Crystal Ball

I know no one actually has a crystal ball that tells the future, but what if you did? Will we be able to do RAGBRAI in 2021? Will Iowa’s Ride take place? What is everyone’s opinion? No one really knows and the answers are just opinions based on nothing. No facts allowed. Tell me what your crystal ball says!

40 Replies

T. Gap Woo, August 26, 2020 at 8:24 am

Princess Amanda,

I consulted my Magic 8-ball and the results were inconclusive. It kept saying “maybe” every time I asked the question “Will Ragbrai take place in 2021?”

Then I consulted my equally untrustworthy glass crystal. It was not much better, although it gave some alternatives.

(1) If COVID-19 is still spreading uncontrolled, NO Ragbrai.

(2) If people who recovered from COVID-19 can get reinfected, as has been reported on the news, NO Ragbrai.

(3) If a vaccine is developed in a timely manner and it is safe and effective, Ragbrai will run as planned. BUT there is one condition: riders must show proof that they were vaccinated as part of the registration process. No proof? You can’t ride!

(4) Unvaccinated “bandits” will be a problem, but the crystal was silent on that issue. It will be a real headache for DMR.

See you along the I-O-Way in 2021???

Matt, August 26, 2020 at 9:52 am

T. Gap Woo, did you forget to consult the OZ wizard? :-)
I completely see your crystal items 1 and 2 as reality. I doubt vaccination proof will get the wheels rolling unfortunately. I think ultimately it’ll just come down to everything being normalized for the world before this happens (likely after vaccinations and improved treatments exist).
For crystal items 3 and 4, would towns also require vendors and volunteers to show proof of employee vaccines? Would towns ban or segregate the rolling bandit plague? Would roadside vendors only serve wristbands? Would wristband riders browbeat plague bandits into abandoning the ride etc? Sounds like some wild movie synopsis.
Virtual Ride II next year? I think likely.
Good discussion Princess Amanda.

Mike Howe, August 26, 2020 at 11:09 am

I dont see Ragbrai happening as of right now. I do see a lot more smaller rides popping up in its place throughout next summer. I say smaller as in maybe a max of 500 people. Im keeping my fingers crossed Ragbrai happens. Even if Ragbrai does happen next year I think we are still 2 or 3 years away from Ragbrai being what we know and love.

KenH, August 26, 2020 at 3:02 pm

RAGBRAI will happen in 2021!

The chances for Iowa’s Ride seem dimmer now that TJ has left the building. It could still happen.

In other news an alien spacecraft will land in Omaha in about 6 weeks. The science officer will run a write in campaign for US president claiming natural born residency since her home planet is technically part of US airspace once per day. She will win and usher in a new era of peace and prosperity.

One can hope….

Mike Murphy, August 26, 2020 at 5:18 pm

Ragbrai will be a go for 2021. It will be packed as everyone will be so excited to be able to gather together and have fun. I am glad I am pre-registered as I believe it will be a sold out event.

Archy Texas, August 26, 2020 at 9:59 pm

I predict that a house will catch fire in Allendale California on August 4, 2026, Mr. Featherstone’s birthday

Steve Hexom, October 25, 2020 at 3:38 pm

First off,I have not missed a day of RAGBRAI since 1979. I remember all the absolutely certainty that the virus would all be over by early summer and RAGBRAI would go on as it has over all the years. I have a daughter planning on getting married in Chicago in June of 2021. It is scheduled as a large event of 200 guests, live band, dinner, and more. It is at best doubtful. That is a small event compared to RAGBRAI with 10’s of thousands of riders from all over the world. It is an event that requires great planning, preparation and lead time and as the virus surges through Iowa, It is very hard for me to believe with any confidence that the event we have known and loved over all the years can go on in 2021. It might but so far the cards do not look good for that happening. That said, I can not predict with any certainty any event going on next year. My very best guess? It might but probably not…at least not the event we have known and loved but rather a very controlled event with limited numbers and severe restrictions. I remember the t-shirts that were out when I started that said. “I survived RAGBRAI” If by some miracle it happens, I see that may be the shirt of next year. So many wheels have to be in motion early for this event and I simply do not see that happening. At the same time, I am very confident that 2022 will happen.

Jboz, October 25, 2020 at 9:48 pm

I just consulted my mystical sources…for realz. It’s ON!

SFC JKL 2, October 30, 2020 at 12:32 am

I think Iowa’s ride will go off in some fashion as long as Ragbrai is a go. I think Ragbrai will be a go because biker’s and pass thru towns will be demanding it by then. Either way, I’m sure I’ll be biking around some part of Iowa that week just like we did this year. But first, BRR registration opens Oct 31.

qlvbatdongsan batdongsan, November 25, 2020 at 10:41 pm

I dont see Ragbrai happening as of right now. I do see a lot more smaller rides popping up in its place throughout next summer. I say smaller as in maybe a max of 500 people. Im keeping my fingers crossed Ragbrai happens. Even if Ragbrai does happen next year I think we are still 2 or 3 years away from Ragbrai being what we know and love.

Mike Murphy, November 26, 2020 at 10:20 pm

If what I heard that they will make a decision by March 15th, my quess is that it will not happen. I understand why they have to decide by then I just don’t see the numbers being good enough by then. I hope I am wrong I really don’t want to go two years in a row without Ragbrai. Last year myself and a few friend did what we called No Ragbrai No Problem, I have already planned out No Ragbrai No Problem II however I hope I have to cancel it. Eventhough we had a great time last summer nothing compares to a week of Ragbrai.

KenH, November 29, 2020 at 8:58 pm

The vaccine news has been all good lately. It won’t be in full deployment by March 15 (if that really is the decision date) but I think by then it will be clear whether the vaccine will be fully online in time or not. I am still thinking RAGBRAI will roll next year.

Mike Howe, November 30, 2020 at 10:53 am

Where is this March 15th date coming from? “If what I heard” isn’t a reliable source to me.

KenH, November 30, 2020 at 3:20 pm

I didn’t go looking for the drop dead date, but it can be found in a link in the Makquoketa thread. That takes you to the minutes of a recent DeWitt city council meeting and it is long so skip down to the second paragraph from the end. Also in the Makquoketa thread is a link to an announcement that DeWitt will be its replacement but I have not read that yet.

Mike Howe, November 30, 2020 at 9:05 pm

Thanks for the info. I see where it says March 15th. I also see where they call it “this years race”. Which 1) it’s not a race and 2) There’s one month left in the year, so I doubt it’s held this year but hopefully it’s held in 2021 or next year.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI