RAGBRAI LI Route Announced on Jan. 27!

cpap

If you use a cpap what is your method of using it on Ragbrai? What cpap do you use and what type of battery pack? Thanks

3 Replies

William Weber, May 8, 2017 at 10:53 am

I use a regular CPAP machine and no battery pack. I use a charter service that provides power for all CPAP users. 3 years ago, I was the only CPAP in the charter. 2 years ago, it was 3 users. Last year, the same charter had 10. One extra bonus of this setup is I have power every night. If it’s too hot, I use my fan. Every morning, my phone is charged.

IaMichael, May 8, 2017 at 5:11 pm

I am a regular CPAP user and have ridden several RAGBRAIs. I took my owner’s manual to my local Batteries Plus store and we worked out how many amps my CPAP used per hour. Then, we found a deep marine battery that would last the whole ride and duct taped a power converter to the top of the battery.

I do NOT use the CPAP’s humidifier during RAGBRAI because it increases the power usage too much.

After RAGBRAI, I put the battery on a trickle charger (purchased when I got the battery) so it will be ready for the next year’s ride. Before each ride, I take the battery back to the store and they run a diagnostic on it to verify its amp-hours capacity hasn’t degraded to the point that a full charge won’t last the whole ride.

Hope this helps!

Brian Wallenburg, May 9, 2017 at 8:55 pm

We’ve had people ask if they can use our electricity/generator to power their CPAP. Have never turned anyone down. I doubt we’re unique.

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XLV – 2017’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI