Join Us in July - Register Today!

Davenport Dip Site birds Eye View

One of the perks of my job is the occasional birds eye view. I was realigning a microwave antenna today on the Kahl Building tower. The view on the river valley is exceptional on a clear day. I snapped a few pics today of down town, Centennial and LeClaire Parks.

The green space in the center  is Centennial Park. The location of the dip site and vendor area. the bridge in the distance is Crescent RR Bridge.

A view of Centennial Bridge and LeClaire Park. Note the bike trail behind the band shell. To the Right side of the image. You can see the outfield of Modern Woodman Park. 

To the upper left is the worlds largest roller d a m, Lock and D a m 15. Right Center is the world renown Figge Art Museum. Just above the left side of the Figge you can see the Skywalk. I would recommend going on the Skywalk. You will get a nice view of the river and d a m.

Looking upriver you see Wells Fargo Bank on the right. The newly restored Black Hawk Hotel center-left and 3rd St.

5 Replies

John L, June 16, 2011 at 8:14 pm

Wow great pics, Tony!  Now I have a feel for the town. We will do the sky walk.  Hope to see you and buy you a beer!

pmac, June 17, 2011 at 7:27 am

Thanks for the pics, Tony.  The Davenport tourism people ought to hire you.  You’re a great ambassador for your home town. 

Just Krusin, June 17, 2011 at 8:27 am

Tony didn’t add that most if not all the green space was under flood waters not too long ago.  The City of Davenport does such a great job handling floods that even FEMA doesn’t give them money anymore because there is so little damage.  And this is without a permanent flood wall that takes away the river view.  Oh the ball park doesn’t flood at all, they set up an elevated walk way for the fans to get to the games. 

Tony, June 17, 2011 at 11:56 am

In the first picture.  To add what JK was talking about. The entire area in the photo was under 2 to 3 feet of water last month. The city has always done an excellent job with flooding.

Looking down Marquette St toward the dip site from 3rd St. The river was over 2nd ST just behind the squad. The road closed sign in the river is at HY61 River Dr.

The flood wall at Perry St and 2nd. Front St Brewery is on the corner. The dike held and all the business were OK.

Taken from the Skywalk 1 week before the crest. Looking down river at the bandshell and Modern Woodman Park. Centennial Park is on the farside of the bridge. The river went up about another foot in a half.

The city has removed all the mud and yuk left from the flooding. Credit Island is still closed. But will open soon. The city clean up crews. Which include the fire dept should be commended, again.

Pirate Brewer, June 17, 2011 at 8:48 pm

Tony, the tower work looks like it could be fun except during the winter.  Thanks for sharing the pictures and all the other information in the forum.

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XXXIX – 2011’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters