Registration is open for RAGBRAI L!

COVID this year?

Got lucky last year but my wife came back with the rona this year—I’m symptomatic but testing negative still. Who else got COVID on the ride this year?

53 Replies

Bill Richards, August 3, 2022 at 11:37 am

Got home Saturday night with a bad cough and sore throat. My wife wouldn’t let me in the house until I tested. Sure enough it was a positive test. Still have the cough, chills and body aches.

Catherine Ruosch, August 3, 2022 at 11:54 am

My husband and I are in our 70’s and rode the whole week. Husband tested positive Monday morning after the ride and I tested positive on Tuesday. One out of the 2 people who picked us up in Lansing has it too. We are all on antiviral Paxlovid and have mild symptoms.

Amanda, August 3, 2022 at 1:12 pm

I did not get COVID this year, but I did last year. The only one of my team of 60!

bfig, August 4, 2022 at 7:27 am

3 out of our 4 person team has come down with covid.

klkoopman, August 4, 2022 at 10:26 am

It would be interesting for the Iowa Department of Public Health to analyze the COVID numbers coming out of the overnight and pass-through towns in the past week. Compare those numbers to towns 10 miles away. If there proves to be a spike, perhaps more precautions should be taken next year.

Joseph Schlau, August 4, 2022 at 6:19 pm

perhaps more precautions should be taken next year.

I am not sure what measures RAGBRAI could take. It really comes down to individual responsibility on safety measures.

The Covid that was circulating last year was significantly different. Next year we can only keep informed on what is emerging and best practices to avoid it.

trknight, August 4, 2022 at 10:36 pm

There were about 60 in my group and two left because of Covid after Thursday. Me, I had mild symptoms that were not totally congruous with Covid starting Monday night after the ride. Started a 1,000 mile drive on Tuesday, tested along the way to be sure and was positive. Had my doctor send a prescription for Paxlovid to a pharmacy in Rapid City to pick up when I passed through. Driving a long way with Covid kicked my butt but appear to be recovering decently now. Not sure how many more in our group came down with it after the ride… I suspect some…

thomas2, August 5, 2022 at 11:23 am

On those few occasions when we were in a crowd indoors, most notably on the jam-packed shuttles between the main campground and the downtown festivities, I was the only person all week who wore a mask. I felt self-conscious. I wondered if I wasn’t being a Covid hysteric. Well, I got Covid. The start of my symptoms and the positive test were on Sunday night. From this forum, I see that I was not alone in getting Covid. RAGBRAI has its “Ride Right” campaign to avoid crashes on the ride. It should have similar campaign about Covid to avoid sickness from the ride.

Derek Eilderts, August 5, 2022 at 1:42 pm

Thomas – I’m not sure what you expect RAGBRAI to do. They could force us to wear ineffective masks, get ineffective vaccines, or ineffective boosters but that would just make everyone mad.

Ben There, August 5, 2022 at 3:48 pm

First, I hope all that have Covid keep hydrated and recover quickly.
A few dozen people coming here to report covid amongst 20 – 30,000 participants is purely anecdotal. It is entirely possible that those same people could have gotten Covid had they stayed home. The waiver all registered riders signed had something in there like “stay home if you have Covid within xx days…”. I think that is as far as Ragbrai should go. People can review all the available info on the virus and either decide to go ride or to stay home. Rider passes were re-selling at face value within days of the start of the ride, so easy to unload them if you want out.

dddlev, August 5, 2022 at 4:49 pm

Our group of five riders (all vaxxed and boosted) included 3 who had experienced Covid in the month prior to RAGBRAI. The two others tested positive Sunday after the last day of riding.

Before the event, my wife and I laughed at the absence of any mention of Covid on the RAGBRAI website. This was most certainly a super spreader event, but anyone who doubted it would be had to have their head in the sand.

NiaHartman, August 5, 2022 at 8:04 pm

My husbands and my first RAGBRAI. We both got Covid. It would have been great if the first aid people advertised if they had tests. I didn’t even think to ask them. Shops were closed in many towns and we were not prepared for three days of absolutely no internet or cell service. I should have tested before visiting family in Chicago. Probably got them all sick. They cancelled all their plans and are quarantining and testing. I appreciate those who wore masks. I should have done the same while not riding. I guess I was overwhelmed with all the gear planning. I even forgot the two tests I was planning on bringing. Sorry to all those who got Covid from the butterfly lady. Our ride to Chicago also tested positive. This was a superspreader. For the person who said only 20 of 20,000 is not a big number, I doubt you are capturing the whole number in this forum thread.

PinionGear, August 5, 2022 at 8:23 pm

Add me to the list that got Covid on Ragbrai this year. Symptoms started the Sunday after the ride. Body aches, cough, congestion, fever. Thought my body was just wrecked from the week long ride but test confirmed COVID on Monday. I’m vax’ed + boosted but still got pretty sick. Lasted about 4 days.

I’d imagine all of those shuttle buses at the end of the ride back to Sergeant Bluff were pretty much petri dishes. Probably less than 1% of the total riders actually post to this forum. Ragbrai this year was a super spreader event for sure. Sadly, this is just the way it will be from now on. Get your shots to help keep the symptoms mild and people out of the hospital.

Annie Moeckler, August 5, 2022 at 10:25 pm

Oh definitely got it this year! Tested positive on the Monday after the ride. Just finally feeling better on Friday night. #superspreader but worth it

Joseph Schlau, August 6, 2022 at 7:54 am

Sorry to all those who got Covid from the butterfly lady

What about the butterfly lady?

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 53 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI