RAGBRAI LI Route Announced on Jan. 27!

Concerned on lack of training progress….In need of pep talk

I believe I would call this post a need for a pep talk haha. I am around 200 miles YTD. As a graduating Master’s student (thesis defense, paper submitting) I am finding it hard to find time to ride, and when I do find time I am exhausted. The lack of prep miles last year (first time) hit me hard. averaged 12 mph and around 8-10 hour days. that wasn’t from being leisurely, but from stopping so often…I am sure the heat didn’t help my case. I am a farely large clyde, on the order of 265 and 6’4″, so I was puffing and sputtering accross the sate last year. I was/am determined not to repeat my fate, but have become concerned that it is inevitable at this point. I just couldnt justify riding my bike when my career was on the line.

Yes I know better time management may have solved the problem more effectively, but either way I am where i am now and need to get a move on. Just had to get that off my chest.

P.S. I havent even had the chance to train on consumption or kurb sitting so I am in rough shape…

91 Replies

flyinbrian, June 1, 2012 at 2:35 pm

CyclingRoberto: What kind do you need?Sounds like a personal issue.

Sounds like you have many personal issues by the way you judge everyone else on here. This is not the first person you’ve been a jerk to on here. If you do show up in Iowa I’d love to personally teach you some lessons about showing others respect.

Sandaltan ., June 1, 2012 at 3:13 pm

Enough. Let us move on.

RIDE RIGHT

Michrider !!!, June 1, 2012 at 4:09 pm

As Jerry Springer has been known to say, “Can’t we all just get along”??????

Wonder Woman, June 1, 2012 at 6:53 pm

Wow, this is maybe the most entertaining thread I’ve read thus far since I’ve been following this board.
As far as riding 4000 miles thus far…I live in MN, seriously broke my ankle in Feb, am trying to raise 2 boys, and have a full time job…I’m proud I have 400 miles on since I was able to get back on a bike and ride outside.
As far as speed, it’s not a race, being able to make the 10-12 miles between towns is where you need to look at your training. You don’t need to worry about long rides as much as a 10-20 mile ride several times a week and a longer ride on the weekends.
Like Nike says, just do it. Make a chart or write it on the calendar and give yourself a “reasonable” goal. If you are exhausted, just tell yourself you will go on a “little” ride…often then you feel motivated to go farther, but if it’s 2 miles, that’s 2 miles farther than before.
Good luck
see you in July

Paul, June 1, 2012 at 7:17 pm

I am a BIG fan of Cycling Roberto. So what, sometimes you need some straight from the hip talk. His mile to date are very motivating.

I’ll have a beer with him on the Kurb, absolutely!

Go Roberto Go!

CyclingRoberto, June 1, 2012 at 8:12 pm

Paul:
I am a BIG fan of Cycling Roberto. So what, sometimes you need some straight from the hip talk. His mile to date are very motivating.

I’ll have a beer with him on the Kurb, absolutely!

Go Roberto Go!

Thanks for your kind words, and I will join you for a cool beverage any time.

I know OC got my message with the hard-love it was intended to deliver.

See you on the road.

Paul, June 1, 2012 at 8:18 pm

You can count on it bro, fast 25 mile paced ride tonight…..looking good!

rjjensenia, June 1, 2012 at 9:03 pm

This is better then the “bandits caused the last death on ragbrai”

Jerry Springer is right!

rjj

mlwalk, June 2, 2012 at 7:22 am

Hey, did any of you watch that Hatfields and McCoys Special on the History channel or did you just post in this thread. Kinda similar stuff someone takes offense and things get out of hand for the next 40 years!!

Michrider !!!, June 2, 2012 at 7:37 am

mlwalk:
Hey, did any of you watch that Hatfields and McCoys Special on the History channel or did you just post in this thread.Kinda similar stuff someone takes offense and things get out of hand for the next 40 years!!

Hey, that’s my hog!!!!

mlwalk, June 2, 2012 at 8:00 am

His ear has my mark, now come on up to my moonshine still or any curb in Iowa and we can settle this.

Michrider: Hey, that’s my hog!!!!

busymike, June 3, 2012 at 10:14 am

can we stop trolling?

OhioCyclone, June 3, 2012 at 12:34 pm

Dont’ quite see where the trolling comment has come from…Natural evolution of a thread really… I did watch the hatfields and mccoys, and I believe it is an excellent analogy haha

CyclingRoberto, June 3, 2012 at 3:43 pm

Just so it is in the light of day, one of the members of this forum is now private messaging me with threats and name-calling. Claiming I’m hiding behind my anonymous forum name. I’m not going to credit this person by naming them, but I will say this: I’m not hiding anywhere. But if you can’t freely express yourself in the manner you choose (and then suffer the consequences and insults that follow), then there’s no reason to post on any forum anywhere. I can dish it, and I can take it. I never come from a position of hate. I will say that being blunt can be one of my faults for sure, but I love cycling and am ready to offer encouragement and advice when asked. If you don’t like the way I say it, fire away at me. But NEVER threaten me. I left that sort of behavior behind in high school.
OC, the thread has gotten old. You started it with the right intention, but I for one am not looking for a feud with anyone, especially a hothead who resorts to threats.
Good luck with your training and weight loss. See you on the road.

Paul, June 3, 2012 at 3:51 pm

I am still with you Roberto, it sounds a little high schoolish with the PM’s directed your way. If people don’t prepare, they are jeapodizing their own safety as well as others.

It’s a sad situation when some people resort to threats.

Stay strong!

Viewing 15 replies - 76 through 90 (of 91 total)

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XL – 2012’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI