RAGBRAI LI July 20 -27, 2024

Day 4 Boone to Altoona

West from Boone on old 30 (came up that hill a couple of years ago heading to Boone and Ames) up the hill by 7 Oaks, Moingoina, up the hill into Madrid, Slater, Huxley, Cambridge, White Oak (Winery), Elkhart, down into the Skunk River valley and back up to Bondurant, then Altoona.

79 Replies

Michrider !!!, February 10, 2011 at 9:03 am

jwsknk said: Really, there’s a Skunk River??? HH, it goes right through Ames. someplace between  Toona and Grinnell we will cross the South Skunk and the North Skunk. Doubt we will cross it between Boone and Toona, unless they decide another hill is needed. Swine Mt. not as bad a Potters just one of those sneeky ones, with the cruve 1/2 way up that hides the steeper part. but after that several easy miles and only 1 more hill.

“Only 1 more hill”.  I’ve never heard that before!!!!

jwsknk, February 10, 2011 at 9:05 am

Michrider said:
“Only 1 more hill”.  I’ve never heard that before!!!!

I’m a local, trust me, I drive it all the time.

helenheart, February 10, 2011 at 9:36 am

jwsknk said:

Michrider said: “Only 1 more hill”.  I’ve never heard that before!!!!

I’m a local, trust me, I drive it all the time.

You have a car, Skunky????

What a great name for a team if the river goes right through your town – who’da thunk(skunk)? xo

jwsknk, February 10, 2011 at 9:56 am

guess it was a real stinker of a river for the early settlers. ALOL( almost laughing out loud).

“I’m a local, trust me, I drive it all the time”. just another lie by the locals.
but yes I do and I have ridden those roads around Boone, Madrid, Slater, Huxley, Cambridge, Elkhart, Bondurant. I know there are ways they can find or avoid hills. Maybe we will go by White Oak winery just for you.

HornetHigh, February 10, 2011 at 11:20 pm

jwsknk, what do you think the chances are that they will take it through Huxley, Slater, or Cambridge?  I am orginally from Huxley and went to Ballard HS, but haven’t been back in the area much lately.  Would love it if it went through one or all 3 of those towns.

jwsknk, February 11, 2011 at 8:10 am

HornetHigh said: jwsknk, what do you think the chances are that they will take it through Huxley, Slater, or Cambridge?  I am orginally from Huxley and went to Ballard HS, but haven’t been back in the area much lately.  Would love it if it went through one or all 3 of those towns.

I think there is almost 100% for at least one of them, all 3 would be easy on E63 then south to White Oak, Elkhart, Toona.

geoclark0003, February 13, 2011 at 7:14 pm

Need some help, We are driving up to boone fron houston texas and then stayin in altoona overnight to leave the next morning for texas, the schdeule is a little confusing, should we book a room in altoona for tuesday night or wednesday night? Looks to me that the ride starts in boone tuesday morning and ends in altoona tuesday evening, then starts in altoona on wednesday morning, is that right???

rfattic, February 13, 2011 at 8:15 pm

The ride will arrive in Boone Tuesday and Leave for Altoona Wednesday morning arriving in Altoona Wednesday afternoon/evening.  Hope this helps.

jwsknk, March 8, 2011 at 1:29 pm

This is from the bridge last year looking north during the flooding, That’s Highwy 210 just out of the water. Madrid is off to the right.

jwsknk, March 8, 2011 at 1:44 pm

these are the piers before the new deck and how the vally usually looks, it’s about 1/2 mile to the other side

jwsknk, March 8, 2011 at 1:57 pm

same side of the piers with the deck done, no art yet on the bridge during  flood of July 2010

Mary, March 8, 2011 at 2:10 pm

“Sooner or later you’ll ride through Slater”!!

jwsknk, March 8, 2011 at 2:20 pm

Mary said: “Sooner or later you’ll ride through Slater”!!

but from Madrid or Kelly? I’m sure the Take Down will be ready.

Mary, March 8, 2011 at 2:38 pm

1994—-we rode through Slater and they were passing out metal buttons with that slogan, “Sooner or later you’ll ride through Slater”  I actually haven’t looked at a map to figure out where we might go, lol.

jwsknk, March 8, 2011 at 2:48 pm

I keep hearing through Luther, Kelly, Slater. and I thought they wanted to at least show off the bridge, it’s 10 miles west on the traIl from Slater so if people want to see it, add 20 miles to the day, but hey, it’s a short day and so is the next. I would not use 17 from Luther to Madrid.

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 79 total)

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XXXIX – 2011’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters