The Register's Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa

DEAL ON HAWAII LODGING for ride MINNEAPOLIS to ONAWA, DAVENPORT to CHICAGO

ALOHA ALL! I live on the BIG ISLAND of HAWAII and need some ride help. I need to get me and my bike from Minneapolis(Richfield) to Onawa ride start on Saturday and the from Davenport to Chicago. Maybe no bike with me Davenport to Chicago. I have a vacation rental which I can deal for some good help! I have good references from people who helped in past RAGBRAI and you can see the vacation rental on Craigslist. Thanks for reading this, jon

10 Replies

Dan Nierling, April 18, 2018 at 6:06 pm

This might be within the realm of possibility for me and my small group. Brother is from Chi and we’ll be taking him back and we’re not terribly far from MN. Contact me and let’s talk.

Jon Hopcia, April 19, 2018 at 2:06 pm

STILL LOOKING FOR OPTIONS!!! Thanks Dan, hope to be in touch.

Jon Hopcia, April 22, 2018 at 4:05 am

I’m still looking for options please……

Jon Hopcia, May 1, 2018 at 10:11 pm

mootsman, May 2, 2018 at 7:37 am

John,

You’re looking for a nearly free ride from the airport in Minneapolis to RAGBRAI and a return ride also. The odds of getting one are very (very) long that someone would do that who is also looking to vaca at your place. There are maybe 75 people tops from the Twin Cities riding RAGBRAI each year. Most of those are on teams. Maybe time to think about how to do this on your own maybe.

There are many ways to do that. One would be rent a car 1 way to Davenport (Enterprise is the only option). Then sign up for a charter like Pork Belly. And making sure you get to the car rental by noon on the following Saturday (when they close) to rent it 1 way back. One variation that may be less strict on time is ending your RAGBRAI in Iowa City and renting there on Friday. Of course the team I mentioned is a much cheaper way to go. The team leads would need to OK you both first.

Also much easier to do on the car rental side would be to check out Team Sop-N-Wet as they stage from Ames which has 1-way car rentals. Ames would have better hours for car rental places. But a team out of Minneapolis would be cheapest option.

“Bicycle Bill”, May 2, 2018 at 9:20 am

Not trying to start anything, mootsman, but I dare say there are more than 75 people from the Twin Cities metroplex (and I consider anything within sixty miles or so to be part of said metroplex) who are regular RAGBRAI riders.  The rest of your post, of course, is spot on.  But let’s give Jon credit for offering something which, to the right person under the right circumstances, could be enough to seal a deal.

-“BB”-

Mick Conrad, May 2, 2018 at 10:36 am

For your Davenport to Chicago leg, you can easily do a one-way car rental from the Quad Cities airport. The car rental hours at the airport are much better than those of the local Davenport rental options (I believe someone noted those close at noon.), and the airport is just under 10 miles from the dip site. Between shuttles, Uber, friendly locals, or just riding, there are solid options to get to the airport and a rental car. This how we’re getting back to KC from the finish.

For Minneapolis to Onawa, it’s not ideal, but you could rent one-way to the Sioux City airport, which is 40 miles from Onawa. Between the transportation noted above plus all the RAGBRAI riders heading towards Onawa through Sioux City, you have options.

I’m a big fan of one-way car rentals, but they can be difficult–and sometimes impossible–when you’re dealing with small towns vs. bigger cities/airports.

Jon Hopcia, May 2, 2018 at 12:18 pm

Thanks Mootsman, Bicycle Bill & Mick. I’m still looking for help/opotions. Aloha!

Derek Fye, May 2, 2018 at 3:33 pm

My brother’s live in Minneapolis. He said he is interested in possibly bringing you down to Onawa and taking you to Chicago. Anyway I can get your number to give to him so you guys can chat more and hopefully set something up?

Jon Hopcia, May 16, 2018 at 10:28 pm

I’m still looking for options..! Aloha and Mahalo!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Categories

RAGBRAI XLVII – 2019

RAGBRAI XLVI – 2018

Training

RAGBRAI XLV – 2017

RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

RAGBRAI XLIII – 2015

RAGBRAI XLII – 2014

RAGBRAI XLI – 2013