RAGBRAI XLIX registration is now open!

Cyclemeter

This is our first RAGBRAI. I was curious if when they publish the route details, will it be available for download into Cyclemeter?

8 Replies

Michrider !!!, February 25, 2015 at 2:45 pm

TJ said the route will be out sometime in March!!!

KenH, February 26, 2015 at 12:44 pm

From the RAGBRAI web site pull down “The Ride” tab and sift through the options under “Route”. All the information that is typically available about the route will be there for 2014’s route. If your app can work with/import any of that data then you are good to go. The information you want will come out in a month or two or three. If you don’t see the information your app needs then I don’t know where you could get it.

Of course you can just do what most of us do: follow the crowd! I haven’t a clue how the early birds find the turns but once a few thousand of us have followed a particular route, right or wrong, the rest of us will follow….

KenH, February 26, 2015 at 12:56 pm

On second thought the only place you are likely to find the types of files you need is on the GeoBike site. If you go there, try downloading files for one of the previous rides, I assume that at least one of the available file formats will work with your app. Once you know that you can get the files you need you just have to be patient. A saintly volunteer produces these for us and you can expect it to take a few weeks after the full route is announced for the files to come out. As with any volunteer effort there is always the chance that the service will come to an end, but most likely you will get some files a few weeks after the full route announcement.

beaglebaby, February 27, 2015 at 1:46 pm

Thanks Ken, just what I was looking for. not real worried about getting lost, like the physiological effect of how far I went and how far do I have to go.

jeffreydennis, February 27, 2015 at 3:11 pm

Maps, we don’t need no stinking maps. If there is an ass in front of me and a head behind me I’m headed in the right direction.

Michrider !!!, February 28, 2015 at 6:13 am

jeffreydennis: Maps, we don’t need no stinking maps. If there is an ass in front of me and a head behind me I’m headed in the right direction.

JD, I agree. I like to follow the best looking butts and see where they take me!!!!!null

KenH, March 1, 2015 at 4:07 pm

Not sure I would want to follow those two, no matter how alluring they may be! They seem to be off the route, without bikes, and either much too late or too early in the season to be good RAGBRAI route guides. But some people are saying the second Sunday in March is the traditional date to release the full route so maybe next Sunday we will find out if these two are anywhere near the route!

KenH, March 1, 2015 at 4:20 pm

Oh, and I would take the official and GeoBike mileage estimates with a grain of salt. They are reasonable estimates but even though they may be exact distances from some point on the route in one overnight town to some point on the route in the next town they do not account for how far you have to ride at each end to get from your campground to the route, then along the route, and then to the next campground. Even that ignores any side trips you may make. Depending on the day that can be a big or small deal. Two years ago I was riding the “century” day which was officially 107 miles as I recall. It was quite hot that day and when my odo rolled over 107 miles there was no end town in sight, not even sure the final big turn to the north was in sight. Mile after mile clicked by and I wasn’t in the final town square until 112 miles. And then I had another mile or two to the campground. Normally these small discrepancies don’t matter but I never hated five miles as much as I hated those five miles that day!

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI