Join Us in July - Register Today!

Cyclists hit by cars

Cedar Rapids police said an arrest warrant has been issued for the driver of a pickup truck in a deadly collision with a bicyclist during the summer.

Police charged Robert Fleming with failure to yield and no insurance in the July 29 crash that killed Susan DeSotel, of Cedar Rapids.

Two addresses are listed for Fleming in the police report, in Cedar Rapids and Alburnett, but police have not been able to find him.
Sgt. Mike Wallerstedt said police don’t know if he left town.

31 Replies

pmac, December 14, 2010 at 11:22 am

The latest on the wayward wealth manager from Vail.  According to his no doubt very well paid expert witness, “new car smell” and sleep apena were the culprits, (as opposed to the much more realistic gross criminal negligence and wilffully leaving the scene of an accident) even though he plowed through the biking doc just a short distance from his house.  You can’t make this stuff up.  The hearing on the 16th should be interesting.

http://www.vaildaily.com/article/20101213/NEWS/101219942/1078&ParentProfile=1062

“Bicycle Bill”, December 14, 2010 at 11:46 am

Kudos to the cycling community in Colorado who are keeping us informed on this matter and continue to hold Erzinger’s feet to the fire.

Now they need to do something about that bone-headed DA (Hurlbert).  When’s the next election cycle out that way?

-“BB”-

ts, December 14, 2010 at 2:14 pm

pmac said: The hearing on the 16th should be interesting.

Anyone planning to attend?  I wish I could, but I’d have to take the whole day off from work and I really don’t have the vacation time to burn.  I’m really curious, though, to see how this “new car smell” defense plays out.

ts, December 21, 2010 at 12:59 am

This case is starting to get a lot of attention.  Even Rob Roll has an opinion on this one, among others:

“Bicycle Bill”, January 6, 2011 at 1:58 pm

It’s not just in America.  Dateline Singapore:

Woman in Lexus hits cyclist, drags bicycle for 2 km thinking it was a tree branch

The best part is where she credits the Lexus’ soundproofing for being so good that she doesn’t realize she’s dragging a bicycle underneath her car.

-“BB”-

jwsknk, January 10, 2011 at 11:34 am

North Liberty, IA
January 4th 2011 at 8:35 am

Authorities said a bicyclist was hurt when he was struck by a car early Tuesday in North Liberty.

Timothy Green, 56, of Coralville, was riding his bike north on the shoulder of Highway 965 around 6 a.m. when he was struck by a car driven by Karen Huntley, 58, of North Liberty, police said. Authorities said Huntley stopped at a stop sign and was turning onto the highway from Lions Drive, but didn’t see Green.

North Liberty Police Chief Jim Warkentin said Green had lights on his bicycle.

“There’s usually a street light there, but because of the construction, it’s not there anymore,” Warkentin said. “Since they’ve been redoing the road, some of those intersections have not had lights put back up yet.”

Green was taken by ambulance to the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City with injuries that weren’t considered life threatening, police said.

Highway 965 was closed in both directions for a short time while police investigated.

Charges are pending in the accident, police said.

ts, January 10, 2011 at 2:41 pm

“Bicycle Bill” said: It’s not just in America.  Dateline Singapore:

Woman in Lexus hits cyclist, drags bicycle for 2 km thinking it was a tree branch

The best part is where she credits the Lexus’ soundproofing for being so good that she doesn’t realize she’s dragging a bicycle underneath her car.

Also the part where hitting a cyclist with your car is apparently considered “inconsiderate driving”.  I’d hate to see what passes for rude driving.

crazikate, January 30, 2011 at 9:46 pm

This woman was a neighbor, mother of four, a tri-athlete and beloved veterinarian…

Scottsdale cyclist’s death shows problems with law

The garbage truck that plowed into Cindie Holub left her body a broken mess.

The bicyclist lay near the intersection of Dynamite Boulevard and
Alma School Road in north Scottsdale, spine broken in three spots, nine
broken ribs, a broken shoulder blade, collar bone and pelvis among her
injuries.

Still trying to process what happened moments after the Feb. 24
crash, she asked a passerby to call her husband, Brian Holub, in
Massachusetts

Cindie Holub, 52, was riding a bicycle and had been hit by a Waste
Management garbage truck. She was airlifted to Scottsdale Healthcare
Osborn Medical Center, where she died four days later.

ts, January 31, 2011 at 12:22 am

crazikate said: This woman was a neighbor, mother of four, a tri-athlete and beloved veterinarian…

How sad.  My sincere condolences to all of her friends and family.

I read the whole story and found this statement, which is incredible to me:

“Scottsdale police cited the driver of the truck, Fernando Jimenez, 50,
for not leaving a safe distance of at least 3 feet between the vehicle
and a bicycle when passing. The civil fine is up to $1,000 when a death
is involved.”

“…up to $1,000 when a death is involved”?  What good is it to have these bicycle safety laws if they don’t mean anything?

Davy Sprocket, January 31, 2011 at 5:24 am

That is horrible!  It sure doesn’t place much value on the human life does it?

Zinger, January 31, 2011 at 8:11 am

It’s not just cyclists that have to watch out either. I was running yesterday and nearly got sideswiped by an old guy driving a duel wheeled truck with a handicapped sticker. I ran on the streets because the sidewalks were icy and snow covered. Since I was wearing a bright red sweatshirt, I have a hard time believing he couldn’t see me. People need to be present when they are driving!!

helenheart, January 31, 2011 at 10:33 am

up to $1000? maybe not even $1000.

This sickens me more than I can say.

jwsknk, February 2, 2011 at 4:28 pm

from Bikeiowa:
Sioux City, IA
Feb 01, 2010

Police identify bicyclist hit by pickup

Police have released the name of a man who was hit by a pickup truck Monday while riding his bicycle on Sioux City’s north side.

The accident happened at 8:12 a.m. in the 3100 block of Floyd Boulevard.

Sioux City Police Lt. Mark Kirkpatrick said Tuesday that Thomas Vanderwoude, 65, of Sioux City, was riding his bicycle northbound on Floyd Boulevard when the right side mirror of a 1994 Ford Ranger, which was also northbound, clipped Vanderwoude and knocked him to the ground. The pickup was being driven by Austin Nielsen, 18, of Sioux City.

When officers arrived at the scene, Vanderwoude was unconscious, according to Kirkpatrick. Vanderwoude regained consciousness a short time later and was taken to Mercy Medical Center by ambulance.

A hospital spokeswoman said Tuesday that Vanderwoude is hospitalized in fair condition.

No traffic citations were issued, according to Kirkpatrick.

ts, February 3, 2011 at 4:30 pm

jwsknk said: No traffic citations were issued, according to Kirkpatrick.

Maybe they should just declare open season on us and sell tags.

jwsknk, March 18, 2011 at 7:55 am

From the Register March 18th

A bicyclist was struck by a car and killed Wednesday evening along a southeast Iowa highway, authorities said.

David Garrels, 58, of Wever was riding southbound on U.S. Highway 61 near the Skunk River in southern Des Moines County just before 6 p.m. when a car struck him from behind, the sheriff’s office said in a news release. Garrels was pronounced dead at the scene.

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters