Crystal Ball

I know no one actually has a crystal ball that tells the future, but what if you did? Will we be able to do RAGBRAI in 2021? Will Iowa’s Ride take place? What is everyone’s opinion? No one really knows and the answers are just opinions based on nothing. No facts allowed. Tell me what your crystal ball says!

6 Replies

T. Gap Woo, August 26, 2020 at 8:24 am

Princess Amanda,

I consulted my Magic 8-ball and the results were inconclusive. It kept saying “maybe” every time I asked the question “Will Ragbrai take place in 2021?”

Then I consulted my equally untrustworthy glass crystal. It was not much better, although it gave some alternatives.

(1) If COVID-19 is still spreading uncontrolled, NO Ragbrai.

(2) If people who recovered from COVID-19 can get reinfected, as has been reported on the news, NO Ragbrai.

(3) If a vaccine is developed in a timely manner and it is safe and effective, Ragbrai will run as planned. BUT there is one condition: riders must show proof that they were vaccinated as part of the registration process. No proof? You can’t ride!

(4) Unvaccinated “bandits” will be a problem, but the crystal was silent on that issue. It will be a real headache for DMR.

See you along the I-O-Way in 2021???

Matt Riddell, August 26, 2020 at 9:52 am

T. Gap Woo, did you forget to consult the OZ wizard? 🙂
I completely see your crystal items 1 and 2 as reality. I doubt vaccination proof will get the wheels rolling unfortunately. I think ultimately it’ll just come down to everything being normalized for the world before this happens (likely after vaccinations and improved treatments exist).
For crystal items 3 and 4, would towns also require vendors and volunteers to show proof of employee vaccines? Would towns ban or segregate the rolling bandit plague? Would roadside vendors only serve wristbands? Would wristband riders browbeat plague bandits into abandoning the ride etc? Sounds like some wild movie synopsis.
Virtual Ride II next year? I think likely.
Good discussion Princess Amanda.

Mike Howe, August 26, 2020 at 11:09 am

I dont see Ragbrai happening as of right now. I do see a lot more smaller rides popping up in its place throughout next summer. I say smaller as in maybe a max of 500 people. Im keeping my fingers crossed Ragbrai happens. Even if Ragbrai does happen next year I think we are still 2 or 3 years away from Ragbrai being what we know and love.

KenH, August 26, 2020 at 3:02 pm

RAGBRAI will happen in 2021!

The chances for Iowa’s Ride seem dimmer now that TJ has left the building. It could still happen.

In other news an alien spacecraft will land in Omaha in about 6 weeks. The science officer will run a write in campaign for US president claiming natural born residency since her home planet is technically part of US airspace once per day. She will win and usher in a new era of peace and prosperity.

One can hope….

Mike Murphy, August 26, 2020 at 5:18 pm

Ragbrai will be a go for 2021. It will be packed as everyone will be so excited to be able to gather together and have fun. I am glad I am pre-registered as I believe it will be a sold out event.

Archy Texas, August 26, 2020 at 9:59 pm

I predict that a house will catch fire in Allendale California on August 4, 2026, Mr. Featherstone’s birthday

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015