RAGBRAI LI Route Announced on Jan. 27!

Day 6, Grinnell to Coralville

don’t know this area very well, need Iowa City locals to weigh in.

44 Replies

Zinger, March 15, 2011 at 8:13 am

Bacchettaman said:

Zinger said:  Less enjoyable was the year I rode with a bad case of poison ivy!!

Where, on your body, did you have your little “outbreak?”  :P

Thankfully, it was midthigh and below! I had no idea what it was until I asked a medic the second day. Told him I’d been canoeing on July 4th. His advice was to pee in the river, not in the weeds!! That was my first and hopefully last outbreak ever!!

Ragbrai Nation, March 15, 2011 at 8:53 am

I think I’m going to be a ragbrai medic!  :D

jwsknk, March 25, 2011 at 11:06 am

nice stretch in the middle of the day.

Michrider !!!, March 25, 2011 at 2:22 pm

Once we get through the first two days, the rest of the week looks like fun!!

knees36, March 26, 2011 at 6:44 pm

Yep, every day will be fun.  I hope it’s a bit foggy on the first day…the last time we went from Glenwood to…somewhere…but going through Silver City, the fog was so thick that it was like a dense cloud.  We broke through the cloud(s) and  was above it…the tops of hills, silos, barns ,etc., were down below and showing above the fog…just like we were travelling in mountains.  Really a cool sight…dang,  I elected to not take my camera that year. 

“Bicycle Bill”, March 27, 2011 at 2:53 am

knees36 said: Yep, every day will be fun.  I hope it’s a bit foggy on the first day…the last time we went from Glenwood to…somewhere…but going through Silver City, the fog was so thick that it was like a dense cloud.  We broke through the cloud(s) and  was above it…the tops of hills, silos, barns ,etc., were down below and showing above the fog…just like we were travelling in mountains.  Really a cool sight…dang,  I elected to not take my camera that year. 

I would no sooner ride RAGBRAI without my camera than I would ride it without my helmet or cycling gloves.

-“BB”-

Michrider !!!, March 27, 2011 at 5:55 am

“Bicycle Bill” said:

knees36 said: Yep, every day will be fun.  I hope it’s a bit foggy on the first day…the last time we went from Glenwood to…somewhere…but going through Silver City, the fog was so thick that it was like a dense cloud.  We broke through the cloud(s) and  was above it…the tops of hills, silos, barns ,etc., were down below and showing above the fog…just like we were travelling in mountains.  Really a cool sight…dang,  I elected to not take my camera that year. 

I would no sooner ride RAGBRAI without my camera than I would ride it without my helmet or cycling gloves.-“BB”-
Hey Beebs, are you going to be able to make RAGBRAI this year?

knees36, March 27, 2011 at 8:53 am

“Bicycle Bill” said:

I would no sooner ride RAGBRAI without my camera than I would ride it without my helmet or cycling gloves.-“BB”-

I know it was a poor decision…and how  I’ve regretted it.  Later on, on that RAG,  I bought one of those funky little cameras in a drug store that you send in for the developing of the pics and it came back to me…”address is undeliverable.”  So,  I still have the camera, but no pictures…except what’s inside the camera.  Does anyone know where the film can be developed…they’d have to tear the camera apart to get to the film. 

“Bicycle Bill”, March 28, 2011 at 1:07 am

You should be able to take that camera to any commercial developer like Walgreens, who should be able to process the film.  Assuming it’s 35-mm color film and no more than 27 exposure, it shouldn’t cost you more than seven or eight bucks.  Add about three bucks more if you want them to scan the images onto a digital CD so you are able to upload them into your computer and share them with us.

-“BB”-

knees36, March 28, 2011 at 7:58 am

Thanks for the heads-up, Beebs.  I was  going to try that…just never got around to it yet.  I’ll give it a “shot.”

Sandaltan ., June 25, 2011 at 10:15 am

Bump.  Yeah it is raining.

RIDE RIGHT

jwsknk, June 30, 2011 at 2:25 pm

everything inside the main event area?
Entertainment:
38 Special presented by Two Rivers Bank & Trust is scheduled to perform in the Town Center Parking Ramp at the RAGBRAI overnight celebration on July 29.  Concert tickets are $10 and free for anyone wearing the official RAGBRAI wristband.  Buy tickets

In addition to our headline band, riders and residents will enjoy a variety of on-stage performances, activities, and entertainment!

AnnG, June 30, 2011 at 2:58 pm

I remember that RAGBRAI went through the Amana Colonies about 4 or 5 years ago.  The Amanas are famous as an Iowa tourist attraction that involves food.  However, I remember being surprised at how hard it was to find something to eat that day.  I was glad that at least those villages are close together, so that when we rode through one and came up with nothing, at least we had another possibility just a few miles down the road.  Homestead was the only place in the Amanas with more than one vendor.  I had known ahead of time, I would have brought granola bars along.  According to the blog, West Amana and Homestead will be serving food this year.  Do you think it will be safe to leave the granola bars in the duffle bag that day?

rjjensenia, June 30, 2011 at 6:23 pm

jwsknk said: everything inside the main event area? Entertainment:38 Special presented by Two Rivers Bank & Trust is scheduled to perform in the Town Center Parking Ramp at the RAGBRAI overnight celebration on July 29.  Concert tickets are $10 and free for anyone wearing the official RAGBRAI wristband.  Buy ticketsIn addition to our headline band, riders and residents will enjoy a variety of on-stage performances, activities, and entertainment!

I live one block from that parking lot. I will be surprised if  that is where the stage for 38 special will be located. There is not enough room.  To the immediate west of that lot is the library, and just south is the new performing arts center (still under construction) I would guess the concert will be very close to the city pool in Morrison Park.

Viewing 14 replies - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XXXIX – 2011’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters

Friends of RAGBRAI