Concerts starting at 9PM

I think I am getting old. I love to ride my bike and I love music. After riding 50-80 miles per day I found it hard to stay up for the bands in the overnight towns, knowing I would be waking up between 5 and 6 a.m.. I really enjoyed the bands in some of the daily meeting towns. The majority of registered people I saw riding were somewhere between 35 and 70. Please weigh in and let me know if starting the bands earlier would be a good idea, or if I am just getting old. And kids stay off my yard:)

12 Replies

LawnchairMan, August 5, 2016 at 11:34 pm

I empathize with you entirely. Of course, I am 64, so maybe my opinion doesn’t count. The quiet time for campgrounds used to be 9 o’clock. It still says that if you look online. But, the last couple of rider packets has it at 10 o’clock.

I thought we were in Iowa to ride bikes, not listen to bands all night. I try to get up at 4 am, so I think the bands should be FINISHED by 10. I have learned to let it go though, and have my ear plugs handy. They worked well this year.

GORDON BROWN, August 6, 2016 at 7:10 am

Ride hard. Drink more. Ear plugs.

I enjoyed a couple of the acts, but was also in bed by 11′ every night. For some this is “the best part” of Ragbrai, to each their own and it is a “ride your own ride” type of thing.

jeffreydennis, August 6, 2016 at 7:54 pm

Didn’t make it to a single concert this year. Went to three last year. I get up about 5:30 and 5-6 hours of sleep makes the next day really hard. Didn’t think any this year were worth the pain the next day. OTOH, 7-8 PM start for concerts would be OK by me.

powellpd, August 7, 2016 at 9:16 am

It would probably be a good idea if the RAGBRAI employees send out a survey that covers these issues about the time concerts begin and end. I know that I filled out a survey already, but they only asked how many concerts I attended. I noticed in my campsite (about 450 riders) that almost all riders were ready to get on the road by 7:00am. I personally was up around 5:30am. Establishing a “quiet time” and having riders honoring the policy certainly would benefit the riders who follow a healthy regard for the need to sleep. Most bikers understand their muscles recover as the body sleeps. I don’t know about anyone else, but I was truly exhausted after each day’s ride (I rode the entire week) and was getting ready for bed around 9:00pm!!!

jake d, August 7, 2016 at 4:57 pm

I don’t like the late start times either. I often miss a good band, but can usually sleep thru the music. It’s the fireworks show afterward that really pisses me off… OTTUMWA! And it’s my home town.

Brian Wallenburg, August 7, 2016 at 9:12 pm

…and then the fireworks after the fireworks is what really irritated me! must have been between 1:00 and 2:00 AM. Never really want to go through there again. Camping anywhere near the hwy 34 was awful.

jake d, August 8, 2016 at 8:29 pm

Was that the fireworks after the fireworks, or the fireworks after the fireworks after those fireworks. I lost track in between trains.

jwsknk, August 9, 2016 at 8:18 am

was that Glenwood where fireworks went off sporadically during a bands set? like 1 or 2 at a time, some just percussive. Ottumwa only saw the ones at 10:30 after the headliner. there were some random ones going off around town after that, probably locals who made the trip to Missouri to buy some. 8:30 to 10:00 for the headliner then fireworks if the town wants but not really need every night for us, I think it’s a bigger deal to the locals. From where we were camped, a couple of the later bands after the headliners were easier to understand. less volume, booming bass and clearer vocals. I usually don’t hit the bed until 11:30 or so. Then try to sleep through all the noisy people up before the sun.

hnschipper, August 9, 2016 at 9:13 am

I, too, wish the bands would end earlier. It’s especially difficult in the smaller overnight towns to camp somewhere where you can’t hear the ban playing into the wee hours of the morning.

BrendaRein, August 9, 2016 at 1:53 pm

I am 47, from the MPLS area and live to see live music. I agree it would be great if the bands could start earlier. I went to Rick Springfield and Hairball this year. It appears to be more of an event for the locals, which is great, but we left early and were overcome with cigarette smoke from all the wonderful locals chain smoking. I love seeing their enthusiasm and am so happy for their towns. I often take for granite I can see live music in many venues any night of the week in MPLS. But an early start of bands would be greatly appreciated. If bands end at 11 and a shuttle bus line and ride add 1.5 hours, it is too late. I am not old, but I am at Ragbrai to bike, enjoy small town IA and listen to the fun music. 7:30-8 PM would be great. I also get done riding around 1-2, fetch bag, toss ten, shower and head into town. By the time the bands are on, I am already back at camp, legs are tired – do I really want to get on a bus and head back to town????

BrendaRein, August 9, 2016 at 1:57 pm

BTW – Martin Zellar – Gear Daddies – G. B. Leighton and Nate Nelson…. If the RAGBRAI Gods are listening…… 7:30-8 PM Start Times…………

Niles, August 9, 2016 at 4:09 pm

gee, you early birds. My team leaves 7:30 in the morning and only get into meeting town by 1-2 pm then reach our daily destination by 6:30-7:30 pm. We are not a young team but we don’t ride slowly either, just stop each town and beer garden a lot. So, 9:00 pm concert starting time fits into our pace very well.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015