Crystal Ball

I know no one actually has a crystal ball that tells the future, but what if you did? Will we be able to do RAGBRAI in 2021? Will Iowa’s Ride take place? What is everyone’s opinion? No one really knows and the answers are just opinions based on nothing. No facts allowed. Tell me what your crystal ball says!

37 Replies

Mike Murphy, December 2, 2020 at 5:12 pm

I don’t have an inside source for the March 15th date. I read it in the article about naming the replacement overnight town. It makes sense to me that they will have to make a decision around that time to enable all the towns to do the proper planning needed to host in July. I hope it happpens but I will understand if it does not.

KenH, December 3, 2020 at 1:48 pm

I heard a report on the local news last night that we are expected to reach herd immunity in the US by May of next year as the result of the vaccines. Another said that upwards of a third of us could be vaccinated by January. Both are speculative of course but the signs are looking good right now.

Papa T, December 3, 2020 at 2:35 pm

As you all know, Papa T has Balls (big balls) it turns out there will not only be a Ragbrai and an Iowa Ride (awkward name)(I personally vote for “Bragrai”) next year It will be the most attended of ALL TIME!!! THE MAN will try to limit attendance, but There will be bandits EVERYWHERE! Papa will be there with “Hills Angels” kickin ass and takin names, “Brewhaha” is now just a fond memory (play floppy music) Did I mention I cannot wait??????

Amanda, December 3, 2020 at 8:00 pm

What Team Brewhaha is no more? Or did you just switch to another team?

Jboz, December 4, 2020 at 2:24 pm

Contraction and transmission rate is spiky, while death rates of those contracting the virus continue to fall sharply. More people are getting this, but fewer are dying from it. The vast majority experience mild symptoms. Any virologist can look at the numbers and tell you we are fast approaching herd immunity as we speak, vaccine or no vaccine. The advent of rapid testing is making it getting easier and easier to protect the most vulnerable. Vaccines and advancements in therapeutics help a great deal and make it even easier. Those who are least vulnerable are developing antibodies. And with any virus, some people’s physiology makes them naturally immune. We are getting there folks. Take normal precautions of course, and take zinc, vitamin D3, Vitamin C (preferably with Quercetin). Use discernment with what you read. The media is selling clicks and views…gloom and doom sells, always has. One year ago, nobody had even heard of this thing…we have come a LONG way in 10 short months. Despite the naysayers, germaphobes and chronic worriers, RAGBRAI will be a GO for 2021!

“Bicycle Bill”, December 4, 2020 at 7:32 pm

Contraction and transmission rate is spiky, while death rates of those contracting the virus continue to fall sharply. More people are getting this, but fewer are dying from it.

JBoz, I wish I could believe that. However, when you get news like I got yesterday, you realize that if only

one

person dies and that one person is/was significant to you … the rest of the numbers don’t matter.
-“BB”-

Larry Klaaren, December 5, 2020 at 10:21 am

“you realize that if only

one
person dies and that one person is/was significant to you … the rest of the numbers don’t matter.”

I had an online denier inform me that my Dad did not die of COVID last month, he died “with COVID” because he was a heart patient. What an idiot! He would still be alive if he had not contracted COVID. He’s dead, and he would not be if he had not contracted COVID. Not a hard concept to get ahold of.
Now my daughter has it. She has a heart condition, so this is not fun. She just turned 25 and is engaged. If people would just do what they can to possibly stop the spread, it would be a better world. Even if you don’t believe it, do it for the sake of people who have lost a lot.

This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by Larry Klaaren.

“Bicycle Bill”, December 5, 2020 at 11:35 am

Sorry to hear about your dad, Larry, and the best of luck to your daughter. At least (hopefully) she has some of the benefits of youth and resilience working in her favor.

And take care of yourself, too.
-“BB”-

Papa T, December 5, 2020 at 12:14 pm

amanda,
Last yean Frodo (who owns the Brewhaha Bus) said no go. This year he’s sayn maybe. Brewhaha is over for me in any case cuz I have signed on with “Hills angeles” I’ll see you in Le Mars next July. DIMICNW?

Amanda, December 6, 2020 at 4:56 pm

Planning on it!

LawnchairMan, December 7, 2020 at 2:35 pm

I also believe that Ragbrai will go again in 2021. I have already booked a hotel for my trip to get there.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-02948-4

But after reading the above article, I don’t believe that we are approaching herd immunity.
Younger stronger victims and better treatments do not equate to herd immunity.
While it is true that Covid related deaths are declining per person infected, the infection rate is so high now that the daily death rates are still climbing. Hospital beds are near capacity and super spreader events like Christmas and New Years’ are still coming. We are not out of the woods yet. Hopefully, the new vaccines will be successful. Vaccines are the only effective way to reach herd immunity without a tremendous loss of life.

The final decision for me to go to Ragbrai will rest on the effectiveness of the vaccines. I expect vaccines to be widely available sometime in the Spring. Then there will be a few months to see what it does. If the rates of infection and death are way low by the end of June, then I will be there.

Something that is not mentioned in the article that really scares me is the long-haulers. The people who survive Covid, but never seem to fully recover. A friend of mine got Covid in February and still has trouble walking short distances. He also says he can’t concentrate as well as he used to. I’m not sure if he will ever fully recover. We count all the deaths involved with Covid-19, but what is the true number of Covid casualties?

Sorry to be a “chronic worrier”, but if you recall last Spring I said that I had a gut feeling this would get really bad. I just didn’t know how bad it would be. As far as Ragbrai 2021, though, I think it will be a go, but with due safety precautions. In spite of my worries, I’m looking forward to it!

This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by LawnchairMan.

Papa T, December 9, 2020 at 1:35 pm

Lawnchair Man You worry tooooo much. Just get on your
bike and RIDE!!!!

mootsman, December 10, 2020 at 8:05 am

I think we will have RAGBRAI 2021. They may require a test first to be officially registered. And biological passports may be in our future saying if we either already had COVID or had the vaccine.

One thing to think about a vaccine, my doc said RNA vaccines have a link to autoimmune diseases about 2-3 years after you take them. If that is true of all RNA vaccines I don’t think its proven yet. The AstraZeneca vaccine is not an RNA vaccine, the other 2 are. If I get a vaccine it would be the one from AZ.

Either way, RAGBRAI is a go. I did get H1N1 on RAGBRAI in 2011, had to go home early as the combo of a fever and heat indexes in the 110s were too much. But since there was a mini outbreak of riders on our team bus, we likely caught it there on the way to RAGBRAI, not on RAGBRAI itself.

Jose Medina, December 10, 2020 at 9:31 am

My wife and I stayed at Kings Pointe in Storm Lake on which would have been day one on Ragbrai 2020. We enjoyed watching riders ride in on their own. There were busses and trailers out in the parking lot. Someone had a trailer with a built in bar that was serving refreshments. There was a small crowd and we toasted to Ragbrai 2020 and 2021. So, we already have a start on Ragbrai 2021. It has already started. This will be 31 years for me and I met my wife on Ragbrai. Yes , there will be a Ragbrai 2021 !!

LawnchairMan, December 10, 2020 at 9:41 am

Papa T,

I’m just saying that now is not the time to let down our guard.
Yes, I worry.
When more Americans die in a day than on 9/11?
Or at Pearl Harbor?
If that’s worrying too much, then you must be right: I worry too much.
You tell me how much is the correct amount.

This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by LawnchairMan.

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015