The Register's Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa

Da-Brim

Last year I saw quite a few people with the Da-Brim attachments to their helmets. Since my lips and nose are very sensitive to sun and I can’t keep enough sun-screen on I thought this would be the perfect solution for my face. Needless to say for the life of me I can’t get mine to stay on my helmet. Any suggestion on how I can secure the Da-Brim onto my helmet without it slipping off?

14 Replies

KenH, April 12, 2016 at 1:16 pm

Da-what? I was hoping for something whimsically entertaining, not a product design discussion!

RAGBRAI is all about helping your neighbor however so I’ll give it a shot. If, like me, your first reaction was da-what, you can see the product here:

http://www.dabrim.com/default.htm

First off I would find an old, retired helmet to practice on. The final solution MUST NOT permanently alter the helmet in a way that would compromise its primary function. But getting to that point could potentially be hard on the helmet so if you have an old one that you still consider safe to ride you might want to do your experiments on that.

My first reaction is to find some Velcro strips with industrial strength adhesive. Put one half on the helmet using its own adhesive. This should be fairly safe but be advised that ANYTHING you do to the helmet to firmly attach Da-Brim could potentially compromise its protection level under some impact conditions. Of course dying of skin cancer is no one’s goal either…. I doubt that the other half will stick to Da-Brim well enough to last a day, let alone a week, in the saddle so I think the mating half would have to be sewn to Da-Brim. Given that you might want to find some Velcro without adhesive too since this whole idea might not work in the long run and you don’t want Da-Brim all gummed up with failed adhesive.

On the other hand I think this idea could work and it is the best I can come up with on short notice so I will stop now and leave the floor open for the next person in this brainstorming session.

Low Rider, April 12, 2016 at 6:19 pm

I used one last year. It did a great job, it was the first time I did not have a sunburned face during RAGBRAI. I did supplement the sun protection with zinc oxide on the nose.

As for the DaBrim, I just followed the installation instructions. How is it slipping off, over the top or sliding down around your neck? Can you post a photo of your helmet before putting on the DaBrim? A photo of the helmet with DaBrim might work as well but it could be hard to see how it is attaching under the fabric.

Sandaltan ., April 12, 2016 at 8:26 pm

I know several people who use DaBrim without a problem. Take another look at the installation instructions and see if you missed something, maybe have a buddy look at your install. The Little Stoker (my wife) rode 1200 miles wearing her DaBrim on our last great adventure. She says it was great for sun protection and had no problems with it slipping.

RIDE RIGHT

Sue DiPiano, April 13, 2016 at 12:04 pm

Thanks for your input. It’s been extremely windy here near St. Louis, so I imagine I just need to make sure all of the straps are extremely tight. I’ve even watched a You-tube video about Da-Brim. I’ll re-install it and see what happens.

KenH, April 14, 2016 at 8:35 am

From looking at their videos it is hard to see how these things could possibly stay in place in the wind! If careful study of the installation videos does not help then it could be that their “one size fits most” product is just not compatible with your particular helmet. You might query the folks here who have success with Da-Brim to see what brand and model helmets they wear and then buy the same helmet that others report success with.

Sue DiPiano, April 14, 2016 at 11:08 am

Thanks Ken

Tom Young, April 14, 2016 at 12:00 pm

I have used the DABrim full hat and just the Visor. My wife and I both use the visor. This has survived several Ragbrai rides, and several Mountain descents in Western Montana, not to mention day to day local rides. It has never come loose or blown off. It has aleays stayed securely attached. They have been attached to a Giro helmet, POC, Specialized and Bell helmets without a problem. It is helpful to have a gap between the helmet and the visor to allow for air to flow through this area at speed. My helmet and head are large and my wife’s is small. I’d do as recommended and review the installation instructions. Worse case scenario would be to go to the local bike shop where they are sold and ask for help. Good luck!

Michrider !!!, April 14, 2016 at 2:54 pm

I won’t be there this year. My left knee revision is scheduled for Tuesday, April 19, 2016. However, if I was in Iowa, I’d be more concerned with Da Beer!!!
Sorry, I had to say that, LOL!!!! BTW, RAGBRAI don’t care!!!!

Low Rider, April 14, 2016 at 3:07 pm

The brand of helmet upon which I attach DaBrim is Bell. No problems in the wind.

I am trying to remember the discussion where one poster exclaimed “People who think they know everything are really getting on the nerves of those of us who do.” The search function doesn’t work very well on the forums. Anyone know which topic that was?

Anonymous, April 14, 2016 at 3:26 pm

da brim. you need to bath in sunsceen. 100 spf. and every chance you get drink a cold on. ha ha!1

Michrider !!!, April 14, 2016 at 4:30 pm

: da brim. you need to bath in sunsceen. 100 spf. and every chance you get drink a cold on. ha ha

fu, once again you resolved a problem!!!

T. Gap Woo, April 15, 2016 at 9:06 am

I use a wide-brimmed fishing hat (think: Colonel Blake’s hat on M*A*S*H). It is not only wide enough to shade my forehead and nose, which tend to burn, but also wide enough to protect both of my hearing aids during a rain or super-soaker attack. I use a high-SPF lip balm, mostly to protect from windburn. Good luck!

See you along the I-O-Way in 100 days.

Sue DiPiano, April 19, 2016 at 12:47 pm

So I thought I would post an update. Good news I finally realized that I was trying to secure the Da-Brim too low on my helmet. I figured it out and now I have no problems. I even rode down a seriously steep hill going 41 mph without it coming off of my helmet. See you in Iowa. I’ll be the white haired lady with the Blue Da-Brim shading my face.

Sue

Sandaltan ., April 19, 2016 at 2:31 pm

Success!!

RIDE RIGHT

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015

RAGBRAI XLII – 2014