PART OF THE USA TODAY NETWORK

Concessions at campsite in Newton this year

Hey everyone! My 10u traveling softball team will have a concession stand at the softball field campsite in Newton this year. I am wanting to get an idea as to what everyone will want us to serve. I look at it this way. If I can get an idea what the people riding/driving want it will make a better experience for everyone. Please reply to this with anything and everything that you want at the concession stand and we will do our best to accommodate and make this the best camp area on the trip!

25 Replies

jake d, May 1, 2018 at 8:57 pm

Never had a bad BLT on Ragbrai, and they’re always a big hit.

Gary Ervin, May 6, 2018 at 11:21 am

Standing out from the crowd is important, like another poster said. Chocolate milk is fine, but there are better alternatives. Yoohoo is a favorite among my cycling friends. It has nutritional advantages over chocolate milk. Please get the large bottles and not the boxes if your team decides on this suggestion. https://n.stuccu.com/s/Yoo+Hoo+Drink?drsm=5aef2a8bdccc280f808fc408

I’m guessing every stand will have corn on the cob, and that’s fine. But consider variations on what you have there, like corn. How about “elote?” To set it apart from the others, think about serving it in a cup. I like sour cream on mine as well, but remember to keep the sour cream refrigerated until used. I copy/pasted a good recipe to consider.

MEXICAN STREET CORN | IN A CUP OR IN THE COB RECIPE

In Northern Mexico, Street Corn basic recipe consists of simply butter, salt, queso cotija, chilli powder, salsa, and lime.

Ingredients
White Mexican Corn
Queso Cotija
Butter
Salt
Limes
Chili Powder (My favorite is the brand: Tajin)
Wood Skewers

Instructions
Clean the corn, removing all husk hairs.
IN a large tall pot, add water hallways to cover all the corns. Boil for about 1-2 hours in low-medium temperature until tender.
If you want corn in the cob, let them cool a bit and add wood skewers to the corn.
For corn in a cup, cover corn and let cool completely. Using a knife, carefully cut off the corn grains from the cob. In a small pot, add about a cup of water and heat up the corn with 3 tablespoons of butter, and salt to taste.

How to serve your corn in a cup:
In a cup, add corn halfways, about 1 teaspoon of queso cotija, a little lime juice and chili powder (if desired). Fill the rest of the cup with corn and add more queso cotija, a drizzle of lime juice and chili powder(if desired).

How to serve your corn in the cob:
Butter the corn all the way through, add salt, a drizzle of lime juice. Cover the corn in the cup completely with queso cotija and chili (powder if desired).

I hope this gives you some ideas.

Greg Hunter, May 6, 2018 at 9:28 pm

I have noticed from a scouring of the forums that there are several people asking about vegetarian options. One of the riders on my team is vegetarian. So if you can offer something that can easily be with/without meat then you may be able to get that niche business. BLT with avacado and no B might be an option for the meatless people. Or any pasta that can have the meat sauce replaced with a meatless version. Just a thought for your planning

Bruce Woodrow, May 7, 2018 at 9:31 pm

I agree that vegetarian options are good. Although I am not strictly vegetarian I will often opt for it available. And at least one member of our Team (of 60) is strictly vegetarian.

Wraps instead bread might set you apart from the crowd.

Bob Card, May 9, 2018 at 9:55 am

On a hot day, a cold slice of watermelon is a blissful treat.

jay williams, May 9, 2018 at 10:07 am

All week I’m searching for a great salad.

Larry Klaaren, May 9, 2018 at 4:29 pm

Folks, this is a U10 team. These kids are less than 10 years old at the start of the season.

jelly0317, May 9, 2018 at 8:08 pm

jay: Two years ago, a BBQ trailer was in every overnight. It had a smaller trailer behind it containing a salad bar with about every topping you could want. I didn’t see it last year, though.
Larry: The kids could do the serving, money-handling, and cleanup, with the parents handling the food preparation.

Larry Klaaren, May 9, 2018 at 8:14 pm

Well folks are talking complicated stuff. I doubt if they want to do anything they can’t take home what is left, keep, and sell another night. Any spoilage comes 100% off of the profit. I have been there. He said we are talking concession stand here, not restaurant. And there is the health inspector issue if they prepare anything on site.

This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by  Larry Klaaren.

This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by  Larry Klaaren.

Larry Klaaren, May 9, 2018 at 8:49 pm

There’s great ideas here, but some of them are more for vendors traveling along than a group of kids and parents putting it together for one evening. That’s all. Klondike Bars! There’s something I won’t pass up, if there is a freezer in your concession stand.

Viewing 10 replies - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015

RAGBRAI XLII – 2014