RAGBRAI LI Route Announced on Jan. 27!

Cyclone Loop

for all you loopy riders, Ames added a loop, INSIDE Jack Trice Stadium. You can do a lap around the field inside the stadium. You can do one around the outside too if you want I suppose. And here is who Jack Trice was. http://www.public.iastate.edu/~isu150/history/trice.html and https://www.sbnation.com/longform/2014/11/25/7275681/jack-trice-iowa-state-football-profile the statue of him is located outside the North east corner of the stadium.

5 Replies

KenH, June 6, 2018 at 10:01 pm

Cool!

Is there a patch?

I remember taking a very bumpy loop around the dirt track speedway in Knoxville in 2013. Good times….

jwsknk, June 7, 2018 at 10:43 am

they say no patch, but there will be a sticker.

Dueywife, June 7, 2018 at 11:04 am

Ah yes, the Knoxville speedway. That is one of my all time RAGBRAI highlights!

It’s so cool that they’re opening up the stadium and track for riders. I will definitely add this to my list.

“Bicycle Bill”, June 7, 2018 at 11:27 am

I think it was back in 1985 (RAGBRAI XIII) that we passed through Cedar Falls enroute to the overnight in Waterloo, riding right past the UNIdome (which at that time had an air-supported fabric roof; a smaller sibling of the Metrodome in downtown Minneapolis), and were given the option of riding into the dome and doing a lap of the track surrounding the football field area inside.  Riders who did so were given a certificate, suitable for framing, as a memento.

-“BB”-

CyclingCyclone, June 7, 2018 at 1:01 pm

You’re right, BB. I remember it well, taking laps inside the dome, and got a t-Shirt “Tour de Dome”.
We camped at Washington Park I believe, and the at the time the wildest thing happened to our group. A few people from Domino’s Pizza showed up to the park, and asked if we wanted to order a pizza, and have it delivered to our campsite. My buddies, and I ordered a pizza, and cokes. The Domino’s guy is carrying a bag, reaches in and pulls out a phone, calls the order in right there. 1985 cell phone technology. 30 minutes or so later we got our pie delivered right to us. Good times.

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters