Cycling Jersey Cleaning

I have several jerseys that have stains in them that won’t come out. I believe its caused by the sun screen mixed with sweat that causes this. As you all know, these jersey’s can be quite expensive, 40$- 120$, so I would like to wear again but I won’t wear something that looks dirty even though I know its clean unless I just have too. This happened to my umpire jerseys also. Any cleaning ideas to get these stains out. I’ve tried Resolve, a carpet stain remover, and some other chemicals but no luck. Hate to let these things just set in the closet when I can hear them at night calling out to me saying “wear me tomorrow please, wear me”.

8 Replies

Ted Farnham, July 13, 2016 at 10:45 am

I have had the same thing happen to my white jerseys. I have had success with a product called Lemi Shine. It is citric acid, from lemons. I put 3 or 4 tablespoons in a gallon bucket, fill with warm water and drop the jerseys in and let them soak for a couple of hours. I find Lemi Shine at Walmart, but i bet you can find it at many grocery stores as well.

You can try other acids, like vinegar or lime away (be careful with lime away it is hydrocloric acid and will damage any metal if you leave it in too long so try a much shorter time). I prefer the Lemi Shine because it is not as aggressive as the lime away.

The iron in your wash water reacts with a chemical in sunscreen to basically form a “rust” so you are using an acid to remove the rust.

GetAClue Blue, July 13, 2016 at 12:20 pm

Thx for the info. I’ll definitely try it. Do you know if there are certain sunscreens that cause it more than others?

GORDON BROWN, July 13, 2016 at 4:15 pm

Great info. We have the same problem with our river racing synthetic shirts. You get two-three days of sun screen and sweat and river water and then your nice white shirt is a funky orangy/yellow/brown around the neck and underarms.

I’ll look for some of that stuff to try.

d.c.v., July 17, 2016 at 10:07 pm

We have well water with a lot of iron. While I’ve not found anything to remove discoloration on existing clothing (jerseys and light colored socks), we are now pre-soaking our jerseys. We use water from our 5gal water cooler for cooking and drinking. We will place about a quart of this water with a small amount of laundry detergent in a small bucket and hand agitate for a few minutes. We’ll let this sit for a couple of hours and then wash normally. Since we’ve been doing this, no jerseys have been stained.

GetAClue Blue, July 19, 2016 at 3:36 pm

Thx for all the help. The LemiShine did the trick. Good stuff!

GetAClue Blue, July 19, 2016 at 3:37 pm

Look for me on the ride. I’ll be wearing the bright, white jersey. lol

toadhead, July 19, 2016 at 10:00 pm

How about chain lube and grease????

Michrider !!!, July 20, 2016 at 6:00 am

toadhead: How about chain lube and grease????

Yeah Toady, I use chain lube on my chain, not my jersey,LOL!!!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015