COVID

Do I dare ask if anyone contracted Covid? I did.

16 Replies

Brian Reff, August 5, 2021 at 3:52 pm

Interesting!
Feel better soon!
I hope that RAGBRAI 2021 is not deemed a Super Spreader Event.

LawnchairMan, August 5, 2021 at 5:31 pm

Hi Amanda,
I second Brian’s hope that you get well soon.
Can you give any details: when, where you got it? Any guess?
I hope you were vaccinated and don’t have a severe attack.

This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by LawnchairMan.

Amanda, August 5, 2021 at 5:53 pm

Not sure where I would’ve picked it up. Yes, I was vaccinated in March. I was feeling quite confident that I wouldn’t get Covid. But apparently that Covid bug decided to get me anyway. It’s kicking my butt but nothing too severe. Just mainly tired, terrible cough and achy.

RustyC, August 5, 2021 at 6:12 pm

Get well soon Amanda.

I had allergy like symptoms and a slight cough on my return trip home. I was urged to get tested and it turned up negative.

T. Gap Woo, August 5, 2021 at 8:10 pm

How dare a lowly, less-than-unworthy virus attack the exalted Princess Amanda, Ruler over all of Ragbrai! Covid, be gone, you nasty brute. You are hereby banished!

In all seriousness, Amanda, I wish you a speedy recovery and a return to your rightful place on a bicycle.

See you along the I-O-Way next year.

Robert, August 6, 2021 at 2:52 pm

I was careful all week: only eating outside, wearing a mask whenever I went indoors and when walking my bike through the crowded parts of pass-through and meeting towns. I saw only a few other RAGBRAI riders doing the same.

My biggest concern was the Bed and Breakfast that I had reserved in Le Mars. The host family was unvaccinated and did not wear masks, which I only found out after checking in. So I left and got one of the last hotel rooms in Sioux City.

I had a slight sore throat and some congestion most of the week. I got tested for COVID this week and the test came back negative. I am relieved. My conclusion is that out-door activity is pretty safe, especially if you keep moving and don’t stand in a large crowd for long.

KenH, August 9, 2021 at 8:52 am

I do not know if I contracted covid during the week. If I did then the symptoms were too mild for me to know that I had anything. Now I was out yesterday scrubbing down the roof of my motorhome and I did feel that I did not have my normal endurance and had to take frequent breaks. But it was quite warm and I was trying to scrub off two years of accumlated gunk. I feel fine today. I did RAGBRAI this year as I normally do, with reckless abandon. I am vaccinated but that does not prevent people from getting covid. It does make severe illness much less likely if they do contract it. The efficacy was touteted as being 95% but that may vary with individuals and the efficacy declines about 3% a month according to what I read just yesterday. I got my final shot at the beginnng of April so I could be down around the 80% level right now based on the standard numbers.

“Bicycle Bill”, August 9, 2021 at 10:02 am

Take good care of yourself, Amanda.  I’ve already lost the woman who I would have been happy to call my Queen to COVID back at the beginning of last December, and it tore the hell out of me.  I don’t know what I’d do if I also lost my Princess.
-“BB”-

igor, August 9, 2021 at 2:06 pm

Sorry to hear you got ill Amanda. Get well and I hope you’re on your way to a full recovery!

Bicycle Bill so sorry. My heartfelt condolences to you!

Amanda, August 10, 2021 at 9:12 am

I am feeling better! Thanks for all the get well comments. The worst part of this whole COVID thing: The royal family added a prince. Our first grandson was born on August 7th and I can’t hold or see him yet. SO sad. But soon I will hold him. I guess I have waited a long time for this guy a week or two shouldn’t matter. :(

KenH, August 10, 2021 at 3:13 pm

Congratulations and glad to hear that you are recovering!

T. Gap Woo, August 10, 2021 at 9:01 pm

Princess Amanda,

I’m glad to hear you’re feeling better! Once your fully recovered, you’ll be back in the saddle again.

Mrs Woo and I wish you a million Mazel Tovs on the arrival of your grandson. May he be a source of pride and joy as he brings your royal court much happiness!

I hope to see him along the I-O-Way in about 19 years.

Joseph Schlau, August 11, 2021 at 4:25 pm

I do not know if I contracted covid during the week. If I did then the symptoms were too mild for me to know that I had anything. Now I was out yesterday scrubbing down the roof of my motorhome and I did feel that I did not have my normal endurance and had to take frequent breaks.

So Ken,

Did you take a covid test to make sure you were not an asymptotic carrier? The CDC recommended that vaccinated individuals who were exposed to covid should be tested if they are showing even mild symptoms.

This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by Joseph Schlau.

This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by Joseph Schlau.

KenH, August 12, 2021 at 8:43 am

No, I did not get a Covid test because I was doing very heavy work on a very hot day and felt that I did not have my normal endurance! I’m not going to get one today even though I feel a bit tired and achy. I stayed home from work yesterday morning because our power had been out for 12 hours and I needed to get a generator hooked up to power our fridge and to help some neighbors get theirs powered too. As I was doing that I heard a noise and turned to look just in time to see another neighbor’s tree crash into my back yard and take out part of the fence that keeps our dog in the yard. So I took the whole day off and played lumberjack to clean that up yesterday afternoon. If there are other explanations for the way that I feel then I don’t assume that I have Covid.

The only way for us to test our way out of the Covid crisis is to test every person every day and I do not see that happening for many reasons.

“Bicycle Bill”, September 23, 2021 at 8:40 am

Hey Amanda …. hope you shook off that nasty virus.
When do we get to see pics of the new Crown Prince??

-“BB”-

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI