The Register's Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa

Couple Questions for a First Timer

Hey Friends!

I’ll make this short.

1) I’m nervous about the lottery. Should I be? What are the chances that the three of us (I’m going for the first time, with my wife and best friend; the three of us have never been.) won’t get in? Are there things we can do to increase our chances?

2) Should I register as a ‘team’ for the three of us? Is there any reason to?

3) Any reason NOT to consider Brancel Charters?

19 Replies

KenH, January 13, 2019 at 9:56 pm

It is so rare to hear serious complaints about any charter here that I cannot recall ever hearing any. The one year I went with a charter I used the Riverbend Club charter which is very reasonably priced and which did a great job for me. I would say that charters are well worth considering however if you are willing and able to do everything for yourself then I hear that the Register truck option works quite well too, even for people in their seventh decade of life and beyond.

wendy reyes, January 21, 2019 at 12:34 pm

Welcome to RAGBRAI, dont worry about the lottery. It seems everybody gets in, the only people that don’t are those who can’t get their entry in on time.
I’ve never traveled with a charter but have camped by them. If I was to use a charter I think I would go with Pork Belly they always look to be having fun and they seem to have their shit together. Just my 2 cents…

Keith Lippincott, January 21, 2019 at 8:52 pm

Last year was my first year. I found a team that an open slot. We camped at host family sites. I worried about getting selected in the lottery.

I would recommend a charter or a team the first year. It took all of the logistic worries off of my plate.

travis, January 22, 2019 at 10:39 am

I PERSONALLY DON’T THINK THERE IS A “LOTTERY” I THINK IF U REGISTER EARLY BEFORE THEY HIT 10,000 LIMIT MARK U GET IN. I’M ON THE BELIEVE ITS FIRST COME FIRST SERVE TIME OF THING JUST MY THOUGHTS

Viewing 4 replies - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015

RAGBRAI XLII – 2014

RAGBRAI XLI – 2013