RAGBRAI LI July 20 -27, 2024

Conspiracy theory

First day Glenwood –> Shenandoah 49.7 miles, 2614 ft climb

Last day Washington –> Muscatine 49.7 miles, 1314 ft climb

Coincidence? I think not …

33 Replies

trknight, February 3, 2016 at 10:46 pm

jwsknk, maybe someday the RAGBRAI gods will select New Hampton or Nashua in Chickasaw County for an overnight. I think New Hampton has a population of about 3,500 and Nashua about 1/2 that.

jwsknk, February 4, 2016 at 10:15 am

how about a last 2 days New Hampton, Waukon, Guttenberg? takes care of those 2. Nashua, Little Brown Church (in the vale) been through there a couple of times.

jake d, February 4, 2016 at 6:13 pm

jwsknk, I feel your pain. I too need Allamakee along with one other county. Fortunately with this year’s Washington to Muscatine day I will be able to cross off Louisa one way or another.
We can always hope for Waukon, but I fear the next day logistics of getting south past Hwy 52/18 make it doubtful.

“Bicycle Bill”, February 5, 2016 at 2:41 am

The last time RAGBRAI was in Allamakee County was RAGBRAI V in 1977, when we finished in Lansing.  I had found out about the ride, drove down to Spillville, and joined the group for the last day from Spillville to Lansing.  So I’ve been there……

In fact, I’ll have to get out my old maps and cue sheets and plot the routes of all the RAGBRAI’s I have been on.  I might be one of the few who have bagged all 99 counties.

-“BB”-

“Bicycle Bill”, February 5, 2016 at 2:46 am

The last time RAGBRAI was in Allamakee County was RAGBRAI V in 1977, when we finished in Lansing.  I had found out about the ride, drove down to Decorah, and joined the group for the last day from Decorah to Lansing.  So I’ve been there……

In fact, I’ll have to get out my old maps and cue sheets and plot the routes of all the RAGBRAI’s I have been on.  I might be one of the few who have bagged all 99 counties.

-“BB”-

T. Gap Woo, February 5, 2016 at 10:03 am

I said this last year, but it seems to need repeating again. KEEP POLITICS OUT OF THIS FORUM! We don’t need all of the political hot air now (it will cause rapid snow melt that will lead to more flooding on the Big Muddy) or in July (it will be hot enough then, and who needs a hot tailwind?). Also, who needs the stink of political BS? The fragrance of the hog farms and cattle feedlots in July will be enough.

Take your political arguments to another forum or the DMR Letters to the Editor page.

See you along the I-O-Way in July.

Rick Stewart, February 7, 2016 at 1:41 am

I sort of like the politics. Conspiracy theories are always political, right? People in power, behind closed doors, making decisions that impact the rest of us, but refusing to acknowledge their conspiracy. Makes me shudder.

Wouldn’t we all be better off if we just aired it out in the open? They say the light of day sanitizes things.

Since it’s now Black History Month how about listening to Frederick Douglass talk about conspiracies. “Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe.”

That’s political. And I’m buying extra bike locks …

Jason Stoller, February 7, 2016 at 5:51 am

Wait! Ragbrai is about cycling? Jboz are you sure you don’t mean recycling year after year? Wait! I don’t think I get my own connection!

LoL!

Jason

Evin Thompson, February 7, 2016 at 8:07 am

Has any politician mentioned anything about bicycling? Laws need to be changed to protect cyclists and additional funding is needed to build better bike paths and lanes in our great republic. Any political aspirant that throws their leg over the top tube and comes on RAGBRAI will get a serious consideration from me.

Amanda, February 7, 2016 at 9:45 am

Ethompson, I think hell just froze over. ?

Trykeguy, February 7, 2016 at 12:28 pm

Ethompson, Gary Johnson, Libertarian candidate for President is a bike enthusiast and has a RAGBRAI background.

rjjensenia, February 8, 2016 at 7:35 am

Bruce Babbitt (Presidential candidate) rode the entire week in 1986.

jwsknk, February 8, 2016 at 8:00 am

Was that 86? Did I ended up riding with his daughter between two towns because his group was too slow? I know I ran into Offenberger just outside of a town. He introduced us. After about a half mile at their pace I was ready to move on, she was too.

KenH, February 8, 2016 at 9:53 am

I shook Richard Nixon’s hand once at a political rally but RAGBRAI had not been invented yet and I don’t suppose he was a likely participant! Saw the Trump bus a couple of times last year, but I don’t think the Donald was in it. I’ve read, in the wake of his recent crash, that John Kerry is quite the cyclist. Probably not available this year but some year he would make an interesting RAGBRAI riding partner. For a mile or two, from what I’ve heard that is about as long as I could keep up with him!

Cameron Cranston, February 10, 2016 at 11:32 pm

And they have the same number of letters in the towns names (if you include the space between Glenwood –> Shenandoah)!

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters