The Register's Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa

Council Bluffs Campgrounds not open till Saturday?

Council Bluffs DM’ed me on Twitter, and then posted that their campgrounds do not open until 6 AM on Saturday. This is a first for me, we have arrived on Friday for the last 13 years and always been able to camp in one of the camp grounds.

I am not sure yet what we will do, but it is too late to change plans and not arrive on Friday.

9 Replies

LMnelmart, July 17, 2019 at 6:21 pm

If it were me, I would contact them again and question that, pointing out that p. 79 of Participant Guide states that camping is available on Friday and Saturday nights in Council Bluffs.

R-Daryl Daryl, July 17, 2019 at 6:30 pm

Interesting – considering at least one official charter has transport from Keokuk to Council Bluffs on Friday.

3 Pedal, July 18, 2019 at 10:48 am

Their social media person has forwarded the information that they are supposed to have the campgrounds open to their RAGBRAI committees. Friday could be interesting as people start showing up.

Samantha Allen, July 18, 2019 at 11:08 am

Where exactly is the campgrounds in Council Bluffs? And I couldn’t find the times that the ragbrai truck leaves every morning that hauls the luggage, does anyone know?

This reply was modified 1 month ago by  Samantha Allen.

LMnelmart, July 18, 2019 at 1:48 pm

Hi Samantha. You’ll need to load your baggage on the truck before 8 am each day. See https://ragbrai.com/about/general-information/

Council Bluffs has maps posted at https://www.ragbraicb.com/maps/. Look for the main campground -that is where the baggage truck will be.

3 Pedal, July 18, 2019 at 2:54 pm

I heard back from CB. They will not officially open the camp grounds until Saturday morning, but we are free to camp in them Friday. Since they won’t apparently be completely set up, if you take a spot they plan to use for something, they may ask you to move.

Kelli Libby, July 19, 2019 at 9:49 am

Don’t worry you won’t be the only one there. I would advise you camp in the RAGBRAI assigned area, unless you are going with a Charter then camp in their assigned area. Our Charter will be starting our set up in a couple of hours. By 9:00pm we will joined by hundreds. We set up every Friday before RAGBRAI and have hundreds of people arrive Friday. Relax it’s RAGBRAI. Have a great ride!!

allan kokinda, July 19, 2019 at 2:14 pm

I’m here now and charters are setting up. Several independent tents are already in the choice shady spots. Kybos in place, water bottle spigots are on.

3 Pedal, July 19, 2019 at 4:33 pm

We have arrived and see people setting up camp. It is sort of strange, was told camp ground is closed but they would let us camp if we went where told. I feel bad for the guy we talked to, as he was told they didn’t need to open the camp grounds until tomorrow. Not sure where that ball got dropped. It will work out, but sort of strange.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015

RAGBRAI XLII – 2014