RAGBRAI LI Route Announced on Jan. 27!

DAY 0 – Sat ride to the river…???

Last year everything west of the interstate was either flooded or closed. I’m guessing that this year will be different and that a ride down to the river on Saturday will be possible. Does anyone know if there will be a semi-official route down to the river? Or will this once again be discouraged?

109 Replies

Iceman, April 27, 2012 at 1:22 pm

Sandaltan: If you were driving Iceman, you could “dip” in the Missouri River on the way north.RIDE RIGHT

Nope – flying into Omaha late at night, catching PBV bus early next morning.

Iceman, May 4, 2012 at 11:57 am

Anyone given more thought to the best place to dip, be it the Big Sioux or the Missouri?

Iceman, May 6, 2012 at 8:46 am

well?

Sandaltan ., May 6, 2012 at 9:20 am

Iceman, if I get over to the West Coast (of Iowa) this summer I will pick up a quart of Missouri River water for you just in case. However; I am positive the Sioux Center RAGBRAI Committee has this dippy item on their agenda. It is a long standing tradition and shame on the community that failed to observe that tradition.

RIDE RIGHT

Matt, May 14, 2012 at 7:43 am

Bumping this thread for newcomers, as another thread was created for this question.

Michrider !!!, May 14, 2012 at 8:11 am

Sandaltan:
Iceman, if I get over to the West Coast (of Iowa) this summer I will pick up a quart of Missouri River water for you just in case.However; I am positive the Sioux Center RAGBRAI Committee has this dippy item on their agenda.It is a long standing tradition and shame on the community that failed to observe that tradition.

RIDE RIGHT

I just happen to have a bottle of Missouri River water that I’ve been saving for just such an occasion! In fact it’s specially bottled and comes in a 4-pack!!! I’ll be sure to pack it along for Iceman!!!!

Michrider !!!, May 14, 2012 at 8:14 am

jwsknk, June 4, 2012 at 11:05 am

so no pre-ride report for day Aught from TJ and crew?

bevelyn382, June 4, 2012 at 12:09 pm

We plan on riding to the river to dip our tire but hopefully they will let us know a safe route there and back. I agree that setting up a dip tank or child’s wading pool is not the same. Last year I know that they did their best to bring the river to us but like most we prefer to stand on the river bank and dip our tires.

cubbies1945, June 5, 2012 at 12:39 am

Will it be weird if I dip in the Mighty MO in Missouri? I cross over it leaving Columbia, then follow it all the way up I-29 to Sioux City. I may dip in Missouri, Sioux City, and Clinton. Lol

jwsknk, June 5, 2012 at 7:47 am

Cubbie, dip wherever you want. That’s another of those “silly traditions” as Karras calls them, that he has no idea how or where it started.

WrightBrother, June 5, 2012 at 1:56 pm

jwsknk:
Cubbie, dip wherever you want. That’s another of those “silly traditions” asKarras calls them, that he has no idea how or where it started.

jwsknk,
Actually, he should know how this “silly tradition” started; for Donald Kaul’s last entry for “The Great Six-Day Bicycle Ride,” he wrote that the ride “ended with the traditional dipping of the front tire in the Mississippi River.” Thus, though he was only joking at the time, Kaul himself begat the tradition of tire-dipping.

Matt, June 11, 2012 at 9:46 am

For me it’s less about the river water and more about those last 15 miles of Iowa that would be “uncrossed” if I don’t head to the river. I also just found out that I will head out west on a road trip this month that will allow me to cross South Dakota off my list. For this reason, I’m now considering the park by the river rather than Hudson, SD.

mustridebikes, June 12, 2012 at 7:46 pm

I’ll be catching one of the early PBV buses from Omaha on Saturday and will be taking off for the river for a tire dip. I’ll be the tall guy from Colorado riding a Bianchi, feel free to say hi and tag along!
-Chris

Jeremy, June 12, 2012 at 10:54 pm

Well, I have good news for those whishing to ride on B-40 from oak grove to Sioux Center. Last Saturday I went on a ride with the others that are coming with me on Ragbrai, and low and behold B-40 is getting repaved!! I don’t know if they are doing the whole thing, but they are doing the east 4 miles. That will make a much smother ride, the last time I went down a road as rough as the old one I almost turned back.

Viewing 15 replies - 46 through 60 (of 109 total)

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XL – 2012’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI