29, 2012 at 9:32 am

Ohio – I can REALLY feel your pain. As much as I hate to make excuses for my lack of training – it happens. I found out early last fall I had PMDD (Pre-Menstrual Dysphoric Disorder). Some people will say this is an extreme excuse but the symptoms and depression I have been feeling are very real. I hate to be labeled but was finding training and motivation a real issue. I was only able to ride three days in last years RAGBRAI due to injuries. So my goal this year was to train really hard and come back strong to ride the whole thing. I jazzercised and played volleyball all winter but have only ridden my bike a half dozen times so far. I started walking a mile 3x a day during my morning breaks at the begining of this month. I have also added vitamins & supplements to help with the PMDD. The advice of starting to ride whenever & wherever is a good one. We need to get on our bikes now and ride when we can. It needs to be where we put our priorities now. Walk, ride, tone and train as much as you can and I wish you the very best of luck!!!
Pam

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 91 total)

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XL – 2012’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI