Day Six, full route. Thoughts?

It looks like a bunch of rollers for around the first 30 miles. Kalona will be fun.

9 Replies

Barry Schintler, March 16, 2018 at 10:03 am

I went to school in Wellman, and Kalona. I was hoping that we would be stopping back in these towns. I couldn’t be happier with this leg!

jwsknk, March 16, 2018 at 10:26 am

Year 36 and new towns 2, 3 and 4 for the week on this day. Aspinwall, Wellman, Keota, Hills. Fills in a bit more of the map. Lets see if TJ can surprise me with something new on day 7.

Chad Frana, March 16, 2018 at 12:57 pm

I know these roads well. My only concern is HWY22. This road is busy all day, every day. Hopefully some of the traffic will find a different route on this day.

rjjensenia, March 16, 2018 at 1:00 pm

IA-22, is not much fun on any given day, but on ragbrai, i bet it will be fine. What year did Ragbrai last pass through Hills? Mid 90s???? I see we do not hit sand road until after Hills. That makes for a much hiller route, but it does let us grab a brew at The Old 218 Tap.

This reply was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by  rjjensenia.

igor, March 16, 2018 at 2:05 pm

I imagine Kalona Brewing will be a popular stop. I know I plan on having a beer there.

Chris Miller, March 16, 2018 at 7:25 pm

My dream is complete…Riverside Iowa! The “future birthplace of Captain James T. Kirk”. What a great bit of Americana.

Ragbrai Nation, March 21, 2018 at 3:29 pm

Vehicle traffic is discouraged (tho, not banned) from using the Ragbrai route. Most drivers comply with the suggestion of using an alternate route when they realize using Ragbrai route will slow them down. Once in awhile some idiot motorist, thinking he’s doing us a favor, will come flying, opposite direction, at speed with his right wheels on the shoulder, slinging gravel at everybody and onto the roadway. Thankfully doesn’t happen very often.

Linda Wiard-Bauer, May 15, 2018 at 1:39 pm

Christopher Miller: “My dream is complete…Riverside Iowa! The “future birthplace of Captain James T. Kirk”. What a great bit of Americana.”

COOL! Thanks for the heads up!

This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by  Linda Wiard-Bauer.

This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by  Linda Wiard-Bauer.

Larry Klaaren, May 15, 2018 at 2:43 pm

Sort of OT, but three or four years ago, I had to make an emergency trip to Oskaloosa because my mom was dying. I knew RAGBRAI was coming through on 92, but I thought by 6 o’clock it would have been past or mostly past on their way from Sigourney to Washington, riding Iowa Highway 92. However, it rained that day, and probably everyone was running late. Anyway, there was no good alternate route by the time I met RAGBRAI at intersection of the road that goes south out of Wellman and 92. There were probably 40 cars in a line driving about 30-35 going west. Some guy was driving down the middle of the road, toward us, on a bicycle trying to wave all the cars to the side of the road (we already were) and fingering us all. Don’t be that guy.
BTW, that first four or five miles out of Sigourney that we will ride on Friday are kind of steep as is most of the route from Deep River to Sigourney. That will be fun on Thursday, which seems to be will be the most mentally tough day.

This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by  Larry Klaaren.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

Looking for RIDES

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2020

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015