Join Us in July - Register Today!

DC Area Riders?

Hello. If you are from DC or the immediate area and want to get together between now and the ride, let me know. Glad to meet fellow cyclists from the area to have new friends on the ride.

39 Replies

HelenP, May 5, 2023 at 2:35 pm

Need some pedal powered insanity? Tomorrow, Saturday, is the Kinetic Sculpture Race around (and in!) Baltimore’s harbor. I’ve not been before, but it looks like fun, and cyclist spectators seem welcome. We’ll be spending most of the day elsewhere, but hope to stop by for a little while to see some of it.

https://kineticbaltimore.com/

dozierpb1, May 5, 2023 at 7:16 pm

HelenP that Baltimore ride looks fun! I can’t wait to hear what the elevations looked like. My favorite east coast ride Starts in Cockeysville MD north of Baltimore (The NCRR trail) which goes to York PA 40 miles of flat gravel trail following a creek. Here is a restaurant in Baltimore I recommend. You can take the water ferry from the w/bike across the Bay.
https://goo.gl/maps/oYxwFGszrz2yV68F9
Patrick Hilary

HelenP, May 5, 2023 at 10:51 pm

Hmm, and that’taco place is just a few hundred feet around the corner from Joe’s Bike Shop, too.

I’ve only done a little of the NCRR trail, and want to get back to it.

Still no luck for my narrow feet at REI and other local shops, but I might have finally found some bike shoes at Trek; they’re ordering the next half and full sizes up — one should fit me. They’re simple lace up MTB flats without cleats, but seem stiff soled yet comfy enough for both long rides and hike-a-biking. *crosses fingers*
I’ll keep looking for narrow, recessed cleat shoes, but at least these should work.

dozierpb1, June 16, 2023 at 2:51 am

Big Ride Sat morning early. Point of rocks MD past Harpers Ferry 35 north flip it. (C&O canal. Trail may be wet. Tires 40 x 700 or fatter….ive seen road bikes…if its wet thats a mistake. Pack a lunch :) getting close… sunday pw parkway early 20 mile loop. Hills. Have a great weekend

dozierpb1, June 16, 2023 at 2:55 am

Have you considered flat pedaling? Good luck with the shoes. You may want to look at expensive road shoes like Sedi…yikes

Kerry Olson, June 16, 2023 at 6:11 pm

Hi DMV Area Cyclists!
I haven’t been on the forums much this year, so just saw this thread. This will be my second RAGBRAI. I live in East Capital Hill. I’m on a road bike with 32mm tires. I need some new routes or training inspiration!

I just passed the 1000 miles mark for the year, and it feels like I’ve cycled the Anacostia Trail, the W&OD, and the Arlington Loop 1000 x each! All of my teammates are across the country, so I’ve mostly been training solo. None of my DC friends want to spend their Saturday riding 60+ miles! Three day weekend of riding for me. Got any ideas??

HelenP, June 16, 2023 at 11:23 pm

Welcome, Kerry! Have you yet tried the BWI loop trail, the Baltimore Annapolis Trail, or the NCR Trail north from Cockeysville and continuing into Pennsylvania?

Closer to DC, you can follow the trails or C&O towpath from DC up to
— Kenwood neighborhood, or else
— stay along the river and maybe go dancing at Glen Echo Park.

HelenP, June 16, 2023 at 11:40 pm

P & H, I have “barefoot” platform pedals, flat with a grippy silicon rubber surface, although I’m not gonna pedal 500 miles shoeless, eek! *wry grin*

Had no luck on those other shoes. I might end up getting new soles on the old fencing shoes I’ve used before.

Hey, at least I finally had some great luck yesterday. As well as my desperate shoe hunting, I’ve been desperate bike box or case hunting, too.

Got my teammate to join me late last night, to look for free bike boxes at a local bike shop’s trash dumpster, and there was just one — but deep enough for my 700c folding bike, yippee! It’s almost twice as long as needed, but I plan to do some shortening surgery on it, involving cutting and heavy stapling. The bike’s about 36 x 28″ x 12″ when folded. This is the first time I’ll be taking it on a flight, then we’ll ship them home from Davenport. PBV will keep our boxes for us.

HelenP, June 16, 2023 at 11:45 pm

Wish I were out riding with all of you! I’m averaging one substantial illness per month lately — respiratory, then severe food poisoning, now more coughing. Here’s hoping there’s none in store for me next month!!! I am sooo behind on my training.

Viewing 9 replies - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters